What's new
What's new

2005 Hyster 8K cushion LP forklift - What do you guys think of these repair prices ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
One of the two small diameter second stage mast cylinders is leaking pretty bad...$634 for seal kit plus misc, labor totals $1,300 (on site repair) Replace starter....starter is $475, labor $260 on site... $886 total. To me sounds high for the seal kit and the starter.... is this high or about right ?

OEM parts are about 2X the real price, can you do the work? if not pay the price...if you can there are a lot of suppliers but you need to get the cly apart to know what to buy. You could also just remove the cly and take it a shop and let them repair it for you, ( probably the best way to save a buck)...Phil

One of the two small diameter second stage mast cylinders is leaking pretty bad...$634 for seal kit plus misc, labor totals $1,300 (on site repair) Replace starter....starter is $475, labor $260 on site... $886 total. To me sounds high for the seal kit and the starter.... is this high or about right ?

Way too much money in my opinion!

I rebuilt the main lift cylinder on mine for a grand total of $52 in seals, plus my labor!

Here's my thread about it:
Hyster S80 XL Main Cylinder Leaking, Questions?

I just took the seals into Martin Fluid Power, they matched them up for me.....

I was able to redo the cylinder in place, unknown if it's possible on your machine?

On the starter, depends on what engine you have in the lift.....I'm sure you can source an automotive replacement for a lot less?

Kevin

I had a local old timey hydraulic shop replace the seal on my cat forklift about 6 months ago, brought the cylinder to him and was like $46 out the door. I did the starter also around the same time and bought the "nicer" one they had listed for $200. I also called around like you and was turned off by the prices i was hearing. Prices sound kinda what I would expect to have them do it onsite, with their parts.

Simple ....forklift repairs typically for large companies ,wages staff dont care what it costs ,but always cover a/s by getting OEM........do it yourself,buy seal from large hydraulic supplier for a few dollars......Buuut ,working on forklifts is the pits.The things are specifically designed to be hard to repair......makes you want to buy a new one..........Here we sometimes hit a problem .....cunning f/lift manufacturer used own make /non standard/very costly seals and parts.....Euro makers are notorious for this .

What type of lift cylinder? Old style used 2 hoses, new style only have 1 hose, I'm sure someone else can fill in the technical names. Old style is PITA because you have to pull the ram to replace piston seals, new style you just remove top cap and replace seals, super easy. Starters can be a pia, in my experience its a 2 person job, one below and other working from top.

I got a new leather seal for my clark forklift for somewhere around $20. Didn't even know they still made leather seals.

By the time I was done doing it myself, there was so much hydraulic oil on the ground I literally could not move the forklift without the wheels spinning. Granted that's partly because the seal kind of exploded in the first place, but still, if you go the DIY route I hope you like oil.

You could also just remove the cly and take it a shop and let them repair it for you, ( probably the best way to save a buck)...Phil

THIS. Including hiring a(ny) decent all-around good-ole-boy mechanic to do the grubby grunt work of pulling it FOR you, dropping-off and recovery, his pickup, then re-install.

But NOT having to need to know how to do the seal nor have tools for it.

Thought you were trying to retire, anyway?

If so, it is time now to "inventory" a few SLIGHTLY younger but generally experienced and broad-skill "toughened-hands" resources of that sort, going forward.

Folks you know, trust, can work WITH, and whom yah don't MIND paying now and then. No man is an island forever...

Starter is about 3x best price

would need to know drivetrain to be more specific

Hydraulics, well, that job could go sideways in a hurry and you have a dead forklift and you call the guy anyway. Does seem like a simple hydraulics kit ought to be cheaper and the aforementioned local mechanic could make a go of it. Or if the cylinder is a straightforward removal project, bring it to a hydraulic guy and save the cost of the site visit

Fork lift repairs are expensive.
The lift cylinders need to be totally disassembled. If they are like the ones I remember.
They are single acting, but there is a seal and check valve in the piston.

Having the repair done by a outside shop has a certain amount of CYA and warranty if things go sideways.
If there are any incidents down the road. OSHA or somebody else will look at who has been doing the repair work.

Forklift repairs can require some special tools and experience.
If you don't have these it can make a tough job even worse.

I suspect most times it is better for a businesses to carry on doing what they do, and not take on forklift repair on the side.

I will fix anything other than hydraulics on anyone's forklift. Make good money at it too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Way too much money in my opinion!

I rebuilt the main lift cylinder on mine for a grand total of $52 in seals, plus my labor!

Here's my thread about it:
Hyster S80 XL Main Cylinder Leaking, Questions?

I just took the seals into Martin Fluid Power, they matched them up for me.....

I was able to redo the cylinder in place, unknown if it's possible on your machine?

On the starter, depends on what engine you have in the lift.....I'm sure you can source an automotive replacement for a lot less?

Kevin

I agree with this. I used to be a forklift engineer, and I know OEM parts are immensely expensive. You can usually find suppliers of cheaper parts at around 1/4 of the price. It is not even like the Hyster 8K is a big machine, so I dont know why the seals are so expensive. Also, have a look at the engine, see if you can find a different manufacturer of the engine. (Some companies like Jungheinrich use VW engines). That way, you may find a better starter price too.

I will fix anything other than hydraulics on anyone's forklift. Make good money at it too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

;).......I am the exact total opposite, I’ll fix everything hyd on a forklift but won’t touch anything else (unless it’s mine). My best customers are good mechanics that bring their hyd problems to us while fixing everything else.

That said, just throwing in a few seals in a cylinder gland/collar is different than a complete tear down with honing/machine polish and minor dings spot welded, ground and polished.

The parts prices seem high, but the labor looks normal.

Back