What's new
What's new

Anyone interested in a davit arm build thread?

Hardplates

Stainless
Sometimes its a pain to get to the press with the forklift and moving couple hundred pound pieces by hand gets old fast, even at 36. So I figure it's time to start working on getting a chainfall up there. I'll likely work on it a few hours a week and build it with roller bearings and a trolley on an I beam.

Was curious if this is something others would be interested in seeing or I'd be waiting my time and bandwidth posting about it.

Attachments

• press12.jpg
    press12.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 271
It is always interesting to see how people solve problems. Writing up the build, although usually a bit of a PITA, can really help you stay motivated. But please do your homework and make a safe design. There are a lot of people on this site who have experience doing this, and if you ask, they may have a lot of helpful advice. I am a geezer, and now look at any heavy lifting (35 pounds?) with a lot of trepidation. Starting now with good lifting practice may help keep your back, and other useful parts operating smoothly when YOU are a geezer. :o

So let it rip, ugh.., I mean, lets see how you do it.
All the best,
Michael

Would I like to see the build? Sure, why not? I've have/had need in similar situations now and then too. As I get older I find the work hasn't gotten any lighter.

It's a start :D

Attachments

• Screenshot (92).jpg
    Screenshot (92).jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 20200319_094708.jpg
    20200319_094708.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 145
  • 20200319_102240.jpg
    20200319_102240.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 20200319_112128.jpg
    20200319_112128.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 20200319_114246.jpg
    20200319_114246.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 163
Looks like you have a CAD program for solid modeling. Care to share a screen shot of the assembly model? Not interested in stealing your work/numbers just curious about the overall concept you have in mind.

My neighbors weld shop made several (some columns have (2))

He used ball bearing pillow blocks for the hinges.

They swing very nicely.

Looks like you have a CAD program for solid modeling. Care to share a screen shot of the assembly model? Not interested in stealing your work/numbers just curious about the overall concept you have in mind.

I don't have an assembly competed yet. I'm sort of used to Solidworks with building individual parts which apparently isn't how Fusion was designed. I have no problem posting details as I will NOT be selling these and anyone if free to copy it for their own personal use. This will likely take a while as I have been very busy trying to get other work done. But I will keep the thread updated.

Attachments

• Screenshot (96).jpg
    Screenshot (96).jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 81
I don't have an assembly competed yet. I'm sort of used to Solidworks with building individual parts which apparently isn't how Fusion was designed. I have no problem posting details as I will NOT be selling these and anyone if free to copy it for their own personal use. This will likely take a while as I have been very busy trying to get other work done. But I will keep the thread updated.
McMaster-Carr

I had to look it up, Davit Arm is more or less a jib crane.

Yes would like to see more progress and build. :)

What kind of arm length and capacity are you aiming for?

Tangential: I've done some with the concrete foundation types and modified a Gorbel that interfaces with my welding bench...cut about 4 feet out of the tube to get the right height for me. Its only a 250# capacity. Yea I know that arm says 125 but its identical in every aspect to a 250#, I have compared thoroughly and it supports my big ass hanging off the end...so...:D

I don't have an assembly competed yet. I'm sort of used to Solidworks with building individual parts which apparently isn't how Fusion was designed..

-I use SolidWorks, thought your screen shot looked like it. Never used Fusion so I have no reference. I thought most of the solid modeling programs (mostly) were either object>action or action>object in command sequence, the only difference being icons. I guess not. I look forward to progress when you have the time to do so from you or anybody else that's done a similar project.

Back