0t--OSHA, workers comp and free rigging
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 0t--OSHA, workers comp and free rigging

in 2016 the State of Alaska referred a journeyman metal fabricator for evaluation of hearing loss
    the story--

Darrell was 42 year old metal worker relining off road dump boxes with sheets 12 ft x 4 and 8 ft width x 3/8" mild steel
    no overhead crane in the Anchorage shop--a co-worker attached plate clamp to hook suspended in drilled passage thru fork lift tine -- proper lift proceedure should have employed 2 horizontal rated plate clamps at mid section of sheet

one vertical plate clamp was used on end of 12 ft workpiece--lift required 15 ft height at which point sheet fell from clamp making considerable noise--no contact occured to any worker

worker had immediate hearing loss, tinnitus disorientation
    two Alaska ent docs provided split opinions on injury--one indicating permanent harm consequence of event--the other
    stated hearing loss from extensive firearm use with no occupational injury--my opinion would be tie breaker

as Darrell related the event he referred to "free rigging"-- a proceedure not approved by OSHA--according to his lawyer

I was not familiar with the term but employed the practice weekly

according to OSHA--“Free rigging is the direct attachment to or placement of rigging equipment (slings, shackles, rings, etc.) onto the tines of a powered industrial truck for a below-the-tines lift. This type of lift does not use an approved lifting attachment. elevating this risk is common practice of thru drilling distal fork tine for bolt suspending load--

OSHA provides one variance for free rigging--with or without fork tine penetration--manufacturer approval citing make, model, serial no or certification from professional engineer with certificate and stamp competent to provide similar opinion

in my circumstance--I could not perform mechanical tasks without free rigging

in Darrell's case--I provided an apportioned opinion--hearing loss from insured employment and recreational firearm use
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0630.jpg   free.jpg   ohsa-free.jpg  

2. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHOLLAND1 View Post

in my circumstance--I could not perform mechanical tasks without free rigging
    Sure you can....how doo you expect US to get any work done following the same rules ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Are there approved lifting accessories that will attach to forks that provide an eye or hook to eliminate wrapping chains around a fork?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    Are there approved lifting accessories that will attach to forks that provide an eye or hook to eliminate wrapping chains around a fork?

it seems many of these lifting attachments are asian sourced--tech data may point out ansi standards are met--
    that is typically materials, joinery--weld, fasteners etc but has no bearing on how the product is used--
    OSHA does not endorse--the default position of OSHA is attachments must be approved by the powered lift truck manufacturer

OSHA--in a rare moment of clarity--posted a letter from the director stating multiple exposure limits were out of date--
    I use that comment in legal depositions to defend my conclusions and recommendations--this comment has been removed from OSHA website

the US is now the most backward in the advanced manufacturing world with respect to worker exposures--HIPAA privacy rulings block information transfer into previously supplied anonomous databases

an ent colleague flew to Seoul Korea--gave a scholarly lecture after which his lap top disappeared--he reported this to
    US Health and Human Services -- his four man group was assessed $1,250,000 fine for patient data loss violation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lift-frame.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No. There are jib booms that replace the forks and are approved for overhead lifting by the manufacturer.

7. Likes Mark Rand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

YES!
    Here is a link to tulsa chain who sells Caldwell load rated lifters for forklifts. Look at models 5, 10 and 15 in the link. From 3,000 lbs to 30,000lbs USA company - second link

Fork Truck Accessories

Contact - Caldwell Lifting Solutions

9. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JHOLLAND1 View Post
    according to OSHA--
    Ask them how they'd feel about this

long_rigging.jpg

Nothing like watching a 40' boat flying through the air at 30 mph

And no, he doesn't drop them down because then he can't see .... wa.

11. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cannot say I have heard the term "free lift" before, but have done it thousands of times, including today.

