What's new
What's new

Anyone use fedex freightbox?

Rob F.

Diamond
Has anyone used this service from fedex? Seems like a great deal if I am to believe what I read on the website. linked below. It shows fedex has a flat rate box that is pallet sized with a 1200 lbs max weight. Looks to be $150-$350 to ship it in the lower 48, depending on the zone,(colorado to calif is zone 5).
I found it looking for a way to ship a pallet from Colorado to Calif, each way.

Here is a link:
FedEx Freight(R) Box | FedEx Freight(R) LTL

this pricing info is also in the first link:
https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/f.../FedEx_Freight_Box_Leave_Behind_814573965.pdf

sweet deal ,, I order my tumble stone from calif and its been running me $280 for 350 lbs ,, this freight box thing would be $220 for 1200 lbs .. thank you for posting it up

For giggles and grins try YRC For some unknown reason if I don't use my account with them and go on line to YRC.com and use my credit card they have amazing low rates. Big difference between charging it to my company account and using credit card , go figure. I do use Fed Ex and I am equally happy with there service as well, just seems that YRC is generally less.

That seems like a good deal for sure. Does the 150-350 include the box price or just shipment?

For giggles and grins try YRC For some unknown reason if I don't use my account with them and go on line to YRC.com and use my credit card they have amazing low rates. Big difference between charging it to my company account and using credit card , go figure. I do use Fed Ex and I am equally happy with there service as well, just seems that YRC is generally less.

I have had YRC quote me numbers like $4000 over the phone, and then gotten the same shipment to $500-600 using the dimensional freight quote online. Makes no sense to me.

Yes, I used a freghtbox, once.

Took like 2 weeks for them to get me the box, despite being told it takes a couple days.

The other thing is the price is inclusive, with exception to the 'fuel surcharge.' I asked the freghtbox rep what that was, and was assured it wasn't much, but wasn't told how much.

Turns out, it was an additional 25% of the freghtbox charge. I later found it on their website - kinda hidden unless you know what you're looking for. I think the surcharge is updated every month, but so it might be lower now, but when I did it, was 25%.

They'd probably be okay if you're shipping near max weight, but for my 2-300 pound skids, I do better going through a broker.

YRC also charges a fuel surcharge
Here are the rates for YRC, not much different than fedex.
U.S. Fuel Surcharge – U.S. Shipping Rates | YRC Freight

An update after reading the good recommendations for YRC. :cheers:

I went to YRC website and it turns out they do not serve Basalt, Colorado.
Site said I had to call to get a rate that included a partner carrier, that was about $1200 for a 36x36" 500 lbs stackable pallet.
The guy on the phone was helpful and suggested terminal drop off and pick up, I did that on the site. To have it dropped off and picked up in Colorado at the nearest terminal, Grand Junction, 2 hrs drive away was $178, and terminal to terminal was $124, my terminal is "only" 45 min drive.

So far it looks like fedex is top of the list, the rate chart might have gone down??
https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/f.../FedEx_Freight_Box_Leave_Behind_548434776.pdf
Now the cheap rate is $208 (or $219). So even with about $50 fuel surcharge the best rate from them is aprox $258
The YRC rate of Colorado terminal to me is $178 + $40 fuel surcharge is aprox $218. This means 4 hrs drive time in Colorado to save $40 off the fedex price. Or with terminal to terminal price of $124+$30 fuel surcharge is approx $154, this saves over fedex is $104

This assumes that fedex can/will deliver a freight box to the Basalt, Colorado location at the published price.

I did not check YRC to see if it is the same price to go each way, I think it should be...

YRC also has about the same fuel surcharge 21.9% as of 3-25-20.

Thank you guys for letting me know about YRC. :cheers: Here is an update of what I found out.
YRC does not serve Basalt, Colorado. Nearest hubs are over 100 miles away and you need to call them so they can quote a "partner carrier" to do do that pick up and drop off. I did call and the quote was about $1200, after a 60% new customer discount was applied. The guy on the phone was helpful and asked if it was posssible to take pallet to the hub. This can be priced right on website. Colorado hub "Grand Junction" to me cost $178+$40 surcharge = $218. Grand junction hub to hub near me was $124+$28 surcharge = $152.
Based on fedex freightbox pricing of $220+$50 surcharge = $270, the YRC hub connections are lower price but have to drive to get that price. Either $218 with 4 hrs drive time in Colorado to get to and from the hub to save $52 or $152 with the same 4 hrs drive time in Colorado AND 1 1/2 hrs drive time in Calif to get to and from the hub, to save $118. I did not figure it actual time at the terminals for them to do paperwork and find the pallet.
Fedex pricing again, zone 5:
https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/f.../FedEx_Freight_Box_Leave_Behind_814573965.pdf
Pallet size for quote was 36"x36"x24" and 500 lbs, stackable.

We ended up going with the YRC hub to hub shipping, the Colorado guys are regularly in Grand Junction so no out of the way driving. That crate was shorter than what initial quote was and 90 lbs less. The 36x36x18" 410lb crate cost $124- hub to hub INCLUDING fuel surcharge. Grand Junction, Co. to Santa Maria, Ca..

YRC also has about the same fuel surcharge 21.9% as of 3-25-20.

Thank you guys for letting me know about YRC. :cheers: Here is an update of what I found out.
YRC does not serve Basalt, Colorado. Nearest hubs are over 100 miles away and you need to call them so they can quote a "partner carrier" to do do that pick up and drop off. I did call and the quote was about $1200, after a 60% new customer discount was applied. The guy on the phone was helpful and asked if it was posssible to take pallet to the hub. This can be priced right on website. Colorado hub "Grand Junction" to me cost $178+$40 surcharge = $218. Grand junction hub to hub near me was $124+$28 surcharge = $152.
Based on fedex freightbox pricing of $220+$50 surcharge = $270, the YRC hub connections are lower price but have to drive to get that price. Either $218 with 4 hrs drive time in Colorado to get to and from the hub to save $52 or $152 with the same 4 hrs drive time in Colorado AND 1 1/2 hrs drive time in Calif to get to and from the hub, to save $118. I did not figure it actual time at the terminals for them to do paperwork and find the pallet.
Fedex pricing again, zone 5:
Pallet size for quote was 36"x36"x24" and 500 lbs, stackable.

We ended up going with the YRC hub to hub shipping, the Colorado guys are regularly in Grand Junction so no out of the way driving. That crate was shorter than what initial quote was and 90 lbs less. The 36x36x18" 410lb crate cost $124- hub to hub INCLUDING fuel surcharge. Grand Junction, Co. to Santa Maria, Ca..

Report back when it gets there. There are a lot of YRC/Yellow horror stories in this forum over the years.

We occasionally use the freight box. We are in Minnesota and the freightbox ends up being cheaper than palletized non-formal FedEx freight when we are shipping to the coasts.

We had some serious issues getting going with it. It took a while to get the freight boxes. And then the first two or three shipments with the freightbox didn't register as a freight box. And ended up being way more expensive than it would have been as normal FedEx freight. They refused to use the freightbox tariff rates. After much back and fourth, they setup another FedEx (sub)account that is for freightbox only and since then we have been charged correctly.

The packaging is pretty good, but definitely more time consuming than just banding something to a pallet.

I think it would work great for things like bulk bags or cut to length material where you could get a lot of weight moved for cheap.

I am waiting to hear about the Covid19 surcharge added to the bill. Extra cost for more tarps and extra gloves. I am guessing 1.9 to 19% added fee.
Bil lD

Back