What's new
What's new

2 Leg 6’ 5/8 Diameter Chain Slings Price Check?

bsg

Titanium
What would a reasonable price for these slings be?

I have four of these left over from a lot of chains I bought at auction over ten years ago.......I don’t remember what I paid for the lot back then?

I have absolutely no use for these and would like to sell but don’t have a clue of what’s a reasonable price?

These do have the WLL tags, but are unreadable?

What say all?

Thanks for any advice!

Kevin

I have been buying some of this type of thing lately. What size is the chain? what grade, older is probably gr 80. newer gr 100. What type of hooks?

New chain and hooks are not terribly expensive, I just bought a new gr 100 cartec 3/8 hook ($25) and 6' of 3/8 gr 100 chain (aprox $4/ft).
Eye Sling Hook w/ Latch
The same hook in 5/8 is $75

I see the title has 5/8 size listed. Do a search on ebay for rigging chain or lifting chain. There seems to be a large price increase over 3/8" maybe moreso to 5/8"

Without more info I would guess about $250 each but check sold listings to verify.

I have been buying some of this type of thing lately. What size is the chain? what grade, older is probably gr 80. newer gr 100. What type of hooks?

New chain and hooks are not terribly expensive, I just bought a new gr 100 cartec 3/8 hook ($25) and 6' of 3/8 gr 100 chain (aprox $4/ft).
Eye Sling Hook w/ Latch
The same hook in 5/8 is $75

I see the title has 5/8 size listed. Do a search on ebay for rigging chain or lifting chain. There seems to be a large price increase over 3/8" maybe moreso to 5/8"

Without more info I would guess about $250 each but check sold listings to verify.

Thanks Rob!

Yes, 5/8 chain with round rings and slip hooks without latches.....I can get pictures posted later?

I was thinking $500 for the lot, just wasn’t sure if that was in the ballpark?

I looked on eBay, I couldn’t find anything comparable in a quick search?

Kevin

Pics would help. If they are assembled with hammer lock fittings can toy make them into two 4 leg slings? Or sell them in pairs. I just did a quick look on ebay, be sure to look at sold items and USED. Rigging chain will get more results than lifting chain. Also do a search for the brand of hook. I think from what I saw $500 would be a great deal for all of them.
American Wire & Rope 5/8"x12' GR10 Quad Leg Chain Sling WLL Lbs. 58700 | eBay

I find any chain over 3/8 isnt worth much in short pieces,once you get past towchain sizes. The slings used by crane operators are normally 50 feet plus long in bigger sizes.......even 3/8 is a bit heavy for shop/home use ...........Ive bought really big slings for a few bucks and sold them for $100 on a good day........a short sling is for reuse of the hooks and rings. I use 5/16 with the truck crane ,and even then in at least 20 ft length slings.....................retest and retag is quite normal for site use ,has to be done every 12 months here.

I will see if I can clean the tags up, will post those pictures as well later!

Kevin
Definitely worth your time to do so. Most of my tags are labeled with the rigging house that assembled them as well, so that may be another source to get certs.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I cleaned up the tags, here's some pictures!

IMG_3300.jpg
IMG_3301.jpg
IMG_3303.jpg
IMG_3306.jpg
IMG_3308.jpg

There are five chains total, one single leg and two 2 leg slings.

If there's any interest, please let me know.......

Kevin

To determine grade a good starting point will be to identify the hook, it can have some numbers on it, one of which should be what its grade is.
Next will be to look close at the chain links, some links (or all) should have some sort of stamp on them grade on one side and mfg on other side is a possibility. Markings could also be something like every foot or so so look around if not easy to find.
I think those hooks on the doubles are called foundry hooks.

To determine grade a good starting point will be to identify the hook, it can have some numbers on it, one of which should be what its grade is.
Next will be to look close at the chain links, some links (or all) should have some sort of stamp on them grade on one side and mfg on other side is a possibility. Markings could also be something like every foot or so so look around if not easy to find.
I think those hooks on the doubles are called foundry hooks.

The grade is 80, it's barely legible on one of the tags......

Kevin

If you can’t read the tags, legally they have to be re-certified or cut up and thrown in the trash.

That being said, there are lots of folks using un-tagged rigging. I’d say it’s worth around $200 or so.

Good luck finding someone who wants 5/8 chain. That stuff gets heavy in a hurry. Straps and slings are so much lighter. Even wire rope is lighter.

Late to the party......but ,not foundry hooks,just plain......aaaand there are no hammerlocks ......the lot is just joined with links.......value therefore is very little........for reference ,foundry hooks are generally the most expensive hooks ,and sell OK ,because the towies use them for recovery hooks.

Late to the party......but ,not foundry hooks,just plain......aaaand there are no hammerlocks ......the lot is just joined with links.......value therefore is very little........for reference ,foundry hooks are generally the most expensive hooks ,and sell OK ,because the towies use them for recovery hooks.

They are indeed foundry hooks.
Crosby(R) A-1329 Eye Foundry Hooks - The Crosby Group

They are practically worthless unless you have the history of these assemblies. Chain gets derated due to heat exposure:
http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/html/en-US/pdf/pgs/213.pdf
Which is kind of ironic since heat is one of the reasons to use chain.
In addition some of the assemblies show evidence of stretching in the links connecting the hooks to the chain.
T

They are indeed foundry hooks.
Crosby(R) A-1329 Eye Foundry Hooks - The Crosby Group

They are practically worthless unless you have the history of these assemblies. Chain gets derated due to heat exposure:
http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/html/en-US/pdf/pgs/213.pdf
Which is kind of ironic since heat is one of the reasons to use chain.
In addition some of the assemblies show evidence of stretching in the links connecting the hooks to the chain.
T

These came out of a now defunct tool and die shop......other than that I have no history?

I may just cut them up and use them for ballast on the back of my Hilo!

Thanks everyone for responding!

Kevin

Back