What's new
What's new

Clark C500-50 lift cylinder rebuild

JRNICO

Plastic
Hello all,

I have a Clark C500-50, 4450# capacity with the telescoping lift cylinder. She is a good runner and is serving me well but has developed quite a leak from seal on the top cylinder. I ordered a overhaul kit from the Clark dealer, which will arrive later this week and have a few questions.

1. I have replaced seals on hydraulic cylinders before, but have never done a telescoping cylinder like this. I have quite an array of tools but will I be needing any special tools ?

2. It looks like I must disconnect the chain, take out the top snap ring, lift the mast, disconnect the lower main hydraulic hose, then raise the mast with a hoist to get the cylinder out. Is this the correct order of operations?

3. Does anyone have a service/overhaul manual for this lift? The serial # is 355-0221-5671FA

Thanks for any advice and/or tips/warning you can give me as I undertake this. My area is sparse on hydraulic repairmen and have had some crossed eyes when asking if they would like to service this for me, hence the want/need to do it myself.

Attachments

• Photo Mar 19, 12 21 20 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 19, 12 21 20 PM.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 8,799
  • Photo Mar 19, 12 21 25 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 19, 12 21 25 PM.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,639
If I remember correctly, you'll want to pull the forks and apron first, then use the cylinder and machine itself to lift the mast a bit. Secure the mast in its partially raised position VERY securely, pull the retainer pin or nut from the top of the cylinder and let it down. Now you're ready to disconnect the hoses and pull the cylinder out.

A telescoping cylinder rebuild usually involves several stout saw horses to support the tubes as they're disassembled and reassembled and some manpower to oink the heavy cylinder around. Have lots of rags or sorbent pads handy as this chore is pretty slippery. Good luck and take pictures.

Stuart

Hey Stuart,

Thanks for the advise. Is this the same Stuart from Eureka, Ca? I believe we met a few years ago, I am the younger guy who came and visited your shop. I have a new company building filtration systems for saltwater aquariums, we are at the old pulp mill on the peninsula. Come check it out sometime.

-John

John,

Yes..I'm the guilty party, and I do recall meeting you. I'll make it a point to swing by and check out your new operation..I've heard a little about it and it sounds pretty neat.

Stuart

one way to do it is take off the forks like someone said then raise it high enough that the traveling stage lifts about a foot then stick a block of wood between the traveling stage and the main make sure its secure . lower everything back down then pop your clip ring and finish allowing the cylinder to retract then unbolt the bottom of the cylinder and lift it out. your milage may vary thats how I pulled the main cylinder on mine that was a middle mount like that.

If you aren’t under the gun on time this is a good chance to inspect/ replace mast and carriage rollers or wearpads too.

I prefer to leave the forks on the carriage and pull either the chain anchor bolts or pins, lift up using it’s own hydraulics enough to clear the carriage (still on the ground) and back away from it, leaving the whole works aside and out of your way. I didn’t see sideshoft in your pic but if you have it of course disconnect and cap those hoses.

The rest goes as usual, keep in mind you’ll want a helper with ropes on the loose ends of the chains lf you lift up very high, then chain off the inner rail to the outer to hold it up out of your way for the rest of the job.

Good luck!

Good Day
Having the same problem and Clark dealers cannot find the proper seal kit for our unit.
Could you advise if possible what part number your seal kit was?
Thank you

Well,OEM call it legacy spares ,only because they dont want to seem rude and call it worn out old S**t......which is what they think.......Your best bet is to dismantle the cylinder ,and take the parts round to your local hydraulic component supplier.....There you get seals for a few bucks that Clark want a hundred for......I might also add that only beginners try to dismantle and reassemble lift cylinders still in the mast......take out the whole thing,and do the job on your assembly bench.

Well,OEM call it legacy spares ,only because they dont want to seem rude and call it worn out old S**t......which is what they think.......Your best bet is to dismantle the cylinder ,and take the parts round to your local hydraulic component supplier.....There you get seals for a few bucks that Clark want a hundred for......I might also add that only beginners try to dismantle and reassemble lift cylinders still in the mast......take out the whole thing,and do the job on your assembly bench.

This is exactly what I did to my Hyster!

Hyster S80 XL Main Cylinder Leaking, Questions?

Kevin

Back