What's new
What's new

2 forklifts - how not to do it - video

Mistakes
#1 the forklifts being used are more like industrial go-karts.
#2 one lift has the bulk of the load, other just trying to compensate with tips of forks.
#3 ink is just starting to dry on operators OSHA forklift license
#4 Someone forgot to bolt the mast onto lift being unloaded:D

With at least one person directing this that knew what they were dooing - it should have been very dooable, but it absolutely blows my mind that they would pull the truck away while the tires were in the air.

Guy 2 should have at least had his brakes on, but even more better - he could have likely drove ahead after the truck pulled away.

But guy 2 should have had his forks lower the whole time - to the point that he was on all four.
Guy 1 didn't need much help, just some....

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yes, it was a bad setup, but the one "operator" made matters worse. They were right on the verge of loosing it from the start, but the one guy didn't help the situation by letting his forklift roll backwards, and he got way behind which made his back wheel come up higher.

Most "operators" when they get in a situation like this, have a tendency to freeze and stop, when a better solution would be to go down faster.

Thats true Every forklift I buy the brakes are always shot. I wonder why they industry doesn't improve the design, since forklifts are so heavy.

A juice tranny with an "in/out" switch on the brake peddle would be the worst thing possible here.
Other than the actual brake, you couldn't ever scootch up under it w/o having that hesitation of no fwd trq.

I love a clutch and gear on anything involving rigging or towing!

My one juice tranny forktruck blew the "in/out" portion of the tranny (mechanical unit this time) and the repair dude added a splitter and now BOTH peddles actuate the brake, but no release. That werks!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Looks to me like if the forklift on the right had just inched forward a little bit it would have been fine. Now how do they get the busted up one back on the truck to send it back for repairs?

It probably would have been doable IF ...

• Brakes were set.
  • Operators better synchronized (should have been a man giving hand signals to both).
  • Wood beams underneath to prevent rounded body from rolling on the forks (which it did).
  • One or two "hangers on" helping to counterbalance each lift truck.
  • Gag on excitable A-hole in background who kept shouting, making a tough situation worse.

I've been involved with something similar. Two of our best men were operating. Shop foreman with decades of experience was supervising.

Everyone watching was told in advance to shut the F*** up -- or else!
Forks and wood beams were re-positioned until balance was good and lift was even.

PS: OSHA would have had nothing to do with the activity in this video which was clearly not in the USA.

A juice tranny with an "in/out" switch on the brake peddle would be the worst thing possible here.
Other than the actual brake, you couldn't ever scootch up under it w/o having that hesitation of no fwd trq.

I love a clutch and gear on anything involving rigging or towing!

My one juice tranny forktruck blew the "in/out" portion of the tranny (mechanical unit this time) and the repair dude added a splitter and now BOTH peddles actuate the brake, but no release. That werks!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Those inching pedals are worthless for precise work. They are made for production moving skids. Some of the newer lifts only have one pedal, that disengages the trans before the brakes come on. Usually you can remove the linkage going to the trans to solve this, where it just applies the brake only.

Thats true Every forklift I buy the brakes are always shot. I wonder why they industry doesn't improve the design, since forklifts are so heavy.

Most have a decent design, it's just that most people don't service them like they should. I agree that the brakes are a pain to service, but that just comes along with trying to build a compact package. I will agree that most lift's parking brakes don't work, and are hard to keep working. We use line locks (mico-lock) on most of our lifts. You have to scotch the wheels if you leave it for extended periods though, as a line lock can leak off.

Looks to me like if the forklift on the right had just inched forward a little bit it would have been fine. Now how do they get the busted up one back on the truck to send it back for repairs?
It will be easier to load back up, because it's now in pieces.

Never seen one where the whole operator station came off like that. Usually the roll cage is stronger than that. I've picked lifts up of that size by the roll cage.

Back