What's new
What's new

1960's Clark C60 Forklift idling issues

ajk2004

Aluminum
Hey all,
I have a 1966 Clark C60 forklift (6,000 cap.) that was stored in a shed for about the last 15 years of its life. My dad used to sell seed and when he stopped, so did the forklift. I have got into metal working and need it to off load metal as well as moving machinery around. It is a propane unit and the components needed to be replaced (ie. electronic shut off, regulator, etc...) We got it running, and for sitting for 15 years, it runs great. The only problem we have is it will not idle. If you let off of the foot feet, it will die. If you give it gas continually, it will run just fine. Would this be a mixer issue where we need to change air/fuel ratio or would it be adjusting the linkage so it revs higher when no gas is applied. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Only have gas carb experience, but bad idle usually means to look for vacuum leaks (if it has any kind of vacuum timing advance, or PCV setup) or intake manifold gasket issues. I wouldn't look for mixture problems if it runs right at higher rpm. Maybe idle RPM is set too low, but look for leaks first. Old crappy cracked vacuum hose lines would be the first suspect.

Chip

Most of these engines have a belt driven governor and the pedal linkage is connected to the governor rather than directly to the carb.

There should be a stop screw on the governor that sets the engine's idle speed. If the engine runs good otherwise and the only problem is idling then chances are the carb adjustments are good and the stop screw just needs to be adjusted to increase the idle speed.

There's also a website propanecarbs.com that has some good info about adjusting and troubleshooting propane carburetors.

Most of these engines have a belt driven governor and the pedal linkage is connected to the governor rather than directly to the carb.

There should be a stop screw on the governor that sets the engine's idle speed. If the engine runs good otherwise and the only problem is idling then chances are the carb adjustments are good and the stop screw just needs to be adjusted to increase the idle speed.

There's also a website propanecarbs.com that has some good info about adjusting and troubleshooting propane carburetors.
Without knowing what model system you have- it is really hard to guide you anywhere-as each system has its own way of properly adjusting high speed & idle.

The model is found at the top. It is a clark c60. I tested it for vacuum leaks at the manifold and the air filter and can't find any. I will try to look at the governor and up the idle speed. It runs great but when you let off the gas pedal it will just die.

Back