What's new
What's new

1996 JLG CM 2033 scissors lift has lost its mobility... stay away?

SteveBausch

Stainless
1996 JLG CM 2033 scissors lift has lost its mobility... stay away?

Warehouse owns it, was pushed aside and new one with larger platform and greater height was purchased.

Seems to be all there, manual downloaded from JLG site.

Still goes up/down, they say.

Seems all parts can be sourced, but somewhat pricey.

Are the hydraulic wheel motors generic, or proprietary?

How often is a rebuild of pump or motors successful?

How often is this a simple fix? Say, a switch or sensor or filter?

Or, just buy a used, running scissors lift and start using it?

Any JLG horror stories out there?

There’s a local craigslist ad, wanting to buy a “dead” scissors lift.... I can always cut my losses and sell it on to someone else if it’s not economical to repair.

I’ll offer $100 for it, if loaded onto my trailer. Otherwise, I’ll find another.

Unless that offer is insulting, and a higher offer is reasonable.

$3000 used, running lifts can be found here in Indianapolis. Cost of batteries, time expended, cost-of worst-case repairs, fluids, etc. make me reluctant to offer much more than that.

All comments are appreciated, even the harsh ones.

Thanks,
Steve

99 times out of 100, when one of these lifts go down, it’s electrical related. Those things have safeties on top of safeties and can be a nightmare to figure out. That is the main reason most people rent scissor lifts instead of owning them.

We’ve got one a local outfit gave me because they couldn’t get it to work. After bypassing most of the safety switches, it works. I only use it around my personal shop, because it is unsafe to use if you don’t know what you are doing.

Most of the time the travel speed will be limited but still functional when the platform is above a certain height.

If the price is right, I would go for it.
But I like figuring out problems.

It's worth a try. Depends on your workload and your troubleshooting skills. The control harness is long and lots of pinch points. I rented one and it quite with me 25 feet up. The wires for the controller was cut and visible. Easy fix. A meter to check continuity on the harness is easy.

Back