What's new
What's new

0t--OSHA, workers comp and free rigging

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
in 2016 the State of Alaska referred a journeyman metal fabricator for evaluation of hearing loss
the story--

Darrell was 42 year old metal worker relining off road dump boxes with sheets 12 ft x 4 and 8 ft width x 3/8" mild steel
no overhead crane in the Anchorage shop--a co-worker attached plate clamp to hook suspended in drilled passage thru fork lift tine -- proper lift proceedure should have employed 2 horizontal rated plate clamps at mid section of sheet

one vertical plate clamp was used on end of 12 ft workpiece--lift required 15 ft height at which point sheet fell from clamp making considerable noise--no contact occured to any worker

worker had immediate hearing loss, tinnitus disorientation
two Alaska ent docs provided split opinions on injury--one indicating permanent harm consequence of event--the other
stated hearing loss from extensive firearm use with no occupational injury--my opinion would be tie breaker

as Darrell related the event he referred to "free rigging"-- a proceedure not approved by OSHA--according to his lawyer

I was not familiar with the term but employed the practice weekly

according to OSHA--“Free rigging is the direct attachment to or placement of rigging equipment (slings, shackles, rings, etc.) onto the tines of a powered industrial truck for a below-the-tines lift. This type of lift does not use an approved lifting attachment. elevating this risk is common practice of thru drilling distal fork tine for bolt suspending load--

OSHA provides one variance for free rigging--with or without fork tine penetration--manufacturer approval citing make, model, serial no or certification from professional engineer with certificate and stamp competent to provide similar opinion

in my circumstance--I could not perform mechanical tasks without free rigging

in Darrell's case--I provided an apportioned opinion--hearing loss from insured employment and recreational firearm use

Attachments

• 100_0630.jpg
    100_0630.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 238
  • free.jpg
    free.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 202
  • ohsa-free.jpg
    ohsa-free.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 216
Are there approved lifting accessories that will attach to forks that provide an eye or hook to eliminate wrapping chains around a fork?

Are there approved lifting accessories that will attach to forks that provide an eye or hook to eliminate wrapping chains around a fork?

it seems many of these lifting attachments are asian sourced--tech data may point out ansi standards are met--
that is typically materials, joinery--weld, fasteners etc but has no bearing on how the product is used--
OSHA does not endorse--the default position of OSHA is attachments must be approved by the powered lift truck manufacturer

OSHA--in a rare moment of clarity--posted a letter from the director stating multiple exposure limits were out of date--
I use that comment in legal depositions to defend my conclusions and recommendations--this comment has been removed from OSHA website

the US is now the most backward in the advanced manufacturing world with respect to worker exposures--HIPAA privacy rulings block information transfer into previously supplied anonomous databases

an ent colleague flew to Seoul Korea--gave a scholarly lecture after which his lap top disappeared--he reported this to
US Health and Human Services -- his four man group was assessed $1,250,000 fine for patient data loss violation

Attachments

• lift frame.jpg
    lift frame.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 98

No. There are jib booms that replace the forks and are approved for overhead lifting by the manufacturer.

Ask them how they'd feel about this :D

View attachment 327136

Nothing like watching a 40' boat flying through the air at 30 mph :eek:

And no, he doesn't drop them down because then he can't see .... wa.

I worked with an engineer that worked for Clark when
they first got into this market.
Sticking brakes for the first use of the day, "Morning sickness" was a problem....that he fixed.

As with a Engineer that has no real job experience yet he is changing production procedures.
The ruling parties [OSHA] does not understand the limitations they put on workers getting the job done. Safety First, I agree
That video of the worker dying was sad but the fork lift driver was swinging that container from a raised boom, with the load off center and to high off the floor. The victim should have been 30' away. 20/20 hind site.
OSHA investigates those accidents and punishes everyone with unrealistic rules. Rules dont always prevent those accidents. Workers do.
The costs added to companies procedures adapting to OSHA rules put companies out of business. I was a Union guy. Unions got carried away with rules and hurt profits

OSHA put my employer under. as a printer we had a printing unit catch fire. maybe twice a year. We put it out and went back to work. A panicked office worker seen a fire and called the FD.. (osha came in and demanded the owner put in a million dollar fire suppression system. The owner closed the business. I liked my job.

I got wrote up in a union shop for moving a skid of paper 20 feet. I had paged the material handler twice. My machine was going to have to be shut off. The operator had already carried paper twice.
The shop steward got hard nosed. I told him Ill move material to keep my three machines running. It's about making money not silly rules.. Nit pickin BS

Other countries got our work because this s;;t.

Be Safe, Be Careful

Here is a riG i built 7 years ago to put trusses up. I lifted trusses over front wall.
I rented sizzor lift to put purlons on.
Osha approved.

015bfcd54d9b1012812ec69396774a24967b322c9c_00001.jpg

Cannot say I have heard the term "free lift" before, but have done it thousands of times, including today.

A free lift gone wrong, warning, someone died.
Workplace Accident - Crushed - Leakreality.com Uncensored news, politics, latest news, unbiased news, humor,

Plenty of blame to go around, but the guy was distracted for 1, and if he was going to be that close, he should have been stabilizing the swinging load 2.
But in the case of the lift falling over, I'm afraid this fella has no real world experience felling trees.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Very sad video, but so avoidable !
I remember a safety video about 50 years ago - yes it stuck with me !
A forklift, forks raised very high, with a suspended load.
There was an arrow on the center of the load pointing down to the ground.
The point was as the load swings, if the arrow moved beyond the width of the forklift tires, it would tip over.
Shortening the length of the chains / lowering the forks reduced effect enormously.
Bob

Here is a riG i built 7 years ago to put trusses up. I lifted trusses over front wall.
I rented sizzor lift to put purlons on.
Osha approved.

View attachment 327284
Oh come on now....should have put an employee up there right on the hook, to help unhook the trusses.....:D
Like I show in attached pix.

FWIW I made a spreader "J" hook weldment to set qty (2) trusses at one time 4' apart.
They were "X" braced on the ground, flew into place, and the crane operator could swing just a little
after landing them to release the "J" hooks.

No man on ladder in center needed for unhooking the strap.

Attachments

• roof1-reduced.JPG
    roof1-reduced.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 43
Cannot say I have heard the term "free lift" before, but have done it thousands of times, including today.

A free lift gone wrong, warning, someone died.
Workplace Accident - Crushed - Leakreality.com Uncensored news, politics, latest news, unbiased news, humor,

The worker made a mistake that many do, trying to save the "thing" being moved.
He biggest error, being in the "Zone of safety", to close to the moving equipment and load to get out of the way.

This is really good info and thanks for sharing, I have also done it 1001 times (minus the hole burned in the fork) not knowing it was a violation.

It is completely stable, doesn't seem to violate any principles of statics nor capacities of any of the individual rigging elements so seems more about "who is going to own the liability for the practice"

In any case I will be ordering some underhung hook attachments.

Back