What's new
What's new

Abused nylon straps, any way to shorten and re-use, or just save hooks, toss strap?

Cannonmn

Stainless
Unskilled help hooked strap onto itself with predictable results when hook slipped off under towing load, shown. Anyone figured out a way to shorten for re-use, or just save hooks and toss strap? Not money issue, new strap may be worth all of $10., but hate to toss something perhaps useful when modified. Not the first time we damaged a hook strap.796726A1-E245-4C82-A382-A2EA537A9EE6.jpgEC81DAD0-D9FA-4CAB-8B37-0DA3E0FC46A7.jpg

Cut them into 12" long pieces.
So they can't be re-used, BUT they can be used to soften sharp corners
to protect the NEW strap.

Unskilled help hooked strap onto itself with predictable results when hook slipped off under towing load, shown. Anyone figured out a way to shorten for re-use, or just save hooks and toss strap? Not money issue, new strap may be worth all of $10., but hate to toss something perhaps useful when modified. Not the first time we damaged a hook strap.View attachment 227228View attachment 227229

throw it away and buy another.

For 10 bucks do you have a heavy duty sewing machine, the correct size and strength uv proof thread, know the correct sewing pattern and are willing to proof test a few of your repairs. By that time you realize it not economic to repair a $10 dollar strap.

Despite Doug's suggestion to re-purpose as padding, the time too-soon arrives when you have to move to larger space for all the "still useful for SOMETHING" debris as has accumulated.

Wiser to save the cutting labor and brain-cycles and simply deep-six 'em.

Well, you could always tie that one into a Noose, and leave
it on the rack with the other slings....as a reminder to the idjit not to do it again....:eek:

straps get weaker from exposure to sunlight, chemicals, etc
usually i put date on strap when first used. if over a year old often it gets replaced. depends on what strap is exposed too.
when a heavy load drops it often bounces. it is weighs over a ton you really dont want to be in the way. i have seen straps break and it often happens in less than one second.
safer to buy another strap. if you modify any lifting device and it fails a lawyer will hold you responsible for the modification not the strap manufacturer

Toss and don't look back . . . if you want better protection for your straps, buy some fire hose and slip a section of hose over the part of the strap that is drawn over a sharp edge.

2 uses that I use for them

As said before, cut into small pieces and use them for softening corners

And I use them for pulling small trees out in the property.

Other then that, they are just trash

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

...usually i put date on strap when first used. if over a year old often it gets replaced. depends on what strap is exposed to...

Up here each and every strap comes with a certification tag which includes a date. If you're working under workers comp rules
straps must be retired after so many years of "life" regardless of the amount of "use" (or abuse). Bottom line is, when you're
lifting, you're often dealing with worker safety. Why would you even consider using a strap that was at all questionable. It's not like
the damn things are expensive...

Up here each and every strap comes with a certification tag which includes a date. If you're working under workers comp rules
straps must be retired after so many years of "life" regardless of the amount of "use" (or abuse). Bottom line is, when you're
lifting, you're often dealing with worker safety. Why would you even consider using a strap that was at all questionable. It's not like
the damn things are expensive...

We only use that kind for horizontal pulling or tie-down. Lifting done with wire rope, certified, tagged lifting chains, or tagged nylon straps in good condition.

Is that a lifting strap or a tow strap? I’ve never seen a lifting strap with a hook made into it like that. Does it have a weight rating on it?

Regardless, throw that thing in the trash.

As for padding, get some fire hose, but don’t buy it. Most fire departments have piles of it that is out of date for their use. Our local FD usually gives me all I want.

We only use that kind for horizontal pulling or tie-down. Lifting done with wire rope, certified, tagged lifting chains, or tagged nylon straps in good condition.

But OSHA, or your insurance provider don't care that you only use them horizontally.

It's been proven before, if your employees can abuse/misuse it, they will.

Use it until it breaks.
Sew it up then use it some more.

I might use 2’ sections for padding.

I also have never seen a lifting strap like that.

In the UK lifting gear is inspected by representatives of your insurance company every 6 months. I've accompanied the rep on his rounds at several shops. Any slings like that would be scrapped immediately. No ifs, buts, or maybes. The guy would watch me cut them in half on the bandsaw. They were draconian on this issue.

Overhead crane structures and the wire ropes were also rigorously inspected every 12 months.

Regards Tyrone

#1 "Unskilled help . . ."
They should have received training.
You need to be able to prove that they have received training, such as a certificate from an approved authority that they have undergone the necessary course(s).

Otherwise your insurance company (you do have insurance?) is going to hang any claim you make on a nail in the lavatory.
You do like prison food?

I would toss the hooks as well.

If engineering is not dangerous enough for you, despite all the safety precautions, you need to consider a change of occupation.
Lion tamer, trapeze artist ..

PS #15 "horizontal pulling", does not make it safe, as adduced by a number of Youtube videos.

Back