Abused nylon straps, any way to shorten and re-use, or just save hooks, toss strap? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    In the UK lifting gear is inspected by representatives of your insurance company every 6 months. I've accompanied the rep on his rounds at several shops. Any slings like that would be scrapped immediately. No ifs, buts, or maybes. The guy would watch me cut them in half on the bandsaw. They were draconian on this issue.

Overhead crane structures and the wire ropes were also rigorously inspected every 12 months.

Regards Tyrone
    It isn't sketchy cutting something fibrous on a bandsaw?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Strostkovy View Post
    Yeah, it can be a bit snatchy at times but I've still got all ten fingers. Like any machining process you've got to be on your guard.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last I knew hook straps were for hook to load pull (like “snatch em straps”) or basket only. In fact, I don’t like to choke anything if it’s heavy enough to hurt my foot if it failed. Better to get more than one strap & try to handle the load.

Good luck,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Strostkovy View Post
    Clamped between some wood.
    Gooped with hot melt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the UK lifting gear is inspected by representatives of your insurance company every 6 months. I've accompanied the rep on his rounds at several shops. Any slings like that would be scrapped immediately. No ifs, buts, or maybes. The guy would watch me cut them in half on the bandsaw. They were draconian on this issue.

Overhead crane structures and the wire ropes were also rigorously inspected every 12 months.

Regards Tyrone
    Wow. Not that it’s a bad idea, but sounds expensive to have a guy to go around to every place with lifting gear to inspect.

We just do in-house periodic inspections and inspect before each use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh-Ohhh, your insurance is gonna have a clause that makes you swear you are following all regulatory policy. When you dig in those weeds there is a time interval for a lot of things. Your chains, ropes & lifting devices are regulated...

Good luck,
    Matt

7. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m16ty View Post
    Wow. Not that it’s a bad idea, but sounds expensive to have a guy to go around to every place with lifting gear to inspect.

The company I was working for at the time had about 100 employees but we did lots of lifting of heavy components. We had lots of chain slings as well as wire ropes and the more modern soft slings. The inspector visually inspected every link on every chain, he once found a damaged load bearing link on a 10 ton chain block ( fall ) that some fool had cut half way through with an oxy-acetylene torch. Whoever did that either didn't notice what they'd done or never said anything !

On the 6 monthly lifting gear inspection visits he'd be there for about 3 days. On the visits that incorporated the overhead cranes he'd be there for about 5 days. 10 overhead cranes ranging from 3 tons to 40 tons.

How much it cost I don't know, I suppose it would be in your insurance premium.

I once worked with the rep when the people I worked for had changed insurers. What a performance that was, every lifting beam had to be measured and the sizes noted down. Every piece of lifting gear had to have all it's details noted down. This place employed about 3000 people so you can imagine how long it took. I was an apprentice at the time and basically I was there to " foot " his ladders. That was a really boring month.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...The inspector visually inspected every link on every chain, he once found a damaged load bearing link on a 10 ton chain block ( fall ) that some fool had cut half way through with an oxy-acetylene torch. Whoever did that either didn't notice what they'd done or never said anything !
    That inspector saved somebody's life, I hope somebody thanked him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    That inspector saved somebody's life, I hope somebody thanked him.
    The inspector did his job.
    I hope somebody thanked him.

Cleansing with fire is appropriate for any suspect strops- so inexpensive for the work they do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When the first modern soft slings came out over here in the early 1970's the salesman used to ration them. You might order 10 and he'd give you 4 if you were really lucky !

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m16ty View Post

We inspect stuff on site weekly but all accessories still get a 6 month thorough inspection. Just had the guy round last week.
    U.K. Lifting regulations require:
    Lifting attachments - every 6 mths
    Lifting equipment - every 12 mths (or every 6 mths if they are to be used for lifting people).
    Some things like pallet trucks are excluded from the regs.