What's new
What's new

Best way to move big horizontal Quincy 5120 compressor

tomjelly

Stainless
I need to pick up a big 25hp tank mounted horizontal recip compressor (Quincy 5120) in a few days, does anyone know if forklift forks will fit in the end of the motor mounting platform from the end or will I need to sling it from the compressor head and motor somehow? Weight is about 2200lbs, probably 120 gal tank. Doesn't look like the easiest thing to rig, tips appreciated...

I have never understood why compressors are made with no provisions for forklift lifting, unless the mfr's intent is that it rolls and gets busted so you buy a new one. My solution has always been to weld channel steel lengthwise between the feet, then a piece crosswise at each end under the channel. it is easy and simple, and allows you to move it with a pallet jack or forklift safely.

There are a number of versions of a 5120, so have to see which one you have. When we moved our big 25 hp unit to the new shop, we did it with 3 slings and a shackle. Single sling with the shackle on the motor hoist point. The other slings went around the compressor , below the cylinders in choker arrangement. One sling routed so that it was on the crank side, the other on the oil pump side. We lifted it up just enough to clear the trailer while it was being backed under it. At the new shop, picked it up the same way the forklift and put it on a skid to get to the install area, then picked it again to install.
Move slow and deliberate and check the balance before getting more than a couple inches off the floor.

I'd pick 1 side up and lag or carriage bolt a 4x6 as a cross member then do the other side. Then put some dunnage underneath and all done.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I think I'll need to sling the pump with the double chokers and one on the motor. I'm bringing a bunch of slings and some chains so I can adjust the balance. It will probably never be more than an inch off the floor, I hope. Supposed to be a fork lift available, if not I'm stuck with a pallet jack or 2, some lumber, and skates.

I think I'll need to sling the pump with the double chokers and one on the motor. I'm bringing a bunch of slings and some chains so I can adjust the balance. It will probably never be more than an inch off the floor, I hope. Supposed to be a fork lift available, if not I'm stuck with a pallet jack or 2, some lumber, and skates.

The lifting eye on the motor is rated for the motor only. Yes there is a substantial safety factor (IF it hasn't been swapped out with some Chinese POS) but you should NEVER invade your safety factor. Likewise the cylinders are not intended for side loads. Will you get away with it? Probably. If not we get entertained with the threads about "Why my compressor dropped and how do I fix it?" Up to you.

I do it the way Dalmationgirl described, but I just slide a couple 3x4's between the feet and the tank, and put the forks under the wood.

If you're handy with a cutting torch you can cut holes in the tank to stick the forks through. This guarantees the thing won't flip over. I did that very thing in two places I worked, just before they fired me..don't know why I was let go.

Stuart

Mine was sold with a two 4x4's underneath the 120 gal compressor tank skids. The forklift picked it up underneath the skids on end and gently placed the whole thing on a pick-up truck bed (8'). When I got it to my place I removed the pump and motor. Then I removed the tail gate on the truck and made a ramp from the bumper to the ground. Then I slide the whole thing down the ramp. The 4x4's acted like skis.

Your weight spec is 2060 lbs.

The 4x4s work well on the feet. Put a strap at the top to the mast to keep it from tipping if lifting from the bottom.
They tip so easy.
The slings to the pump and motor will work but watch the tubing for the controls. Not the best
method.

I hate moving compressors. I don't get why no one just incorporates forklift pockets. Seems stupid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

turned out to be super easy, because the fork lift tines fit under the compressor mount above the tank from the end. Once I got it home I bolted some sleepers lengthwise and used a pallet jack

Back