What's new
What's new

0t---stress to yield---soft shackles

Soft shackle was pretty unimpressive, beating its rating by 1.12x. The steel shackle on the other hand, beat it by 7x+.

I >think< this is the steel shackle they tested, a whopping $10. Why would someone bother with anything else?

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
In a machine shop setting I can't see soft shackles being the thing to grab, but in the 4x4 community and boating as well (I'm sure many other activities use them as well) I have seen them used for all kinds of stuff. They are much lighter to carry, don't throw crazy shrapnel when they break, and they can be made out of rope if you know how.

And absolutely NOT for overhead lifting. In fact none of that shit was suitable. The screw pin shackle he had sells for $10 and change. Pure junk.

Would have been interestiung if he had tested three different style devices with same nominal rating. Looked to me as if any of the three would have given good service if used intelligently.. No sudden brittle failurs, all yielded very visibly long before failure

And absolutely NOT for overhead lifting. In fact none of that shit was suitable. The screw pin shackle he had sells for $10 and change. Pure junk.
Concur. Retail on a CM 3/4" shackle is about $30.

Triple the price but it's good for 8-1/2t and has a 6:1 design factor.

Sent via CNC 88HS

Who wants this to fail ?

If your fetching your vehicle from over a cliff, you don't want it to
fail near the top, and dumping it back down the hill.

Helpers could be killed.

Overload protection should be part of the winch, and not a total release
of the load, rather a clutch to slip above rated load.

Silly comparison- using WLL on bow shackle and MBS on soft..

Use the same safety factor and guess what- they both will do fine.

And..
The guy is buying junk- metal and soft.

Holding the largely failed soft shackle-
"hey you probably could still use this- just retie this here knot"...
It's like the guy has no ideal what he is talking about.
Who put this guy in front of a camera..

Anything to do with 4x4 Utube....sponsor money outranks facts by 10/1....thats the only safety margin these guys run to.

Gotcha- so basically the guy is getting a couple of cents a view for his infomercial for the yellow shackle and dopes are taking this stuff at face value?

One of the video reviews was right on spot:

"The title for this video should read "Trolling people who know lifting equipment, trying to kill those who don't""

LOL

The soft shackle is very popular on racing sailboats. Easy to make from a bit of spectra and a good diamond knot. We mostly use them at the end of a sheet that attaches to jib or spinnaker. I’ve never seen one fail, they are disposable so it’s best to change every few years. Where they really shine is their light weight and soft impact to the carbon deck, mast, or crews teeth. I would never go aloft on soft or hard shackle that is best reserved for knots.
Over the years we’ve had three sailing specific hard shackles fail, always at the wrong time.

I’m guessing the 4x4 guy thought he’d
be clever to bring the soft shackle into that market.

Another thing that is happening with this material in the marine world is that traditional 7x19 wire rope is rapidly getting displaced by the high tech steel replacements.

This guy on a davit is typical:

74316276-984D-49F5-A97A-B89AA470C10A_1_201_a.jpg

That arrangement eliminates the wire and swages both of which are subject to stainless rot and is a simple to field replace with the new lines.
One could say the new materials are reductive- on boats rigging is going back to a time where simple line was the dominant gear and it could be replaced in the field with no special tools or hardware.

Dyneema rope is also showing up OEM on gear like the spool winches on large tender deck cranes and the like.

Back