Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

got the box out- way bad...lower bearing had fell apart, rollers sideways, rust pitted sector 1/16" deep...no fixing this one. looking at car boxes, problem is rotation.

Country
    NICARAGUA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That char lynn setup is what you need. Doesnt use a steering box at all, just a steering valve with the wheel on it, a pump, and a cylinder to move the linkage.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PocoLoco View Post
    That char lynn setup is what you need. Doesnt use a steering box at all, just a steering valve with the wheel on it, a pump, and a cylinder to move the linkage.
    yes, have one- the whole column- off a yale I thought about putting on it... but the way the column is made with the two shift levers, etc. would require mounting near floor to everything to fit and still look kinda original...
    I got lucky and found a steering box that looks near ideal... will be in stock location, just need to make a lower column tube mount and add a coupler. hydraulics will exit to the right(only 'clear' area- whew) just above the floor, will even couple to the original draglink...
    its a Chevy Astro van box(very common casting, but Astro linkage has the required left hand pitch ballscrew) with a jeep pitman, and a 55-57 chevy ballstud... stock linkage/positions all work

for the steering pump, going to flip the generator mounts to lift it about 2", and mount the pump below it- a extra accessory pulley exists too. heres a couple pics of just mocked up, and the mount made- hope to weld it in tomorrow.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

tried making some room for a automotive power steering pump- flipped the generator mounts, gained 3" underneath... 8" from generator to hydraulic line *should* give enough room for a pump. going to go to the pull-a-part in the next couple days fr a cw rotation vee belt pump- hopefully on a adjustable bracket I can hack up

oh, heres the old/new boxes, terrible pics, but...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

went to pull-a-part last week, struck out- like 3 vee belted vehicles in the whole place...didnt feel like pulling/ordering a pulley just to be able to measure, so ordered one off ebay- 84 ranger v6 mount/pump looked like a good candidate, it should arrive later today...
    think the bracket can just be cut, and a mounting plate added to it- it has slotted adjustment holes and a pull stud to tension the belt...hope it fits in the hole made by raising the generator

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

probably shelving the towmotor mostly till after the holidays- last two evenings, stayed late, got it all back in functional order, but still ugly... times limited in the next few weeks, preferred having it all in one piece before parking it and somewhat abandoning it again for a while...

the steering pump ended up fitting quite decently, except when time comes to change a belt, someones gonna hate me- the generator has to come off to loosen the bracket, enough to get clearance to remove or install a generator belt, and the counterweight(only 4 big bolts- but 2 tons) really needs pulled for only slightly better access- its really a snug fit in there...but aside from that access to check/fill, even hose replacement is accessible...luckily belts usually last decades, in limited use, it will likely never be changed.
    the power steering functions as it should, the old thing now drives like a new one- except for the manual clutch of course... replaced all the hoses to the tilt system, along with steering hoses, so only original hoses are the main pressure/tank and and lift hoses, which were all still in good shape- I did need to relocate the pressure line to clear the steer pump mounting, and saw it had been replaced, probably when engine was rebuilt, just months before they decided to scrap it...
    Anyways, felt good driving it around- its close to 1/4 mile from our shop area to the back of the storage area where its been stashed all summer, had drove the shop forklift/boom back to toss the counterweight back on earlier yesterday, when I drove it back last night(with brakes, throttle that werent working yet thursdy when i parked it, just driving at idle), when taking it back to park it, forgot my keys, had to drive back and forth again and just thought thats the farthest this thing had been driven in the 25 years id known of it...it had been hoisted via crane off a 2nd floor storage building 6-7 years ago where it had been for decades in very very limited use, oddly even all that time the thing never failed to need more than a battery charger. not really sure why they decided to rebuild the engine and repaint it without fixing the steering- which was always near impossible... but it drives great now, and all works- still needs pressure washed(!) rewired, front tires, seat, belt, horn, lights, strip-fill-paint, but all that stuff will be easy compared to the steering conversion which was anything but...

