What's new
What's new

11 lifts at auction, 15000 to 40000 lbs

Myron Bowling = You may as well just buy what you need from the dealer.
You're not gunna save a nickle.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Dont say that, I have an auction coming up in a few weeks that I want to get stuff from.

I hate auctions where stupid as F* people bid higher then brand new

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You're not gunna save a nickle
That is the truth regarding typical counterbalanced 4 wheel sit down LP or diesel cushion or pneumatic forklifts...usually can buy for less from a dealer. Where an auction shines is small electric forklifts, as often no one there wants an electric so they sometimes sell jaw drop low...like 100 to 500 bucks for a standup 4K capacity forklift with a battery the plant just installed a few months earlier for $3,500 !! Been there, done that.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I bought my HBM from a Myron Bowling auction. I was the only actual bidder on the HBM stuff. The second HBM they had went for more money, but it was just their guys bidding against each other. When I was rigging mine out they tried to get me to buy the one that didn't sell for what they bid it up to with fake bids. I asked the guy "How stupid do I look? and he leveled with me that they shill a lot of things and he was just doing his job.

I got a pretty good deal all things considered.

They have a fun habit of selling the forklifts with a caveat that you HAVE to let their pet riggers use them to load equipment. You don't get the keys for up to a week.

I've seen it at several MB auctions. In one they advertised it that way in the sale bill. But at another they sprung it on the buyers are the check out counter. I know a guy who had a plan to buy a lift and use it to make some money loading equipment. He had formerly been a rigger and still had the insurance. He held up his end of the plan, but MB put the kibosh on the rest of it. It just about came to blows.

I thought about trying some rigging at one of their auctions, but they want $2 million liability and I only carry $1 million. Keeps me from competing with Pedowitz.

I bought my HBM from a Myron Bowling auction. I was the only actual bidder on the HBM stuff. The second HBM they had went for more money, but it was just their guys bidding against each other. When I was rigging mine out they tried to get me to buy the one that didn't sell for what they bid it up to with fake bids. I asked the guy "How stupid do I look? and he leveled with me that they shill a lot of things and he was just doing his job.

I got a pretty good deal all things considered.

Well, that's not just MB.

Good grief, following along on live/online auctions, they git going so fast that they lose track and hafta back up to wherever someone will agree that they had the bid at that price, then off the go aggin.

It happens so often that it starts to piss you off just following along and wunna reach through the internet and choke someone.

----------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yeah,you go to one of the three day factory clearing sales,which is a nightmare in itself,then get the final clearout deal for scrap,and a whole lot of stuff bid up to big prices is still there ......

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If the lifts don’t bring what they want, they will just move them to the next auction. I bought a 50 Riggers Tri-Lifter from them one time. I think they had tried to sell it at 5 auctions before I bought it. I ended up buying it outright from them after it didn’t sell at the last auction.

I’ve watched several of their auctions and forklifts usually go sky high. They have a lot of overseas bidders, and I also suspect a lot of them are buybacks.

They have a fun habit of selling the forklifts with a caveat that you HAVE to let their pet riggers use them to load equipment. You don't get the keys for up to a week.

I've seen it at several MB auctions. In one they advertised it that way in the sale bill. But at another they sprung it on the buyers are the check out counter. I know a guy who had a plan to buy a lift and use it to make some money loading equipment. He had formerly been a rigger and still had the insurance. He held up his end of the plan, but MB put the kibosh on the rest of it. It just about came to blows.

I thought about trying some rigging at one of their auctions, but they want $2 million liability and I only carry $1 million. Keeps me from competing with Pedowitz.

That’s crazy that they let the riggers use the lift you bought and paid for. Wonder who is liable if something happens to it?

I gave up trying to do the auction rigging deal a long time ago. You go there and usually have to compete with several other rigging outfits, and if you do happen to score a job, you have to fight the madhouse of everybody trying to move everything out all at once. Only time we ever load anything out at a auction is if one of my regular customers buys something at auction, and they request us to go get it for them.

I did a deal like that once.....I let the auctioneers set up a sale with my forklift in return for getting the loadout work.........what a nightmare......the auctioneers shill thought I was checking the paperwork.(his job),I was just collecting my $50 a lift,and loading whatever was wanted.Ended up with stuff missing wholesale,the vendor wasnt happy,the punters wernt happy at having to pay for the fork,and I wasnt happy at every second lift wanting to beat down the price.

There are rigging companies that their business model is to follow the auction circuit. They are usually in with the auction companies, which helps to keep competition at bay, and they seem to do ok. It's just not my cup-of-tea, I'm not "in" with any auction companies and don't really want to be, most auction outfits are crooks.

If one of my regular customers buys something at auction, I'll go fetch it for them, and may even pick up another job or two while I'm there, but I'm not out there looking for auction work.

Back