What's new
What's new

Baker Electric Forklift Help Needed

adh2000

Titanium
Baker electric forklift, 8,000 lb lift rating, about mid 1980s model. As long as I push very gently on the accelerator the forklift will creep forward and very gradually pick up speed. If I try to accelerate at all beyond a very slow creep the relay releases and the forklift stops. Then very gently accelerate and start creeping trying this time not to press too much. Hopefully you get the idea. What could be wrong? Why is the relay letting go? Does the same in forward or reverse. I can live with it, barely. Can't go up even the slightest incline without a very long running start because I can't give it much accelerator. Has plenty of power otherwise, up down tilt all works great. Forgot to mention, battery is new.

plenty of power or plenty of energy?

sounds like a high resistance somewhere is causing a voltage drop under significant load and this fools the forklift electronics into thinking the battery is dead. check the battery cables and measure voltages under load.

Electronics 101...check the power supply.

Place a voltmeter where you can see it and connect to battery.

Suspect one or more bad cells in battery (higher resistance) that upon higher current load voltage drops.

This drop in voltage causes low voltage dropout circuit to activate(cuts off to protect BATTERY)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Knowing absolutely nothing about an electric forklift, so probably shouldn't even be here, but isn't the accelerator some type of potentiometer? My very first thought, if this is true, would be that through constant use it has worn out or become dirty. Would a cleaning with a aerosol contact cleaner do any good?

Stuart

Being in the 80's it should have a GE SCR, just not sure what series, any Lift Co.should be able to trouble shoot it in short order. It may be worth the time to just get it done rather then put up with the aggravation?

Back