7. Likes e-fishin-c liked this post
    Country
    NICARAGUA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks good to me!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

slowly but surely...

got the front chassis reinforcement welded in, 90% of the paint stripped off and treated with ospho. should be skim filled and primered soon. was really surprised, with the mast off it will barely move- even short as the counterweight is, without the mast on it theres only maybe a few hundred pounds on the front tires...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kimg0042-1-.jpg  

10. Likes e-fishin-c liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

covering up some of the ugly... got the exterior all stripped, treated, epoxy primed, first filler over the dings and dents... hoping to have it leveled out and in O.D.Green possibly tomorrow... the old power steering reservoir is seeping, got a new one coming...one tilt cyl fitting has a drip also- gotta remove the cyl to tighten that one, but its already half unhooked... and that should have it 100% leak free will be glad when this things done...

12. Likes jancollc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well, its mostly OD Green finally...

hopefully will get the mast cleaned/painted/reinstalled, then pull the front wheels to redo the brakes and press the new front tires on. new tank mounts are ordered (current one half broken...) gotta get some duraglas to reinforce and repair the seat pan... the top gelcoat is a million little cracks, think its gonna get covered with something... maybe a 'tool tray' type thing on the right(wider) side, and tread tape to cover the other... think the pan in OD Green with a black seat, black tread tape beside the seat and black steel tool tray would look OK? gonna need something to hide the gelcot cracks, they will just return if filled/painted...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    I always wanted to put an "I Like Ike" bumper sticker on mine.
    I got round ones from the Eisenhower Museum-

got the new tank mounts on it yesterday and the busted/cracked seat pan reinforced- it came out better than I thought it would and only took a couple hours

didnt get much for pics, but this was first layup after just 36 grit removing of the gelcoat- its just cloth from a old teeshirt, saturated with polyester resin- stretched easily into the shape and laid down...ran a DA over it once cured, and brushed on another thick coat of resin, it flowed out on its own, just dusted over with the DA to knock the shine off... the center part(gets covered by steel reinforcement and the seat itself, so wont be seen)used a thicker shoprag to add thickness... the cotton lays tight, requires a lot less work than glass cloth or matting... sure its not as strong as matting, but bet its similar to thin glass cloth- it swells when soaked and is thicker than glass, yet sticks smooth to the surface, unlike fiberglass cloth thats hard to stretch around curves... another nice thing is the dust wont make you itch rolled the last of my paint over it, barely covering it...

ran to Summit and got more painting stuff tonight, hoping to have all the rest of the tin coated and back on this weekend- still need to make up new side panels, only had one and its pretty beat up...

15. Likes e-fishin-c liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

got all the rest of the tin cleaned and green'd the forks were really rusty, as theyd sat sunk in the dirt for years, but cleaned up well... plasma cut the bent/chipped tips off about 1", theyre still under 1/4" thick at the tip, so not bad... the original tips were under 1/8", probably from 50 years of being dragged...the heel wear wasnt bad at all- guess they'd kept the chains adjusted.

think I decided on a side panel layout- wanted room for the white star, but need cooling slots too, so:

2nd coat of paint on stuff that needed it, heres how the seat pan looks finish wise- seems silly to roll on good 2 part urethane when youve got spray equipment and a booth handy- but I like the look... wont show scuffs as bad as a smooth finish, plus touchups are invisible and no mess-

getting there pretty quick now... also bough wire/terminals/loom, hoping to rewire it one evening this week... seat/belt ordered, gotta figure out seat pan mounting- the old one was just sitting on there all the years ive known it- made the seat belt kinda useless- duh... thinking a 4 link that tips up and off to one side would be best clearance for service, and a set of hood pins to lock it down- maybe... just hood pins would work, but PITA to check oil and whatnot...a linkage with gas strut would be nice...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

have u tried the countering test, something's prevalent today ;0.
    hey i'm in my 20s too, and really kicked into this game !! i really began from manuals at reliable-store and then swooped into much technicalities... yours i think i've read somewhere
    haha good to hear it's working fine !!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

progressing along...

