What's new
What's new

Air Cushion 5th wheel/gooseneck hitches ? which one ?

DDoug

Diamond
Been looking for a air ride 5th wheel hitch for the 1-ton chevy.

I have a gooseneck trailer (2 5/16" ball) and want to add
5th wheel capability to the truck.

I have seen several different hitches (all air ride)
as well as a couple of different hitch plate.

What do you like ?
And why ?

In before lock...read the requirements before you post, the title should have "ot" in it.

:nono::D:willy_nilly:

Not at all, read the description:
"Forum: Material Handling and Rigging
Discuss forklifts, pallet jacks, trucks, trailers, machinery skates, toe jacks and more."

I think any of the cushion hitches add quite a bit to the cost of a trailer. I admit, I've never pulled one with a cushion hitch, but I have to wonder if it's worth it. Of all the gooseneck trailers I've pulled, I've never gotten a rough ride, due to vibrations transferred though the hitch.

I think any of the cushion hitches add quite a bit to the cost of a trailer. I admit, I've never pulled one with a cushion hitch, but I have to wonder if it's worth it. Of all the gooseneck trailers I've pulled, I've never gotten a rough ride, due to vibrations transferred though the hitch.

It's the part on the "truck" and I have seen a couple of used ones as of late.

I hauled 8k lbs home from cleveland one rainy friday night, and a 2 hour
trip turned into a 5 hour bucking bronco ride. I could not shift the load any,
and the ride was horrible.

I would like to hear from "them that's doin'...."

I use B&W products. The turn over ball gooseneck is above and beyond the best. The companion (slider setup is available) is the compatible 5th wheel add on.
I install these, and service a shit ton of trailers of all sizes. I've had a few customers want the air set ups. Next truck, we're back to the OG setup. Bucking bronco is piss poor setup on your part.

If you want to dump the extra money, go for it. As an installer and retailer, I wouldn't push it as a sale. There are more cost effective way to fix the issue.

As far as adding fifth wheel capability, what gooseneck setup do you have now?
BTW, chevy is notorious for having a softer ride empty, and not really living up to heavy duty status while towing. Look into a product called a "timbren SES".
Setting you up the correct way is better done by actual conversation. If you're interested in my input, feel free to pm me a contact number. There are a lot of variables that come into play, and I'm not going to waste time going back and forth on messages when I can just speak to you.

By the way, general consensus is, more weight, more benefit from air. 8K? 3500 bucking? Shit truck, or piss poor trailer and loading setup. Not that I'd condone it, but a 1500 with an in bed hitch should be able to rock 8,000 with no issues.

Trailer is a bucking bronco: Likely too much tongue weight and or trailer tongue heading "downhill" (hitch too low)

Seems that a trailer that is headed somewhat uphill empty pulls better, can be level loaded, but when the tongue gets low it will buck.
Too much weight on the back and it will whip.

I have stopped along side the road to shift the load, when it was bucking. Nothing like trying to move a big machine that way.
When a trailer is set up and the load balanced right, you hardly know it is there.

I have an upside down 5th wheel on my 43' triaxle. There's just a hitch pin in the bed. Handles great, never bucked, very stable.
A ball would be more versatile but I've never needed it. One of my guys has a B&W turnover ball and loves it. B&W makes a pin for the upside down 5th wheel.

I have a Trailer Saver air ride 5th wheel hitch, the 5th plate is interchangeable with a gooseneck ball mount. It was the standard of air ride hitches for several years. There is also the ET hitch and two or three others. The air ride hitches like the ET and Trailer Saver reduce "chucking".

Steve

Attachments

• 20180821_175216.jpg
    20180821_175216.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 214

Back