Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple of coats of paint will go on this baby this weekend or next. And I am ordering a new seat and she will also need rear tires. October 31, 216 - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What other manufacturers made towable forklifts?
    Paul

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I finally got around painting little Clark. I went with Caterpillar Yellow from TSC and added hardener. It has some runs as the temperature was 51 degrees when we painted it :-). It turned out quite well and you really need sunglasses when driving this thing around noon. I still need to figure this parking brake cable thing. Can anyone post picture of their cable setup and the length? Someone on ebay can order from Italy (I believe) for $198, my response was NO.

Oh, also where can I get the decals for the Forward/Reverse, Lift and Gears (Right side of the truck)?

Thanksimg_2198.jpgimg_2202.jpgimg_2204.jpg

4. Likes kb0thn, Philabuster liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looking great! Sorry, I didn't catch the post where you asked me about cable routing. I'm a long, long distance from mine this weekend, so I can't look at it, or take pictures, but I suspect mine doesn't even have a parking-brake cable... it was fitted with a mico-lock at some point in time, and since the hydraulic brakes on mine are so lousy, I don't have stop as a function at all... at least... not by choice. My IT60 likes to lock up one wheel tight, for no reason, with no warning. I've never been certain wether it was a brake, or something in the axle, but the previous owner had problems with the axle's diff carrier, bearings, and axleshaft on one side.

But that's not part of your question. On mine, I know that the park brake handle on my IT60 is SUPPOSED to connect to an external drum brake connected to the transmission output shaft... I believe the cable goes straight down through the floor, then makes 2 90 degree sweeps to a cable stop on the brake assembly, and that's it.

As for a cable replacement, I would suggest looking for anything close but longer, cutting the housing to length, and then finding a way to put ends on to match the existing handle and brake actuator.

your IT-40 is substantially shorter wheelbase and hood length than my IT-60... I suspect it may have some other differences, but just for comparison, my IT-60 has a Chrysler INDUSTRIAL 225 slant six (most parts NOT interchangable with truck or automotive applications). The transmission consists of a torque converter connected to a Clark F-N-R box (controlled by the F-N-R lever on left side of console). Torque converter can be somewhat 'modulated' by use of the 'inching' pedal, which is a small round pedal under left foot. From FNR box, power goes into a CLARK 4-speed (no reverse) gearbox, then past the parking brake drum to a driveshaft to a CLARK truck axle, which is about four times the size of a common 1-ton truck axle. The axle has automotive-like hydraulic brakes, but it's not a common size assembly. The setup is sensible considering what Clark had for parts-on-hand, but the reasoning for a 4-speed transmission is beyond me... in first gear, mine will go 15mph... nobody in their right mind would ever use 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. This, and the funky axle problem, is the reason why my IT-60 is getting converted to a semi-truck drive axle and a Chevy inline six driving a hydrostatic transaxle from a combine.

Other characteristics:
    My IT-60's hydraulic pump is driven off the back side (harmonic balancer) end of the engine. A flexible coupler (similar to a MerCruiser Alpha) is bolted to the balancer with three 3/8 fine-thread bolts. The coupler has a rubber sleeve, lined with a splined socket. The main hydraulic pump is a vane-type variable-displacement unit, mounted to the machine chassis on a steel bracket with rubber bushings. Since the engine is soft-mounted to the chassis and the pump is not mounted to the engine, the coupler shaft, splines, core, and bracket mounting bushings take quite a beating when the engine is working. The IT-60's of my vintage ate up hydraulic pumps like halloween candy.

The hydraulic pump, being variable vane-type, was clever in some ways, bad in others- it did not require a pressure relief valve, and when the engine was being cold-started, the retracted vanes imposed very little static drag on the engine starter. Bad part, is that you had to rev up the engine to get fluid flow at ANY speed, and it was absolute hell getting oil to flow when the machine was cold. The steering and mast valves are closed-center... no flow when not being operated, hence no flow in the system unless you're working it. As a result, it didn't warm the oil quickly... and it was really hard on the pump coupler to try to warm it up. Park it inside, start it an hour early... and hope the pump survives. (this is why I'm converting mine to open-center with fixed-displacement pump).

My mast cylinder will not be as easy to remove or rebuild- it's a 5-section collapsible cylinder on a 4-section mast, so it's got six sets of seals... and I have to remove the mast, lay it down, and lift the cylinder out with another forklift to give it a rebuild. I'd rather have a 15' lift height and half the mast weight, and the ability to duck underneath a lower door. I haven't figured out the solution yet, but I have had too many other irons in the fire to worry about it.

Paint looks excellent. As for decals... you'll probably hafta draw 'em up and have a local sign company print them onto adhesive... or if you look around, you may be able to find a company with a laser to etch them into stainless steel, and cut them out for you... that would last much, much longer...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can I get the lift cylinder seal kit info from you. The local Clark dealer gave me the wrong kit. A part number would be great

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba1 View Post
    Thanks. The brakes works GREAT. The cylinder install went smooth, thanks to my JD310B and a set of forklift to get lift the cylinder high enough to put it in place. If you like, I can get in touch with my friend, I believe he said the rebuild kit on the cylinder was something like $70. Alternatively, take the seals to your local hydraulic place and they can match it for you. $1600 for a seal kit is just ridiculous IMHO. Can you do me a favor... and send me pics of how your park brake cable runs, and how long it is? Mine was missing and I want this machine back to it's original stage.

