What's new
What's new

1960s? Clark CF forklift

keeperofcars

Plastic
Hello group,
I just was given a very Old clark forklift. The main boom and steering leaks. It is propane with a Mainual trans, No brakes.

I would like to replace the hoses - send the hydraulics out to be rebuilt. I have a car lift so I can use it to remove the heavy parts.

There is no metal plate by the seat just the rivets.
But on the side frame rail CF30 ( F )? this letter is very worn.. Then 83 2052.

I tried going out on the web to look for parts diagrams Like BMW Parts Catalog where I can find all the parts for my old BMW cars.. But have had no luck with a version of this for Forklifts.

My questions. How old is this thing? can i get parts? I dont even see a dipstick on the engine.. SO some sort of manual would be great.

Thanks.
BAM

There should be a serial number in the mast and a Clark dealer should be able to look it up for you. I was able to get most of the parts for my older lift. This assumes the mast has not be changed.

These industrial machines are not like cars, you just can't find parts and service information online. You will have to go to a dealer with a serial number to get anywhere.

That said, parts availability on Clark lifts is pretty good. There are even aftermarket parts available.

By my Clark ser# book it shows a 1969 Mod. Parts should be available using the # you.

Hello group,
I just was given a very Old clark forklift. The main boom and steering leaks. It is propane with a Mainual trans, No brakes.

I would like to replace the hoses - send the hydraulics out to be rebuilt. I have a car lift so I can use it to remove the heavy parts.

There is no metal plate by the seat just the rivets.
But on the side frame rail CF30 ( F )? this letter is very worn.. Then 83 2052.

I tried going out on the web to look for parts diagrams Like BMW Parts Catalog where I can find all the parts for my old BMW cars.. But have had no luck with a version of this for Forklifts.

My questions. How old is this thing? can i get parts? I dont even see a dipstick on the engine.. SO some sort of manual would be great.

Thanks.
BAM

By my Clark Ser # book it shows a march 1969 build date and CF30-83-2062 should suffice to get parts by that Ser.# ?Bigais

THANKS for the feedback / answers.
I will look up to see if there are any number on the mast.
I am in the process of taking all the hydraulic cylinders off the unit to send out to be rebuilt.

THANKS for the feedback / answers.
I will look up to see if there are any number on the mast.
I am in the process of taking all the hydraulic cylinders off the unit to send out to be rebuilt.

I think that link I gave you for a manual is worthless. As suggested by others get the model nailed down first. Ebay isn't my favorite website but there are a lot of parts and used manuals there. Knowing exactly what you have is first.
If you can get past the neglected maintenance without spending to much you can get a lot of good use out of old fork lifts.

That link is showing downloadable PDFs for $25.. I am ok with that as long as I get the right one. I have been in touch with some one at Clark - I sent them a photo and the number on the frame. If they can identify it I have no issue with buying a manual

._clark_Flift.JPG

Man...after seeing the photo I sure would think heavy on dumping any money into that machine. Often the fact that you get something free clouds your thinking...you'll have a ton of dough into that before it's serviceable.

Stuart

Yea it needs work.. I restore cars for fun.. So this is just a heavier project.. Lucky i have another forklift to use for the disassembly. I have all the parts like the tank holder. I am planning on sending out the mast / tilt / steering cylinders to be rebuilt. Replace the hoses. and tires. Master brake cyl. It will only need to be used a few hours a month. I helped a friend do a 70s caterpillar lift last year. IT was about $1400 for the cylinder rebuilds and hoses and master cyl.

Refreshing the cylinders is a good move. It's not much fun when they pee on the floor. You cant house break it without seals. And oil isn't cheap. The fact that runs on propane is a plus. The engines dont get fouled up with carbon. Those continental engines are good engines. The ugly skin can be dealt with. I would rather see 50 years of scratches on the original paint than it having three sloppy paint brush paint jobs. My yale has an exposed fuse box and they painted it, fuses and all. Once you own one you wont want to be without it.
Older machines are fairly basic. If you fix up old cars you will do alright.
I can see why a guy that used one daily for a commercial shop might hesitate.

You can save around 7/8 of cylinder rebuild costs by buying seals from a hydraulic supply house..........rusty rams and cylinder wont kill the project for ocassional use,and poly U seals are incredibly tough ....they easily tolerate scored and dented surfaces............IMHO,the wheel brakes will be the biggest issue.......they aint easy to get at in a Clark.......but then nothing is in these tiny forklifts.

The power steering cylinder runs long ways..It is in 2 parts- So IF i can unscrew it - i can take it out the top. If not I will have to remove the rear end weight. I plan to use a car lift if I need to do this. the whole lift is only 6500 lbs so I am guessing the rear weight is only about 2500 lbs.
Currently I have spent about 4 hours just scraping off inches of Crud and spraying all the rusty bolts with PB blaster.. I will try loosing things tonight.

I believe many Clark power steering cylinders are welded and cannot be rebuilt. You have to cut them apart or exchange them.

Interesting.. I will let you know. I have the MAst cyl out.. Next the the 2 Mast tilt cylinders - then I will be able to get to the steering.It is to dirty to see if it looks like it may come apart

You are correct even though it is a 3 part system . the end cylinder is welded and not serviceable. I did find a local place that can cut and cold weld the end, Or the complete steering rack is $700. - all 3 parts.

Back