What's new
What's new

Cat V60B Forklift Hydraulic Fluid

J-Head

Hot Rolled
Does anyone here have a service manual or know for sure what the spec is for the hydraulic fluid and transmission fluid on a Cat V60B forklift?

On the left side of the machine there is a tank with two identical chrome filler caps with dipsticks. I assume the tank is partitioned into separate reservoirs, one for the hydraulic system and one for the transmission.

Anyone know which one is which?

While I don’t know for sure about your particular model, every Cat forklift I’ve been around, and it has been a bunch, all take Cat spec TO-2. I think the current spec is TO-4. We use Shell Spirax 10w in both the trans and hyd of our Cat lifts, which meets the Cat TO-4 spec.

Thanks for the info

The V60B that I have has a hydrostatic transmission. Did the forklifts that you have experience with have hydrostatic transmissions or automotive style automatic transmissions?

Manufacturers will always send you a copy of an operators book for a machine.........this has been established as a legal requirement,legal in the sense of liability claims........so ,I suggest you email Caterpillar and request such a copy..........dont expect a maintenance manual.....just a basic instruction with hundreds of warning /danger /risk areas called out.

Ok, I finally broke down and bought a CAT operator’s manual. The transmission filler is toward the front of the machine and the hydraulic filler is toward the rear. The hydraulic fluid is supposed to be SAE 10 weight and the transmission fluid is type F ATF.

Hello J head
I am curious about your forklift, we have a Cat V60B also ,don't see many around, do you have the Continental 6 Cylinder engine in yours ? Ours is gas. Mike

Hi romie24

My machine has a 4 cylinder Perkins diesel which seems to run pretty well. The hour meter stopped at about 6,000 hours. The engine still starts easily without ether when it’s cold outside even though the pre-heater doesn’t work.

It has a standard 2 stage mast with no free lift and class III forks. The only real drawback for me is the mast is 96 inches and my shop door is 94.5 inches.

It currently has Watts brand solid cushion tires installed which are all bald and need to be replaced.

I bought this forklift because I needed the additional lift capacity to unload some machines and place them in my shop.

Since I got it I have found it to be pretty handy to have around.

Ya we had to rebuild the engine on ours , needs tires , but still runs pretty good. Could use some carb/choke work, what I like bout ours is its narrow enough to get around in this shop. It has a full cab that sometimes is a joy if your outside but can be a PIA inside. I need to find a manual for ours, but after taking the engine out and going through that there's probably not much else to use the manual for . I could be wrong and probably am.

Let me know if you need to know anything in particular.

I really only bought the owners manual to determine what fluids to use in the hydraulic system and transmission (mostly the transmission).

The rest of the info in the owners manual is pretty trivial. Unfortunately, there isn’t much free information available online for these machines.

I have a parts book also.

I need to rebuild the mast tilt cylinders soon.

I know you are saying the mast tilt cylinder's, but Dad had the mast cylinder itself rebuilt while I was gone, the guy he had here taking it out says it was a bitch, but knowing him he probably had a wrench in one hand and a beer in the other. Then again maybe that made it less of a bitch. Yes if you have a parts manual I would like to get some parts numbers from you especially the steering arm. I know we have an issue up in there but I will have to go and take a look. I need to look into the brakes also and see what issues I have in there. Brakes arnt very good. Thanks for the offer I will get back to you.

I also have a v60b but mine has a clutch any chance you could send me a picture of the fluid specs or could you tell me what fluid the manual transmission takes?

Back