What's new
What's new

Anyone have a line on a Versa Lift 25/35 for sale?

Thank you. I shot them a e-mail. A nice machine but probably a little over budget. I missed a 2006 machine - missed it by one day and hoping to find a similar deal.

Versa-lifts are really nice machines but are pretty pricey.
I think he figured that out early on, which is the point of his post here...to perhaps find an ugly one in ok condition direct from a rigger for less than dealers get for prettied up ones. Will still be painfully expensive but worth it .....might sell it years later for more than he paid for it.

Mark, out of curiosity, would you tell me what year was the V 25/35 (presumably LP powered) you missed and how much did it sell for ?

Also, is 35,000 lb capacity rated at 36" centers rather than the usual 24" ?

You might try these people Versa-Lift Forklift Rental - A1 Hevi-Lift Rentals
Their main business is renting lifts but they have some for sale from time to time.
There's a couple more Versalift 25/35 on eliftruck.com but both say "Rental Only"....used ones are hard to find for sale....may have to wait for the next recession when the rental demand dries up.

Unfortunately recessions often coincides with ones own need of same drying up....or the money to purchase, even when cheap.... I'll never forget an RB auction near Atlanta during the depths of the recession in 2002 where clean late model ten to twenty ton rough terrain cranes, that normally would sell in the $50,000+ range were going for $10 to $12,000....due to lack of demand at the time and lack of money to buy them.

I appreciate the responses. The rental guys do not sell as they get a pretty penny for a rental. New a 25/35 with the jib is 186k but the delivery time is far out so the price of used ones is pretty high. A older one does not bother me and I am not expecting one with low hours. I think in the 100-120k range should be fair for a good working used machine.

More times than not, used Versa-lifts will bring more money than a brand new one. They are pretty much built to order and if you need one now you have to go with used.

I appreciate the responses. The rental guys do not sell as they get a pretty penny for a rental. New a 25/35 with the jib is 186k but the delivery time is far out so the price of used ones is pretty high. A older one does not bother me and I am not expecting one with low hours. I think in the 100-120k range should be fair for a good working used machine.

What makes the Versalift more desirable than offerings from other manufacturers of extendable counterweight forklifts? A quick google search shows Royal Tractor and Hoist also manufacture extendable wheelbase/counterweight forklifts.

I have used the Royal's and the VersaLifts. Vintage and condition means a lot. Was not able to compare new to new but a friend who is very thorough bought three new Royal RIG N LIFT's. I would be happy with either!

Man are though factory booms awesome..

What makes the Versalift more desirable than offerings from other manufacturers of extendable counterweight forklifts? A quick google search shows Royal Tractor and Hoist also manufacture extendable wheelbase/counterweight forklifts.
Your link in post 9 is definitely not extendable....so who REALLY besides Versalift makes extendable wheelbase forklifts ??

OK, Hoist makes one...FR Series extendable counterweight forklift | Hoist Liftruck

Anyone else ? Ah, looks like Royal did make one as well... MachineryTrader.com | 27 ROYAL RIG-N-LIFT 3/45 For Sale

One of the most mysterious rigger style forklift/cranes to me has always been the TriLifter, which I think also has extendable counterweight. Below is one that can lift 150,000 lbs !!! I can't imagine what truck could haul it to a worksite.

75 ton TriLifter - YouTube

There are many Tri Lifter videos on Youtube but apparently there is some injunction against actually showing one doing anything.....seems like every video is just one running around in circles with the forks all the way up or down and that's about all they show. Some photos showing one lifting a huge in building gantry crane into position....looks ideal for that purpose as it can raise one from it's 'roof' straight up...no counterweight issues in that case.

those tri-lifters/ twin lifts are cool. The rigger that moved my Monster press ( 19 feet tall and 96,000+ lbs) used a 50 ton twin lift/ trilifter and a 60,000 lb versa lift.... had one on each side, lifted it up, rotated it down how it would go on the trailer in the air..... a real sight to see. The versa was wireless so 1 operator could walk around an communicate with the other lift operator.....
The versa's are a nice rig.

