What's new
What's new

CAT RC60 Towable will not move,????

Richard/SIA

Cast Iron
Looking like my CAT ownership may be short lived.
I despise companies that hold your equipment hostage for $$$upport.

Made a trade last week, my running 60's vintage Clark 60 and an older Buick for a CAT CR60 that "Ran when parked", has flat tires until I get the new ones fitted in a couple of days but engine runs and mast works.

Cannot get it to move under its own power, REALLY frustrated that even the most basic information seems to be a state secret!
Have not been able to locate an active discussion forum specific to CAT. PIN# 2PJ00378, but cannot even find the year of manufacture.

So I will try the experts here.
Perkins diesel engine runs great, mast moves, steering works.
Cannot get anything from the drive axle. Yes the driveshaft turns both directions but no wheel rotation at all.

This is a Towable version RC60.
There are two Mode switches at the operators left elbow when seated.
One is a simple two-position lever, the other is a keyed switch.
The keyed switch was left at the Tow position when the key was lost. I have a replacement key coming.
I am unsure if the keyed switch puts the drive axle into Tow (Neutral?) mode, or just has some effect on steering, maybe brakes?
Until I get new tires on access under the CAT is limited.
But I do know that there is a three prong plug dangling near drive axle, Red/Black/Yellow wires.
When I was under there I did not see any receptacle for it within reach of the wiring.

I have to get this CAT running in order to complete assembling my new shop building and installing equipment.
Once that is done I think I will look for another old Clark, something where information is not a secret or hundreds of dollars to obtain.

Trying to be Retired but have to complete the shop so that I may get myself and machines out of the weather.

For what it might be worth -------
Saw ( Google ) that ww--trackloaderparts --com has listed free PDF manuals , operator , service , etc.
Seems one needs to cycle thru the buy - checkout thing ,but said they are no cost . May require a Name + address but I didn't get that far.
If this helps then you owe us-ens lots of photos of the new shop .

Gave in and ordered an operators manual from CAT, $50.00
Trackloader-com does not seem to have anything for my unit.
I did finally learn the original sale date, 05/1990
Very slight headway is still better than none.

Yu say it "will not move"...are brakes locked on,does it move under tow,and just have no drive.....If no drive ,then I d be looking in the parts book to see where the drive connects ...maybe in the hubs ...and lock it up .......However ,hydrostatic transmissions must not be moved with a stopped engine,so you would likely need the engine running and the controll in drive to winch it onto the moving truck

Driveshaft rotates forward and back but the drive axle is not transmitting power to the wheels.
Mode key was to arrive today but of course it did not.
Ditto the steering end tires.
There is a Servo/motor at the back of the drive axle. So far I only see one attached wire.
There is a plug with three wires dangling near it.

Engine runs but there will be no moving truck unless I can get it to flat-Tow with my flat-bed Chevy.
Have an operators manual on the way but I would prefer not to have to wait another week to get it home.
Currently about a mile away.

Got new steering end tires on and the key for the Tow/Drive switch.
But of course the battery was now dead.
So battery is charging and there is now enough room to crawl under to back-track the mystery wires.
Hope to see progress in the morning.
Still no luck with the 'Net as all the links seem to be for the newer ASV60 tracked version.

Now have three of four tires replaced so that it rolls.
Towed it home with my one-ton flatbed, slowly.
Now much more convenient to chase wires and switches now.
Still crawling about in the dirt.
Hoping the book I ordered will arrive fairly quickly.

Solved at last!
Once I got it home I was able to scrape away enough old dirt and grease to locate the hidden connection socket.
Right rear of the box shaped section, on top.
Of course this was full of crud, cleaned it out and put the plug in, now moves fine.
So I have some normal service to do, replace at least one hydraulic line to the side-shift, put on the final tire, and it's a driver.
Pretty relieved as I had feared a broken drive axle or other major failure.

The sort of sad part of this deal is that I doubt I will be keeping it.
Now that it will be fully functional again once I've replaced a hydraulic hose it is really just too large and too valuable for me to keep it.
I am putting up a couple of fabric shop buildings and really need the CAT to erect them.
But once that is done I have no need for such a large and powerful machine.
So I expect to sell it for a tidy profit and buy another old inexpensive small Clark or Yale.
CAT has annoyed me a LOT with making even the most basic information a deep dark $ecret, you must pay even for safety data!

I got my first "modern" era CAT machine last summer. A 2013 257B3 compact track loader. Operators manual was available online. But parts manual was $150 and the service manual is $700. Crazy. I had the local CAT franchise give me the service invoices for the machine since it was new. Previous owner at spent over $70k on service on it. (to be fair, they did drop the machine in a lake and got to buy a new engine) CAT is pretty proud of their information.

I do love Genie machines. Full operators, maintenance, service, and parts manuals available online for free. And in a lot of cases they make the proprietary component (engine, transmission) service manuals available for free as well.

Hope you are in southern Nv, a couple people up my way had some of those type buildings, they lasted a few years, heavy snow with no wind collapsed them both a couple winters ago.

In Yerington heavy snow is rare and the wind comes up every afternoon.
Guaranteed for twenty years, too bad I am not.

It is fortunate that the person I got this machine from did not have the key for the mode switch or they would have done damage trying to move it.
I still have a few minor repairs/service to do but it is now functional.

IMG_0545.jpg

Back