What's new
What's new

Can I run a powered pallet truck up a ramp?

implmex

Diamond
Hi All:
I'm looking at moving into a new shop space that's a lot closer to home.
I found one that's almost perfect but for one thing:
Access to the shop is up a 30 foot long ramp that's 8 feet wide and slopes upward at 9 degrees.

The ramp can handle a full sized SUV so it's plenty strong.
It's wood with expanded metal mesh nailed on top for grip.

What are the chances of being able to drive one of those powered pallet trucks up a ramp like this one?
I've never driven one and can find no stats anywhere on what kind of slope they can negotiate.
I see them used in level-floored warehouses, but I've also seen some on the streets being used to deliver pallets of supplies to restaurants up temporary ramps from the road to the sidewalk.
Do any of you think pallets trucks that can do such a steep ramp with such a harsh surface exist?
Anyone care to name a brand?
Any available that can tilt to help keep the load level?

My max load would be under 1000 lb

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

I have no experience with those. Food for thought thought, I have a warehouse forklift. The smooth non-marking tires are useless outside if they get a bit wet. It is also a rigid chassis, whereas the outdoor forklifts I've used have a swinging steer axle to allow compliance on uneven ground.

I've seen the powered pallets trucks in both situations you have. I mention this only to consider they might be configured differently, one type for outdoors, one type only for indoors. Something to ask about anyway.

It's good the loads will be small. The expanded metal will dent in, and may 'high center' you at the top transition -- kinda the worst place to find out. Do some math on this.

Weight will be more concentrated dimensionally, and have smaller footprint, but lighter is good.

Grade stats should be published -- not sure why they're hiding.

What are the chances of being able to drive one of those powered pallet trucks up a ramp like this one?

Just go rent one. Gradually load with sandbags toward your 1,000 lb goal until it either disappoints.

Or pleases.

Cheap in general. Much cheaper than buying one and finding out later.

Your challenge, "if you choose to accept it" is waaaaay higher equivalent single-wheel loading of the small diameter rollers than an SUV or proper forklift truck imposes.

Wood construction really needs a good inspection, personally wouldn't feel comfortable in an environment like that. Doesn't mean it isn't good enough, just that it degrades quickly and the build design needs to be sound from the get go for that type of service.
We had Yales and used those on a poured concrete ramp at the outside loading dock all the time, not real reliable in rainy weather though as others have mentioned. I would think any of those powered walk behind lift trucks should be able to handle that grade with a charged battery and one can always go up in reverse with the load behind. That's something I'd recommend anyway just in case the ramp fails but also because the forks will tilt down to compensate keeping the load level. With a longer wheel base dragging bottom at the ramp transition may be an issue and needs to checked before a long term deal is struck.
Dan

Guys I think I may have found a perfect solution; an electric cart or hand truck.
They have big wheels and can go up substantial grades (3:1).
They're relatively small, relatively cheap, and capable of carrying almost anything I can think I might want to run up the ramp.
They can't do a thousand pounds but that was probably an overkill kind of specification anyway.
Here's a link to a typical vendor:
Indoor Electric Utility Carts

So thanks all for your input; sorry to have wasted your time!

Cheers

Marcus

If you can find a rental place with one, why not just ASK THEN. They should know what it can do.

Just go rent one. Gradually load with sandbags toward your 1,000 lb goal until it either disappoints.

Or pleases.

Cheap in general. Much cheaper than buying one and finding out later.

Your challenge, "if you choose to accept it" is waaaaay higher equivalent single-wheel loading of the small diameter rollers than an SUV or proper forklift truck imposes.

The motor is plenty strong enough It all depends on the friction between rampsurface and wheel
Softer wheel will give you more friction
Also softer ramp surface does
How about rain snow frost

Peter

I don't know about the exact slope to electric pallet jack (typically 6K capacity) power to move 1,000 lbs up that slope, but the one thing I can say is a modern AC drive pallet jack with regenerative braking would be infinitely more desirable. The older DC drive style electric pallet jacks brake only when you lift the handle all the way, which would be too sudden a stop if you began to backslide when going up the ramp.

I have AC drive Jungheinrich electrical pallet jacks and they are night and day superior to the DC drive type for this sort of thing....going down a ramp for example I just left off the throttle and it stops, whereas with the DC drive I would have to jog reverse to slow it down...which is a bit tricky.

Having said all that, even with a DC drive type, if you started to backslide all you have to do it hit the "down" button if the item is strapped to an actual pallet or skid and the friction from the wood on the ramp should stop it. Still, the AC drive type with regen braking are so much nicer.

Hi All:
I'm looking at moving into a new shop space that's a lot closer to home.
I found one that's almost perfect but for one thing:
Access to the shop is up a 30 foot long ramp that's 8 feet wide and slopes upward at 9 degrees.

I've never driven one and can find no stats anywhere on what kind of slope they can negotiate.
I see them used in level-floored warehouses, but I've also seen some on the streets being used to deliver pallets of supplies to restaurants up temporary ramps from the road to the sidewalk.
Do any of you think pallets trucks that can do such a steep ramp with such a harsh surface exist?
Anyone care to name a brand?
Any available that can tilt to help keep the load level?

My max load would be under 1000 lb

Cheers

Marcus

many a time going up ramp truck will slow stop and roll back down ramp usually difficult to control. sometimes running start helps but it can be dangerous. brakes on many trucks not worth much.

many a time going up ramp truck will slow stop and roll back down ramp usually difficult to control. sometimes running start helps but it can be dangerous. brakes on many trucks not worth much.
That's the sort of thing where a modern AC drive electric pallet jack shines...regen braking stops the jack as soon as you ease off the throttle. But if near the limits of the jack capacity the load must be secured on a pallet (should be anyway really) so you can instantly lower the pallet, which will stop the backsliding.

Back