50's ford F100 brake shoe linings were riveted on to the old shoes(no wear, but debonded- and unavailable- this truck has 11" brakes instead of 8 3/4 for some odd reason... it appears they were never offered - found references to part numbers, but no mentions of truck models used on...

new gauges, tires due in tomorrow- and aluminum for side panels...did some minor cleaning under the dash and bedlinered it (couldn't see spending a week disassembling and detailing- its a forklift, not a show car LOL. did take a couple hours to recut the steering column 'port' for the horn brush, and fabbed a new insulator and slipring...made a 4 link setup for the seat, no latch or gas strut yet, but I like the room it offers without having to remove the seat pan

heres a little video of the seat mount/motion-

seat test- sideways/4-link | no latches or gas struts yet, j… | Flickr

heres the slipring/horn brush port- had to relocate it about 6" higher due to shortening required for the power steering box and ujoint...

chopped all the wiring out last night, hope to get in and have it rewired tonight, getting busy at work- theyve been very awesome about letting me store/work on this ugly old thing after hours, but its gonna need out soon. still hoping to deliver to the museum about end of the month. sooner the better, the darn thing has become a money pit, especially this past month...plus its taken pretty much all of my spare time...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

got only one new front tire pressed on so far, went back to working on the side panels... its still a ugly duckling of a machine, will never be a 1969 mustang- but its looking better than the first time I'd saw it in 1989, and it runs so nice... just woulda been a shame to have thrown that old flathead in the scrap bin...but had i been smart, woulda just let it go.

have decided when this is done, no more oddball projects- i do have a 1969 mustang to work on, that I disassembled in 1984...its time to save that before i get too old to work on it, its gonna take a couple years, even if I get after it... getting a 429, retrofitting 2006 mustang gt PCM, mopar cam phaser/dual water pumps to leave room for cam advance hydraulics, new timing cover/crank trigger/front oil pump(loosing distributor completely), port injection/knock sensors, servo throttle body(with second slaved unit- like a horizontal 4 barrel)... got a crown vic front frame clip, going to section it for width, make a bolt in subframe akin to the old nova/camaro setups- gonna be heavy I know, but wont flex under the 429... been collecting parts for it forever, just never had hours or dollars to do it up, so never started... but time to get it off the rotisserie and made a roller again, will take more time than money for most of that work...but gotta start somewhere

20. Likes e-fishin-c liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

slowly but surely... got the lighter gas strut in for the seat, opens one handed now(still gotta do latch), new gages wired in, oil filter remounted(need longer hoses),about 2/3 of the wiring done- gotta add clutch/brakelight switches yet

took it outside for a pic in the sun a few days ago-

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

relocated the headlights, just got to finish seat latches, mount the reverse switch, and a couple other things...almost there

23. Likes e-fishin-c liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is fantastic...what a save! Its amazing the "crust" that those machines can pickup from dirt+oil/grease...That looks ready for another 100 years' service in a small shop setting. Side panel turned out great with the star!

25. Likes tc429 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by matt_isserstedt View Post
    This is fantastic...what a save! Its amazing the "crust" that those machines can pickup from dirt+oil/grease...That looks ready for another 100 years' service in a small shop setting. Side panel turned out great with the star!
    thanks- hopefully being at the museum it might be handy on occasion to move stuff around- and hopefully will still be running far into the future...just seemed it woulda been a shame to have crushed such a neat old workhorse.
    i'm sure the LAST thing on anyones mind when they drove it outside to park in the scrap iron area was that it might end up sitting in a daggone airplane museum 5 yrs later- almost impossibly weird when you think about it

27. Likes matt_isserstedt liked this post