What's new
What's new

208 volts to nowhere box on conveyor?

Cannonmn

Stainless
My “Best Flex” accordion conveyor has a J-box with big red push button (actually two-position switch) and cord hanging out with 208v. 1 ph. Plug. Yes I should just open the box and look but I didn’t before I left work, and if I don’t find out soon I’ll have trouble sleeping. Please help. WTF is it for?

04F9AF1F-9710-4202-A750-64C03E0B5DF3.jpg1C9F7522-D590-44D9-8D6C-6BF78E5F31C9.jpg

Attachments

• 13840331-1177-4DEA-988B-9BB7C7AC65E6.jpg
    13840331-1177-4DEA-988B-9BB7C7AC65E6.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 176
That is supposed to located near an outlet so when the crew wants a break they can push the button in hopes of blowing whatever fuse it is plugged into.:D Maybe you need to run an extention cord to it just to keep up morale?:cheers:

I should have mentioned that this conveyor is an unpowered, gravity-operated affair. There are 73 axles with 9 roller-skate wheels each, and it slopes down slightly so gravity moves the cargo.

Attachments

• 64B3AB00-236E-485C-8606-C01D559B6845.jpg
    64B3AB00-236E-485C-8606-C01D559B6845.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 97
Seriously though it probably plugs into emegency off circuit

Ok then maybe under a previous owner, this gravity conveyor was fed by a powered conveyor at the high end, and the red button, at the bottom of the slope, would stop the feed conveyor. I think that’s what you are saying.

It's probably the gravity off switch then. Pretty standard on gravity feed conveyers, but sometimes they don't use it because small parts will just float away when activated.

I have seen similar stuff like this before. Some green safety man or engineer, with a mile long pedigree, says every conveyor should have a e-stop. People on the production line and maintenance tells the egg head that it's a un-powered conveyor, but he still won't have any part of it. They mount a fake box and the safety man is satisfied. I've seen worse.

That wouldn't explain the cord though. If I were mounting a fake switch, I wouldn't go through the trouble to add any wiring.

Seen it just this past week at a plant we were working at. They had some landscapers planing some plants at the front office entrance. They had watered everything and added enough water that some ran out into the parking lot. Safety woman came out and threw a fit, saying that they were letting waste water loose. She first told them they had to dilute it, but they questioned her what you diluted water with. In the end, they got a shop-vac, sucked up the water in the parking lot, and dumped the sucked up water into the storm drain. I don't know why letting water run into the parking lot was pollution and dumping it down the storm drain wasn't, but the safety woman was was completely satisfied with this approach.

It's not uncommon to have this setup. Could have been for a box former, or any number of pieces of equipment that went before, after, or side of it.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Gravity isolation device, single source exemption for LOTO

So last week, I was driving out of town, and the local manager asked if I felt comfortable stopping by an old 350’ tower and do the LOTO on the tower lights prior to demo. I said sure, when I signed off it asks if all sources of energy have been locked out. I’m thinking when they unbolt the top 20’ section, there’s a whole lot of un locked out potential energy, and it’s a hell of a lot more hazardous then the tower strobes.

I also realized our procedures didn’t address bleeding the caps in the strobes- and I dint have any climbing gear either.

Finally got around to opening the mystery switch box. What would normally be hot and neutral wires went to the switch terminals, ground wire wasn’t connected. So the switch was used as spst to make/break a circuit to something.

If the contacts are NC (normally closed), it's certainly an emergency stop.
If the contacts are NO (normally open), it was likely to activate some.

So last week, I was driving out of town, and the local manager asked if I felt comfortable stopping by an old 350’ tower and do the LOTO on the tower lights prior to demo. I said sure, when I signed off it asks if all sources of energy have been locked out. I’m thinking when they unbolt the top 20’ section, there’s a whole lot of un locked out potential energy, and it’s a hell of a lot more hazardous then the tower strobes.

I also realized our procedures didn’t address bleeding the caps in the strobes- and I dint have any climbing gear either.

Perhaps they should do 'the right thing' and hire in a contractor to install a temporary climbing-safety system onto the tower, and fall-restraint, and send up engineers and inspectors (drag them out from behind their desks) with ultrasonic thickness gauges to recalculate safe loading, replace the guy wires, also get confined space permits and take an atmospheric test set up there just in case there's large quantities of dihydrogen oxide or methane. Oh, and put up a Faraday cage with static dissipation to protect against atmospheric electric discharges...

Sheesh. Considering how things are today, I'm amazed that our predecessors managed to survive without being buried under all the safety equipment and protocol we have today. I'm now required to wear hard hat, goggles, hard-toed boots with non-metallic shank, arch spats, full reflective safety suit and body harness, gloves, hearing protection, and a 2-way radio, along with the gas monitor, just to climb a 12' ladder to replace a video camera. By the time I get all that gear on, I can't safely climb a ladder, much less work.

I gotta get me one of them gravity isolators, but White Cap is all out. Manager says he gets a case of 'em every two weeks, and the moment he puts 'em out, they Fly Right Off The Shelves... ;-P
so that it can be safely dismantled

" I'm now required to wear hard hat, goggles, hard-toed boots with non-metallic shank, arch spats, full reflective safety suit and body harness, gloves, hearing protection, and a 2-way radio, along with the gas monitor
What environment requires all that?

" I'm now required to wear hard hat, goggles, hard-toed boots with non-metallic shank, arch spats, full reflective safety suit and body harness, gloves, hearing protection, and a 2-way radio, along with the gas monitor
What environment requires all that?

Somewhere that your bloated carcass could have to be extracted.....:crazy:

The 4 gas monitor is a give away for a confined space, the harness probably doesn't have the arresting harness on back (Mine doesn't) It's not "fall protection"
it's for a rescue crew for "extraction".

If your in a tunnel with a ladder (working at height) your harness would have the
arresting stuff on your back.

Arch Spats ? You mean the added piece over the laces for heavy stuff that hits the steel (or non metallic protective) toe, and then rolls towards you ?

No safety glasses under those goggles ?

And no respirator ?

Is the jacket and pants NFPA 70 arc flash approved ?

Back