What's new
What's new

Caster size for gantry crane

Jeff Scott

Plastic
Hi guys,

I've just acquired a Vestil 1 ton gantry crane. It came without casters, but is drilled and tapped on the bottom of the feet for them. Normally, this crane uses 8 inch diameter casters, but I'd like to put 4 inch steel casters on it in order for the crane to be able to roll under my shop door when it's open. 8 inch casters will make it too high.

My question is, can one use a smaller, properly rated caster for moving the crane around the shop? I know the 8 inch casters will make it easier to roll, but am I missing any safety concerns using 4 inch models?

Thanks!

Jeff

20190217_102939.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I've just acquired a Vestil 1 ton gantry crane. It came without casters, but is drilled and tapped on the bottom of the feet for them. Normally, this crane uses 8 inch diameter casters, but I'd like to put 4 inch steel casters on it in order for the crane to be able to roll under my shop door when it's open. 8 inch casters will make it too high.

My question is, can one use a smaller, properly rated caster for moving the crane around the shop? I know the 8 inch casters will make it easier to roll, but am I missing any safety concerns using 4 inch models?

Thanks!

Jeff

View attachment 250007

I don't think the diameter makes any difference other than rolling resistance?
I have seen some with larger pneumatic tires for outdoor use......just make sure when your looking for the casters that they are able to handle the load on three wheels!

Kevin

I don't think the diameter makes any difference other than rolling resistance?
I have seen some with larger pneumatic tires for outdoor use......just make sure when your looking for the casters that they are able to handle the load on three wheels!

Kevin

Actually, your worst case scenario load is two wheels.

The trolley is at one end with rated max load and the load swings out to the tipping point. This is not a likely scenario but the casters must support this load without failure.

Smaller diameter, properly load-rated casters will work OK. Smaller casters will be harder to roll over any cracks or debris. Steel casters will be harder on your floor, but also easier to start rolling than soft-urethane-over-steel casters. I would expect steel and very hard urethane or phenolic casters to start rolling about the same, but the bigger ones will be easier.

So, convenience goes to the larger casters, but the smaller casters will work. They certainly won't affect the operation or loading of the crane itself.

Thanks for the input all. I found today that I actually have room under my door for 5 inch casters, so I'm shopping some heavy duty ones in that size.

Back