What's new
What's new

alternate diesel fuel for indoor forklift?

Bluechipx

Hot Rolled
If I have a diesel forklift to unload/load machines from trucks, is there a better fuel to use when I also have to spend some time in the shop moving them and setting them in place? I have heard kerosene or biodiesel would be close to perfect for breathability when using in the shop on a short term basis. Or, because I am never more that 50-70 feet from the door, a tig welded adaptor and a hose leading outdoors? I am looking at a 15,000 pound forklift for $4500 instead of $15,000 plus because it is diesel. Thoughts?

I used to work at a cat dealer and in a boat application 3208 diesel was converted to run part Lpg using a low setting on the fuel pump and lpg setup.
Not sure who made it as it was a long time ago.
Maybe a option to think of but the conversion will eat into your price accordingly and nature of emissions compared to a Lpg only fork i do not know for indoor use.

oh
anything other than diesel running through the pump has to have the same lubricity as diesel or the pump and injectors are toast.

If it's a little older you could convert it to run on waste vegetable oil. Then at least the place would smell like tacos or fried chicken instead of diesel stink :D

(True on th smell, btw. and biodiesel costs more than regular diesel these days but it has better lubricity, better for the engine. So might consider that but otherwise, it probably still smells not so good indoors. Can't hurt to try tho.)

^ Go careful, improperly home made bio diesels have a habit of gelling up if not used with in a certain time span.

For the short usage, maybe a large portable barn fan in the door (like those
5' round ones)

The fuel isn't going to make much difference. There is a reason the lift is cheap. $4500 won't even buy the dpf on a new diesel engine. If moving the machines yourself is important, pick a nicer day and open all the doors. Otherwise, either spend more money on a lift or hire someone who is using a lift with a tier 4 engine.

I would recommend #1 diesel which is pretty close to kerosine, but should be a little cheaper. In my experience it burns a little cleaner than #2. And make sure the injection pump and injectors are in tip top shape. That can help a lot to get a cleaner running engine. In any case, aside from getting something with all the modern emission controls a diesel will always be a diesel.

If it's a little older you could convert it to run on waste vegetable oil. Then at least the place would smell like tacos or fried chicken instead of diesel stink :D

(True on th smell, btw. and biodiesel costs more than regular diesel these days but it has better lubricity, better for the engine. So might consider that but otherwise, it probably still smells not so good indoors. Can't hurt to try tho.)

In some parts of the country diesel exhaust is considered a top olfactory experience both raw and burnt...along with wd40 and fresh asphalt :)

Is the engine direct or indirect injection? If it's a pre-chamber head design, it'll run on propane. Install a propane mixer body (carb), start it and let it idle on diesel, then use the propane carb while you're indoors. OK, it's a bit more complicated than that, but compression ignition Nat Gas or Propane is doable. I've seen it done in a research setting. How bad do you want to do it?

LPG diesel dual fuel engine – A critical review - ScienceDirect

Is the engine direct or indirect injection? If it's a pre-chamber head design, it'll run on propane. Install a propane mixer body (carb), start it and let it idle on diesel, then use the propane carb while you're indoors. OK, it's a bit more complicated than that, but compression ignition Nat Gas or Propane is doable. I've seen it done in a research setting. How bad do you want to do it?

LPG diesel dual fuel engine – A critical review - ScienceDirect

I just clicked this link and read it all, WOW! doable but a bit complicated. Thanks for the very detailed information on propane as an alternative.

Same here. Smoke is wasted fuel, and the wankers that do it on the road (with a pick
up truck) have caused allot of the regulations we see now.

This is one place I like to see it, just once a year:
Twin Turbo Detroit Diesel Full Pull - YouTube

Not only does it waste fuel, it spikes the egts high enough to do a lot of damage in a short amount of time by way of heat damage and washing the cylinder walls...think of wet stacking.

I just clicked this link and read it all, WOW! doable but a bit complicated. Thanks for the very detailed information on propane as an alternative.

Well, I think a good 'ole boy could bypass and ignore a lot of the BS details, and crowbar a redneck version, just for giggles.
I saw a very crude setup on a VW diesel, Nat Gas introduced thru a hollowed out glow plug. Engine was very strong on the dyno and sounded much like a spark ignition engine. EGT was very manageable as well.
After you perfect it, you can sell it as a kit.......maybe.

As adama says, biodiesel simply doesn't work for forklift applications unless you are the rare bird that runs the forklift 8 hours a day every business day. Biodiesel is meant for semi trucks in near constant motion, burning the fuel fast enough to not gum up the works.

^ Yeah my friends experience was if your not topping up every week - fortnight your going to have issues and even then it pays to flush some std diesel through once in a while.

I heard long ago that sunflower oil will run a diesel just fine. Maybe have two fuel tanks one for indoor one for outdoor with a valve to switch them around.
Bill D.

Back