What's new
What's new

Clark cgp 55 rebuild main lift rams

Fabkid33

Plastic
Hi I have a welding and fabrication shop in north Phoenix and usually work on everything I own myself so im pretty decent mechanic but dont know much about forklifts I have worked on some hydraulics before and I understand how everything basically works my question is how do I get them off looks like the boom would have to be lifted and rams unbolted then pulled up through the top and any tips on rebuilding the rams or easier to have them rebuild and tips would be great pics enclosed

Last edited:
I’m not seeing the pics, but you mention cylinders (plural), so I assume your lift has the 2 extra cylinders at the back of the mast.

Usually you have to raise up the mast, and block it in a raised position, you can then remove the cylinders.

Taking apart and rebuilding is usually pretty straight forward. It is usually much cheaper to tear the cylinder down yourself, take the piston and end cap to a hydraulic shop, and just get them to match up the seals. Usually you just screw off the end cap to disassemble. Just be careful and look for a set screw on the outside of the barrel, some end caps are secured with a set screw. If you try to remove the end cap without loosening the set screw, you can damage the threads. No all cylinders have set screws. Also, be prepared for quite a bit of oil when you disassemble.

Often ,its easiest to remove the entire mast from the machine,and lay it flat on trestles......be very careful with forklift masts ,there will lots of "pinch points" and very heavy moving stuff involved.......can be tricky unless laid flat so gravity isnt fighting you......You often find stuff like battered ,seized ,and sheared bolts in masts ,sometimes very difficult to remove ,and maybe needing to drilled out .......The cylinders are the easy part,although new seals may need to be OEM and quite costly.......try an aftermarket supplier like TVH.

Back