What's new
What's new

1,000 KV Generator arrived today

true temper

Stainless
My friend with the local crane service had a large generator that had been damaged. Someone ran into the radiator shroud, almost ripping it off.
He brought it to my shop for me to repair.
0126b32b809400be37452fb442fe0eee.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Help me out I don’t know the difference???

1000 KV = 1 million Volts

1000 KVA = X Volts @ Y Amps where X x Y = 1 million (single phase)

or . . .

1000 KVA = X Volts @ Y Amps x 3^0.5 where X x Y x 3^.5 = 1 million (3-phase)

The generator pictured is likely a 3 phase unit with 480V output so at 1000KVA it should be able to feed a ~1200 Amp load

The unit is not Amps but Ampère after the French mathematician, physicist, chemist, and philosopher André-Marie Ampère, 1775–1836. Plural is still Ampère, no s.

Volt goes back to the Italian count Alessandro Volta, 1745–1827. Two Volt, no s. Kilo stems from Greek kilos meaning thousand and is written with a minuscule. So we note kVA. Or kW. Please not voltage but tension. We don’t say trumpage, do we?

V × A = W (U × I = P, Unit times Intensity equals Power), after the Scott James Watt, 1736–1819. Plural is Watt, no s. To round this off, impedance is given in Ω, Omega, or Ohm after the German physicist Georg Simon Ohm, 1789–1845. 470 Ohm, no s. A little respect for names.

Sloppy language, sloppy thinking, what I was aiming at. Isn’t already the topic title out of phase? 1,000 kV, I thought, what?! A million Volt, nowhere in the world is that a transmission tension. And again, amp and amps as you write, should be Amp. Good grief, don’t defend mistakes.

Now I wish everybody a pleasant Sagittarius time. I’m off for a month or two.

I am more interested in the story about what happened to the sheet metal on the end.

A guy in the storage yard was carrying a big square bale of hay with a track skid steer loader. Things were pretty tight and couldn’t see ahead of him, he was watching the ground, not knowing the hood stuck out.

1000 KV = 1 million Volts

1000 KVA = X Volts @ Y Amps where X x Y = 1 million (single phase)

or . . .

1000 KVA = X Volts @ Y Amps x 3^0.5 where X x Y x 3^.5 = 1 million (3-phase)

The generator pictured is likely a 3 phase unit with 480V output so at 1000KVA it should be able to feed a ~1200 Amp load

Or it could be called 1 megawatt or 1 meg for short.

Cute leetle bugger BTW.

A buddy of mine repaired/rebuilt the enclosure of a similar but smaller generator--250 KW--a few years
ago. It was installed at mine site bout 7000 ft. up in the mountains of Central B.C. Engineers designed a
metal framed, open sided building to keep rain and snow off. Because of the elevation the area can
receive 15-20 ft. of snow over the course of a winter and the local crews on site told the engineers they
didn't think the shelter was strong enough. Engineers disagreed so the shelter was left as is.

Because of the snowfall the camp was shut down in late December and no one ventured up there till some
time in May when enough snow had melted off to make the roads passable. Sure enough the shelter had
collapsed on the generator, crushing a good part of the enclosure. He was working on site as an electrician
but did side work on his off days so it made a nice little project for him...

Sloppy language, sloppy thinking, what I was aiming at. Isn’t already the topic title out of phase? 1,000 kV, I thought, what?! A million Volt, nowhere in the world is that a transmission tension. And again, amp and amps as you write, should be Amp. Good grief, don’t defend mistakes.

Now I wish everybody a pleasant Sagittarius time. I’m off for a month or two.

We are a Siemens Technology Solutions Partner and I just did a skim of the 20,000+ some odd pages of technical documentation related to Simatic, Simotion, Sinumerik, Simocrane products - (the wonder of computers) . . . not one mention of Ampere or Volta in the bunch. Many mentions of Amps (more often amps), and Volts / volts. Your observation of proper names and attribution is great in theory but abysmal in practice.

Language continues to change, roots of words forgotten, and time marches on. Not a mistake, no disrespect intended . . . it has and will continue to devolve with people depending more and more on jet-skiing over information with Google rather than doing a deep dive into a good book. In this case, I think you jumped the shark with this observation.

BTW - I spent quite a bit of time in my early engineering career working near Wildegg Switzerland . . . I was a Field Engineer for a TBM boring the Bözberg Tunnels and as I recall we fed the machine with a pair of 2000 kVA transformers. Beautiful country.

We are a Siemens Technology Solutions Partner and I just did a skim of the 20,000+ some odd pages of technical documentation related to Simatic, Simotion, Sinumerik, Simocrane products - (the wonder of computers) . . . not one mention of Ampere or Volta in the bunch. Many mentions of Amps (more often amps), and Volts / volts. Your observation of proper names and attribution is great in theory but abysmal in practice.

Language continues to change, roots of words forgotten, and time marches on. Not a mistake, no disrespect intended . . . it has and will continue to devolve with people depending more and more on jet-skiing over information with Google rather than doing a deep dive into a good book. In this case, I think you jumped the shark with this observation.

BTW - I spent quite a bit of time in my early engineering career working near Wildegg Switzerland . . . I was a Field Engineer for a TBM boring the Bözberg Tunnels and as I recall we fed the machine with a pair of 2000 kVA transformers. Beautiful country.

Switzerland is one of our favorite countries to visit. We flew into Frankfurt, 2 hours to a hotel for a nap and left the next morning for Lauterbrunnen in the Alps for 4 nights, Italy 4 nights, back to Beckinried on Lake Luzern for 3 nights, Frankfurt, home. BMW M4 to fly on the autobahn, hit 180 KPH. All the trash I found on all of the places we went would not fill a large paper coffee cup. Including butts. Stetson pass on the way to St Gottard Pass.
20190924_120936.jpg

I cannot agree. Language needs to mean something and should be repeatable. For example take the term "first responder". The so called journalists and media have bastardized it to no meaning. Not sure of your age but if anywhere close to mine and living in your area you should know the difference too. This just a taste of the deterioration of our language. At this rate in a hundred years English speaking people will need a Rosetta stone to read these forums.

Last edited:
I cannot agree. Language needs to mean something and should be repeatable. Foe example take the term "first responder". The so called journalists and media have bastardized it to no meaning. Not sure of your age but if anywhere close to mine and living in your area you should know the difference too. This just a taste of the deterioration of our language. At this rate in a hundred years English speaking people will need a Rosetta stone to read these forums.

Survival of the fittest, language is no exception to evolution. I would have been beaten by a nun for saying that in school, but hey, we’re evolving.

Yes, WE are evolving but Egyptian hieroglyphics have had more durability than English in the past 50 years. You could have pointed out to Sister Whatever that without the durability of Greek and Latin and Egyptian languages she would not have a job.

Back