A free lift gone wrong, warning, someone died.
    Workplace Accident - Crushed - Leakreality.com Uncensored news, politics, latest news, unbiased news, humor,

13. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Ask them how they'd feel about this

long_rigging.jpg

Nothing like watching a 40' boat flying through the air at 30 mph

And no, he doesn't drop them down because then he can't see .... wa.
    I worked with an engineer that worked for Clark when
    they first got into this market.
    Sticking brakes for the first use of the day, "Morning sickness" was a problem....that he fixed.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Sticking brakes for the first use of the day, "Morning sickness" was a problem....that he fixed.
    You can see why ... I'm surprised the whole front half doesn't rot out in a year :
    pickemup.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    No. There are jib booms that replace the forks and are approved for overhead lifting by the manufacturer.
    Annoyingly, just buying that won't make OSHA happy. You have to ask the forklift manufacturer for permission to use it. If they say no or don't reply, you can get an engineer to sign off on it.

Interlinking | Occupational Safety and Health Administration)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As with a Engineer that has no real job experience yet he is changing production procedures.
    The ruling parties [OSHA] does not understand the limitations they put on workers getting the job done. Safety First, I agree
    That video of the worker dying was sad but the fork lift driver was swinging that container from a raised boom, with the load off center and to high off the floor. The victim should have been 30' away. 20/20 hind site.
    OSHA investigates those accidents and punishes everyone with unrealistic rules. Rules dont always prevent those accidents. Workers do.
    The costs added to companies procedures adapting to OSHA rules put companies out of business. I was a Union guy. Unions got carried away with rules and hurt profits

OSHA put my employer under. as a printer we had a printing unit catch fire. maybe twice a year. We put it out and went back to work. A panicked office worker seen a fire and called the FD.. (osha came in and demanded the owner put in a million dollar fire suppression system. The owner closed the business. I liked my job.

I got wrote up in a union shop for moving a skid of paper 20 feet. I had paged the material handler twice. My machine was going to have to be shut off. The operator had already carried paper twice.
    The shop steward got hard nosed. I told him Ill move material to keep my three machines running. It's about making money not silly rules.. Nit pickin BS

Other countries got our work because this s;;t.

Be Safe, Be Careful

Here is a riG i built 7 years ago to put trusses up. I lifted trusses over front wall.
    I rented sizzor lift to put purlons on.
    Osha approved.

015bfcd54d9b1012812ec69396774a24967b322c9c_00001.jpg

18. Likes JHOLLAND1, kb0thn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Cannot say I have heard the term "free lift" before, but have done it thousands of times, including today.

Workplace Accident - Crushed - Leakreality.com Uncensored news, politics, latest news, unbiased news, humor,

Plenty of blame to go around, but the guy was distracted for 1, and if he was going to be that close, he should have been stabilizing the swinging load 2.
    But in the case of the lift falling over, I'm afraid this fella has no real world experience felling trees.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

20. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very sad video, but so avoidable !
    I remember a safety video about 50 years ago - yes it stuck with me !
    A forklift, forks raised very high, with a suspended load.
    There was an arrow on the center of the load pointing down to the ground.
    The point was as the load swings, if the arrow moved beyond the width of the forklift tires, it would tip over.
    Shortening the length of the chains / lowering the forks reduced effect enormously.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mllud22 View Post

Here is a riG i built 7 years ago to put trusses up. I lifted trusses over front wall.
    I rented sizzor lift to put purlons on.
    Osha approved.

015bfcd54d9b1012812ec69396774a24967b322c9c_00001.jpg
    Oh come on now....should have put an employee up there right on the hook, to help unhook the trusses.....
    Like I show in attached pix.

FWIW I made a spreader "J" hook weldment to set qty (2) trusses at one time 4' apart.
    They were "X" braced on the ground, flew into place, and the crane operator could swing just a little
    after landing them to release the "J" hooks.

No man on ladder in center needed for unhooking the strap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roof1-reduced.jpg  

23. Likes mllud22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post

The worker made a mistake that many do, trying to save the "thing" being moved.
    He biggest error, being in the "Zone of safety", to close to the moving equipment and load to get out of the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is really good info and thanks for sharing, I have also done it 1001 times (minus the hole burned in the fork) not knowing it was a violation.

It is completely stable, doesn't seem to violate any principles of statics nor capacities of any of the individual rigging elements so seems more about "who is going to own the liability for the practice"

In any case I will be ordering some underhung hook attachments.