What's new
What's new

Adding Onboard Charger to a Pallet Jack

Drd

Plastic
We have a 15ish year old Crown WP2300 and we are looking to add an onboard charger. It doesn't see much use at all, so the idea is that we can just have this thing plugged in when not in use to keep battery trickled up and get rid of the large standard charger.

Electrical goes battery-->Fuse-->Controller.

I plan to set it up as battery-->charger-->fuse-->controller.

I just want to be sure we aren't going to destroy the controller by doing this (without any disconnect during charging). I assume the max voltage leaving the charger will be 29v or so...

Any comments?

There is no existing onboard charger. Usually we plug battery directly into big external charger.

Want to just be able to plug onboard charger straight into 120v receptacle without disconnecting battery from pallet jack. Just don’t want to fry anything downstream...

Go to site for battery minder.

They make many models.

If 24 volt you could either get 2 12 volt units and wire to each battery or a 24 volt unit.

Not cheap but great product.

12 volt ones often on sale someplace.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TQ... Not what I am asking. There are many appropriate 24v “onboard” chargers for equipment that uses 24v batteries. I am asking if installing a charger inline with the wiring of our pallet jack could harm the controller down stream...

According to a service guy at the dealership, the only disconnect that is installed with onboard charger is one to lock out the key switch so it can't be operated while plugged in. Apparently the controller will be fine. If I fry the controller doing this, I will post back...

If you want to be safe put a battery plug on the onboard charger.
When you park/charge move the battery plug from the controller to the charger plug.
It will help protect the controller.
Damage to the controller can be accumulative.
Not that much of a pita for light use.

Not sure what you are trying to do...

My suggestion for the battery minder is it is mounted on the unit and is attached directly to battery.

It has its own a.c. power plug.

The controller is not effected as it only sees the battery.

You park the machine and plug it in...done.

As long as the use cycle allows the small charger to bring up the battery you are good.

They usually are 1 to 4 amp output, enough to bring up a battery to full overnight for intermittent use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

There is no existing onboard charger. Usually we plug battery directly into big external charger.

Want to just be able to plug onboard charger straight into 120v receptacle without disconnecting battery from pallet jack. Just don’t want to fry anything downstream...

In that case you need to use a constant voltage charger, one that won't exceed 1.15 volts per cell.

Back