We've got a 50 ton Tri-lifter. They will lift a bunch but are slow, maintenance intensive, and kind of fragile if you don't know what you are doing when operating them. They also will get stuck very easy if even the concrete floor isn't perfectly flat. All that being said, they can do things that no other machine can do in certain situations. I wouldn't trade ours for anything but you have to know what you're doing when you have 100,000LB 15' in the air.

Versa-lift is basically the Cadillac in the heavy lifting world. If you've ever operated one, you'll understand. They operate as smooth as silk and are more compact than any other machine of similar capacity. Compact size is paramount in the machinery moving world. A lot of the plants we go into have very little room to maneuver and they will want some massive machine moved in very tight spaces.

That is why I asked the OP what he was going to be using it for. If you don't need the compact size, there are a lot of more reasonably priced options for a lift in the 40K range.

We've got a 50 ton Tri-lifter. They will lift a bunch but are slow, maintenance intensive, and kind of fragile .........

That is why I asked the OP what he was going to be using it for. If you don't need the compact size, there are a lot of more reasonably priced options for a lift in the 40K range.
Can you explain in more detail the maintenance needs and fragile aspects of the Tri-Lifter ? Also, are they still being made ?

Re OP's use, just the fact that he is educated enough to want a VersaLift indicates to me he is well aware of their compact advantages....so most likely that is what he needs.

As an aside, it is ironic that in the used forklift market, the pneumatic tire forklifts bring a premium up to about 10K capacity but beyond that the money graph lines cross and cushion tire machines become more expensive while the pneumatics become cheaper. Reason being a 15K pneumatic is a monster in size compared to a 15K cushion tire lift truck. Also interesting is that 15,500 lb capacity seems to be the absolute limit at which cushion tire forklifts are reasonable in price....at 20K and up capacity the prices rise dramatically.

One exception being electric powered ones (and to some extent, diesel as well, since using diesel inside is problematic)....due to undesirability of battery cost. I once owned a 20,000 lbs Hoist (that was really a 30,000 lb capacity Hoist with less counterweight) that was refurbished by Hoist and appeared nearly new, complete with new paint, tires and forks.... for less than $20 grand from a dealer....but the catch was it used two 36 volt batteries (72 volt system) that today would cost in the $12,000+ range just for two new batteries !!

On the Tri-lifter, it doesn't take much side load at all with the cylinders extended. There is just a lot of leverage there and the only thing for support is the cylinders themselves. You can also run into side loading the cylinders carrying loads up and down ramps and if you have to raise and lower going up a ramp you have to bypass the level system or things will get all out of shape.

Some of the early models were bad about breaking axles loaded in a turn but I think they solved that issue on the later models. The tires also take a beating and wear pretty fast just due to the shear weight they carry. Lots of electronics and cylinders to leak.

They are good lifts for what they do but you really need to baby them to not tear things up.

I assume they still make them. Riggers Manufacturing is still in business but don't really have more than just a office and a few people. Lift Systems owns a majority stake in the company and I assume they build them for Riggers. They have always just pretty much just built to order anyway. There also seems to be differences in every model made with no two being exactly alike. I found this out trying to order parts, you pretty much just have to find out where Riggers got the part or have it made. If you call, there is a guy there named Lenard that is pretty knowledgeable and can steer you in the right direction for parts or can pull up your build sheet with the S/N.

On the Tri-lifter, it doesn't take much side load at all with the cylinders extended. There is just a lot of leverage there and the only thing for support is the cylinders themselves.

That's what I was thinking too looking at how tall and skinny the cylinders were once fully extended and not having any other form of bracing.

75 ton TriLifter - YouTube

There are many Tri Lifter videos on Youtube but apparently there is some injunction against actually showing one doing anything.....seems like every video is just one running around in circles with the forks all the way up or down and that's about all they show. Some photos showing one lifting a huge in building gantry crane into position....looks ideal for that purpose as it can raise one from it's 'roof' straight up...no counterweight issues in that case.

Well, in -that- video it's clear that "salesman" is at his mental limit just making the thing "go" in circles. If he wasn't inept he could at least pick up the back of one of those other units as a feeble demonstration of ability.

Back