What's new
What's new

0t-----very large cranes

Heh. The comments are amusing, many referencing Kerbal Space Program and SpaceX. If I was Boeing I'd be more than a little worried about Musk.

Do you follow the progress down at Boca Chica? It's damn impressive how fast they're making prototypes, especially when compared to the SLS.

I thought this one was pretty big:
"Construction of the new facility was projected to cost $200 million and create 10,000 new jobs when completed in 1976.[6] Contracts were signed by OPS and PSE&G for two plants. PSE&G paid for the engineering and blueprints, license expenses and startup costs for the manufacturing facility.[1] Westinghouse named Zeke Zechella to be president of OPS in 1972.[7]
Much of Blount Island was swampy land until the early 1970s when OPS obtained 850+ acres (3.4 km2) from the Jacksonville Port Authority (JPA) for $2,000/acre.[2] OPS had the muck removed and replaced it with clean fill, then installed utilities, roads, a bridge and other infrastructure. The floating platform upon which the plant was to be built would be 400' square, the size of three football fields laid sideline to sideline. The harbor basin they created had to be slightly wider, longer, and 40' deep. The world's largest bridge crane,[8] capable of lifting the dome of the reactor containment building was purchased for $17 million and installed across the basin. The crane had a height of 130 feet, a span of 675 feet and a lift capacity of 2 million pounds.[1][9] During construction, over 1,000 workers were involved, and a total of $125 million was invested in the property and facility.[2] Two other utilities, the Southern Company in Atlanta and JEA in Jacksonville, both sent letters of commitment to show that they were serious about purchasing a plant; however, no plants were ever built.[1]Construction of the new facility was projected to cost $200 million and create 10,000 new jobs when completed in 1976.[6] Contracts were signed by OPS and PSE&G for two plants. PSE&G paid for the engineering and blueprints, license expenses and startup costs for the manufacturing facility.[1] Westinghouse named Zeke Zechella to be president of OPS in 1972.[7]

Back