I hope to post osme pics tomorrow. But now she idles, runs and stops. And although I have a leakdown on the pressure on the tilt cylinder (they are not leaking and were not rebuilt), the mast cylinder holds pressure for 0ver 24 hours... and counting.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any chance you have any info on the lift cylinder seal kit. My local dealer can’t seem to find the right one. Any help would be great. Thanks

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember being surprised at forklifts being towed on the freeway at 70mph when I visited California in 1970..........but Im really surprised to see its still legal near 50 years later.Are the forklifts braked along with the truck brakes?.....Seems like a fair lump to stop from speed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Asouza1 View Post
    Any chance you have any info on the lift cylinder seal kit. My local dealer can’t seem to find the right one. Any help would be great. Thanks
    Hi Asouza-

I haven't had the book out on mine in quite a while, it's still waiting for TLC, and probably won't get it anytime soon. FWIW, there were MANY different lift cylinders- it's not 'just one' kit. My mast is a high-lift, and the cylinder is a 5-section collapsable unit... one ram goes downward, the rest go up. IIRC there's over 30 O-rings in it. If yours needs rebuilding, I certainly hope it's not like mine. IF/When I get around to working on mine, the cylinder will probably get removed, and some other arrangement, and probably less lift, will be incorporated.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    I remember being surprised at forklifts being towed on the freeway at 70mph when I visited California in 1970..........but Im really surprised to see its still legal near 50 years later.Are the forklifts braked along with the truck brakes?.....Seems like a fair lump to stop from speed.
    A fair lump... is a substantial understatement. Mine weighed in at around 17,000lbs... The tow bar had a secondary master cylinder on a surge spring linkage... When you applied brakes on the tow vehicle, forward inertia against the towbar would apply the master cylinder, slowing the forklift down.

towable is a cool feature, however, it meant that the steering must have 'trail' in order to track nicely and not wobble. The downside of trail, is that when you're operating, the turning radius is restricted. The other issue, is that the steering system MUST allow free motion of the steer axle when not steering, and this, in combination with a variable displacement vane-type pump, made it pretty unresponsive to steer at anything other than substantial throttle. My ultimate plan for mine, is to nix the vane in lieu of a gear pump, run the engine at constant speed into a big hydrostatic pump, and dump the steer and drive axles for more substantial road tractor axle (20k capacity), and a zero-caster steer axle fitted with planetary reducers and big hydraulic motors, then mounting the counterweight on rails that'll allow it to be hydraulically extended out about 4 feet, both for ease of service, and also, to provide more counterweight reaction when I'm dealing with a particularly long-reach lift. If I shorten the mast and lose that obnoxious cylinder, I'd have a whole lot more jib capacity... and it'd be more useful where I don't have 16 feet of overhead clearance... alas, a project I won't have time for for a while...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately sounds like mine is the exact same as yours. High mast 5 stage and cylinders goes both ways. We have it all disassembled (that was a chore) and just need a seal kit to put it all back together. Tried to order one from the local forklift dealer based on the serial number and what we got was not even close. Serial # it IT581-54-4250. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its possible the hi lift is a special mast,like a Cascade or something similar.Anyway ,Ive often recut seal grooves in forklift hydraulics to use standard seals .........did a indoor Crown electric recently ,just widend the seal grooves to save $500 in parts costs......sometimes they even use special size O rings ......but Ive always found Hysters good,they never try to ripoff owners on weird parts.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello, new guy here. Figured its about time I joined after lurking for 7 years. I used to run a Baker York UT50 towable forklift when I worked at a lumber yard in 1995. We actually towed it behind the Chevy C70 with a 366 gasser in it. The truck was a dog with the forklift behind it. I believe it had some sort of modified air brakes on the forklift for stopping but I'm not sure. Back to topic, I actually own a Clark IT60N forklift. It was ordered with the towable "package". Came with tow bar, which had the surge brakes on it. Also shaft mounted forks that could be flipped up to brackets that are on the mast to secure them while towing. It had extra brake and marker lights on the front fenders so when towing it had lights and turn signals. Mine came with a slant six which I just rebuilt, forward / reverser and a 4 speed Borg Warner T18-19. I've never towed it faster than 10mph but I've driven it through town at 25mph with no problems. rebuilt my mast cylinder about 5 years ago and it wasn't fun. I have a 10 ft collapsed and 21ft extended mast. The mast cylinder is a 3 part telescopic and the mast should have numbers on it to help with getting the correct part. If I remember correctly too, the originals I took out were chevron seals and the new replacements were u cups with the white ring backer. I have a parts book but it might not cover your lift. Hopefully this helps.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Picture of my lift.

dsc04825r.jpgI cleaned it up and painted it a while ago to run around town and carry my welding skid. You can see the towabar with the surge brake, and the hooks on the mast for flipping the forks over.