Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

got the box out- way bad...lower bearing had fell apart, rollers sideways, rust pitted sector 1/16" deep...no fixing this one. looking at car boxes, problem is rotation.

Country
    NICARAGUA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That char lynn setup is what you need. Doesnt use a steering box at all, just a steering valve with the wheel on it, a pump, and a cylinder to move the linkage.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PocoLoco View Post
    That char lynn setup is what you need. Doesnt use a steering box at all, just a steering valve with the wheel on it, a pump, and a cylinder to move the linkage.
    yes, have one- the whole column- off a yale I thought about putting on it... but the way the column is made with the two shift levers, etc. would require mounting near floor to everything to fit and still look kinda original...
    I got lucky and found a steering box that looks near ideal... will be in stock location, just need to make a lower column tube mount and add a coupler. hydraulics will exit to the right(only 'clear' area- whew) just above the floor, will even couple to the original draglink...
    its a Chevy Astro van box(very common casting, but Astro linkage has the required left hand pitch ballscrew) with a jeep pitman, and a 55-57 chevy ballstud... stock linkage/positions all work

for the steering pump, going to flip the generator mounts to lift it about 2", and mount the pump below it- a extra accessory pulley exists too. heres a couple pics of just mocked up, and the mount made- hope to weld it in tomorrow.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

tried making some room for a automotive power steering pump- flipped the generator mounts, gained 3" underneath... 8" from generator to hydraulic line *should* give enough room for a pump. going to go to the pull-a-part in the next couple days fr a cw rotation vee belt pump- hopefully on a adjustable bracket I can hack up

oh, heres the old/new boxes, terrible pics, but...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

went to pull-a-part last week, struck out- like 3 vee belted vehicles in the whole place...didnt feel like pulling/ordering a pulley just to be able to measure, so ordered one off ebay- 84 ranger v6 mount/pump looked like a good candidate, it should arrive later today...
    think the bracket can just be cut, and a mounting plate added to it- it has slotted adjustment holes and a pull stud to tension the belt...hope it fits in the hole made by raising the generator

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

probably shelving the towmotor mostly till after the holidays- last two evenings, stayed late, got it all back in functional order, but still ugly... times limited in the next few weeks, preferred having it all in one piece before parking it and somewhat abandoning it again for a while...

the steering pump ended up fitting quite decently, except when time comes to change a belt, someones gonna hate me- the generator has to come off to loosen the bracket, enough to get clearance to remove or install a generator belt, and the counterweight(only 4 big bolts- but 2 tons) really needs pulled for only slightly better access- its really a snug fit in there...but aside from that access to check/fill, even hose replacement is accessible...luckily belts usually last decades, in limited use, it will likely never be changed.
    the power steering functions as it should, the old thing now drives like a new one- except for the manual clutch of course... replaced all the hoses to the tilt system, along with steering hoses, so only original hoses are the main pressure/tank and and lift hoses, which were all still in good shape- I did need to relocate the pressure line to clear the steer pump mounting, and saw it had been replaced, probably when engine was rebuilt, just months before they decided to scrap it...
    Anyways, felt good driving it around- its close to 1/4 mile from our shop area to the back of the storage area where its been stashed all summer, had drove the shop forklift/boom back to toss the counterweight back on earlier yesterday, when I drove it back last night(with brakes, throttle that werent working yet thursdy when i parked it, just driving at idle), when taking it back to park it, forgot my keys, had to drive back and forth again and just thought thats the farthest this thing had been driven in the 25 years id known of it...it had been hoisted via crane off a 2nd floor storage building 6-7 years ago where it had been for decades in very very limited use, oddly even all that time the thing never failed to need more than a battery charger. not really sure why they decided to rebuild the engine and repaint it without fixing the steering- which was always near impossible... but it drives great now, and all works- still needs pressure washed(!) rewired, front tires, seat, belt, horn, lights, strip-fill-paint, but all that stuff will be easy compared to the steering conversion which was anything but...

7. Likes e-fishin-c liked this post
    Country
    NICARAGUA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks good to me!