What's new
What's new

0t---soviet knock off GM 6-71 diesel

I was told by some old-timers that Russians came through the Chrysler Mound Road Engine plant in about 1954 or 55. The plant was said at that time to be the most automated plant in the world.

They took photos of everything ... and we, the workers were told to not take photos in the pant.

I was told by some old-timers that Russians came through the Chrysler Mound Road Engine plant in about 1954 or 55. The plant was said at that time to be the most automated plant in the world.

They took photos of everything ... and we, the workers were told to not take photos in the pant.
You believe that in the middle of the McCarthy hearings, while Nikita was pounding his shoe at the UN, the leadership of Chrysler invited a group from the Soviet Union to observe and photograph their most advanced auto plant ?

Right.

Buck, I am shaking my head.

You believe that in the middle of the McCarthy hearings, while Nikita was pounding his shoe at the UN, the leadership of Chrysler invited a group from the Soviet Union to observe and photograph their most advanced auto plant ?

Right.

Buck, I am shaking my head.

I'm not so sure the "Titans of Industry" back in the day were always patriotic, money was more important. If William Boyce Thompson had not involved himself with the Russian's he would have a better known legacy out here in Nevada, instead he is only a passing reference. Thompson started the town of East Ely, had he not become involved in the Russian Revolution he would most likely have finished it, and the town of McGill would not have been built. The Gunn-Thompson building is still standing, used as a warehouse, not sure anyone else knows its name/history.
William Boyce Thompson - Wikipedia

Somewhere in my ephemera collection I have some receipts from Kennecott Copper where they were selling hundreds of tons of ingots of blister copper to be used as "ships ballast" during WWII, to a German company.

Several of the men that were involved in demolishing the Kennecott smelter in the 70's told me that many of the steel beams were stamped with the german eagle/swastika logo, one of them cut one out and has it hanging on his living room wall, I suspect the story is correct.

Money talks.

while Nikita was pounding his shoe at the UN, the leadership of Chrysler invited a group from the Soviet Union to observe and photograph their most advanced auto plant ?

Right.

I got that same story from numerous guys in management and guys on the floor. No good reason they would tell lies.

Why would I lie about something?

Very likely these same guys. It is in the right time frame.
1955 in Michigan - Wikipedia
August 12 - A delegation of three Russians toured the Ford Rouge plant. After spending the morning touring the assembly line and eating roast beef and potato salad at the plant cafeteria, the Russians were allowed to have a test drive in the soon-to-be-released Lincoln Continental. After the test drive, one of the Russians said, "The engineers ...

I got that same story from numerous guys in management and guys on the floor. No good reason they would tell lies.

Why would I lie about something?
Not you, but "heard that story from" .... if I credited one tenth the stories I've heard, especially about commnists and Evil Managment and so on, I could write ridiculous teevee show scripts for the rest of my life.

Your original post implied that Chrysler management invited soviet automakers to come document and steal all our pwecious secwets, take photos even the loyal workers were not allowed, etc etc. It's a paranoid delusion.

Very likely these same guys. It is in the right time frame.
Did you look that up ? I will help. Three count 'em three soviet officials from their farm bureau were invited to the Henry Ford museum and a factory tour. They were so impressed they overstayed their schedule and had fun driving a t-bird and seeing the brand-new unreleased Continental. Here's the part you neglected to mention -

"Long after their schedule called for them to be heading back to the Statler Hotel they were still tramping the Rouge, trailed by a worn pack of photographers [emphasis mine] and plant officials determined not to be outwalked by the Communists. Rouge workers knew they were coming and tried to pick them out of the procession of other visitors. It wasn't easy."

Does this sound like a top-secret wholesale sellout of pwecioussss Amewican technology ? Or maybe just a normal old goodwill impress-the-crowd plant tour ? And the crowd of press photographers ? Not exactly "The Russians were allowed to take photos !" is it ?

If you read the rest of the article you'll see the funny part - with all the press photographers trailing them, Ford showed off the as-yet unreleased 56 Continental. Boom, no more secret :) And if you'e a GM guy, the Rooskies' remark "Caddeelack better watch out !" is rivalry-raising :)

I'm sticking with your guys' paranoid memories are incorrect. No one in the middle of McCarthyism is going to sell out pwecioussss technology. One breath of that kind of thing and Tailgunner Joe would make life a living huac-hell for any Chrysler exec.

Somewhere in my ephemera collection I have some receipts from Kennecott Copper where they were selling hundreds of tons of ingots of blister copper to be used as "ships ballast" during WWII, to a German company.

Several of the men that were involved in demolishing the Kennecott smelter in the 70's told me that many of the steel beams were stamped with the german eagle/swastika logo, one of them cut one out and has it hanging on his living room wall, I suspect the story is correct.

Money talks.

Very possible beams would probably be pre war so would be the 1930s
Got to remember there wasn’t much support in the US for the war in Europe, and there were
Some very pro Nazi people in industry.
Up until Dec. 1941 there would be nothing to prevent selling them the copper legally,
Invoiced like that.

Last edited:
qtt EG [I'm sticking with your guys' paranoid memories are incorrect. No one in the middle of McCarthyism is going to sell out pwecioussss technology. One breath of that kind of thing and Tailgunner Joe would make life a living huac-hell for any Chrysler exec.]

Well, I know what I know and you think what I know ..might as well let it go with that. It is a dumb aregument.

Back