What's new
What's new

2-71 gm war diesel 1945

Supposedly….the 6-71 in my hd-19 came from a PT boat, it was surplus new or rebuilt.

Not ww2 2-71, no external fuel lines on the head, dc gen yes, navy surplus, yes but not 1945... pt boats had v12 Packard 1A-2500 gas...Phil

And those Packard built V12 Rolls Royce Merlin engines had 24 brand new platinum spark plugs when they sold surplus for $500 with well over $500 in scrap platinum in the plugs. One guy replugged them and resold them.
Bill D

v12,s also had silver crank bearings, I owned one once... loved the sound at idle... but I liked the 2-71 too, I owned 200 of them in 20kw gen-sets from the rail road, ran at 1200 rpm, that's why I cant hear....Phil

Why would anyone collect Detroits?

Of all the things.

I could see maybe supercharged 743's or an engine that went to the north pole and back, but just Detroit diesels in general?

I've met guys that have collected truckloads of the aluminum 4-53 stuff and for what? Even in aluminum it's heavy as hell and still noisy and gutless.

Why would anyone collect Detroits?

Of all the things.

I could see maybe supercharged 743's or an engine that went to the north pole and back, but just Detroit diesels in general?

I've met guys that have collected truckloads of the aluminum 4-53 stuff and for what? Even in aluminum it's heavy as hell and still noisy and gutless.

(almost) Hear ya but 671NA’s can go almost forever at 1800 24/7 loaded hard as boat auxiliaries given DELO 100 straight 30 or 40 and basic upkeep. And of course good airbox tube oil traps :)

Last edited:
Neighbor told me of a pick up truck that someone put a 2-71 into, and I saw (and heard) of
one that has a 4-53 in it.

Its a old guy thing, you would never understand...HI HI...Phil

I don't know. I feel like I connect pretty good with my "old guy" friends.

I spent 4 years of my life working on big 2 strokes. I'm no stranger to Detroits. I love them for certain applications.

But when I think of "collecting" engines I think of something that is an interesting design or great sounding. Detroit doesn't fit those in any way.

Lots of cool old engines to collect. Detroits are just an odd pick IMO. To each his own.

And those Packard built V12 Rolls Royce Merlin engines had 24 brand new platinum spark plugs when they sold surplus for $500 with well over $500 in scrap platinum in the plugs. One guy replugged them and resold them.
Bill D

The Packards in PT boats were not Merlins. They were 4M-2500 engines derived from WWI Liberty aircraft engines.

I spent 4 years of my life working on big 2 strokes. I'm no stranger to Detroits. I love them for certain applications.

But when I think of "collecting" engines I think of something that is an interesting design or great sounding. Detroit doesn't fit those in any way.

Lots of cool old engines to collect. Detroits are just an odd pick IMO. To each his own.

Yup, like collecting 350 chebies….

Like Dis ?
Camper for Sale - trailers - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

(almost) Hear ya but 671NA’s can go almost forever at 1800 24/7 loaded hard as boat auxiliaries given DELO 100 straight 30 or 40 and basic upkeep. And of course good airbox tube oil traps :)

They do run forever, but OH MY GOD the noise, at 1800 RPM the 2 stroke is firing twice as fast as a 4 stroke at the same RPM.
We had a stationary unit years ago that ran at 2100 RPM, at night when it was calm you could hear it running 3 miles away.

dear god! anything detroit is made of "leaverite" as in if you find it you leave er rite where you found it. got stuck in the engine room of a boat one time with a running away 671. by the time i got out exhaust valves were landing on the deck around me and the airbox covers blew off before the rods went through the side of the block. sounded like a race bike before it went quiet.

ain't no one old enough to appreciate or miss a detroit. that takes dumb!

YouTube

Not ww2 2-71, no external fuel lines on the head, dc gen yes, navy surplus, yes but not 1945... pt boats had v12 Packard 1A-2500 gas...Phil

a lot of pt boats were sold after the war with 671' swapped in. the packards were considered secret/military only or some such thing.

dear god! anything detroit is made of "leaverite" as in if you find it you leave er rite where you found it. got stuck in the engine room of a boat one time with a running away 671. by the time i got out exhaust valves were landing on the deck around me and the airbox covers blew off before the rods went through the side of the block. sounded like a race bike before it went quiet.

ain't no one old enough to appreciate or miss a detroit. that takes dumb!

YouTube

Yeah never seen a Jimmy run away and quite happy I haven’t :)
I Always thought Valdez was gorgeous, from the boat ;)

Back