What's new
What's new

Clark clipper forklift question

upfberg

Plastic
Hello all this is my firs post. I work construction for a living and have a personal weld and machine shop. I inquired a Clark clipper forklift. The data plate says it has a 2k pound lift capacity. Has a single tilt cylinder. Has a continental flathead motor. The tag on the motor says Y400 something. I am wanting to change the oil and cannot find the filter. I'm still looking but was hoping someone could give me a place to look. Thanks Brian

I believe that's a Continental N62...

I believe that engine would be a Continental N62... other engines in the same class would be the Hercules ZXB, which has distributor on the side, and oval lifter cover access panels. about 60 cubic inches, around 9 rompin'-stompin' horsepower at leisurely crankshaft speeds... and it pre-dates modern screw-in filters. Look for smallish metal oil lines (steel or copper) going from the engine to a round 'tank' looking thing with a removable lid... there'll be one large bolt head on top... back that bolt off, and you'll see a filter sitting inside. IF the return line isn't somewhat plugged, it should be a fairly clean lift-out of the filter element, and if you're gentle, you could rinse it with a little mineral spirits to clean out any gunk and put it back in. NAPA guys can usually find a match, as there's LOTS of engines that used this type- I've got probably 10 machines that use 'em, and I think two filter sizes cover most everything I've got...

I believe that engine would be a Continental N62... other engines in the same class would be the Hercules ZXB, which has distributor on the side, and oval lifter cover access panels. about 60 cubic inches, around 9 rompin'-stompin' horsepower at leisurely crankshaft speeds... and it pre-dates modern screw-in filters. Look for smallish metal oil lines (steel or copper) going from the engine to a round 'tank' looking thing with a removable lid... there'll be one large bolt head on top... back that bolt off, and you'll see a filter sitting inside. IF the return line isn't somewhat plugged, it should be a fairly clean lift-out of the filter element, and if you're gentle, you could rinse it with a little mineral spirits to clean out any gunk and put it back in. NAPA guys can usually find a match, as there's LOTS of engines that used this type- I've got probably 10 machines that use 'em, and I think two filter sizes cover most everything I've got...

With my days at Clark- since it only has a single tilt cylinder it should be a truck in the late 40's that either had a Y91 or a Y112 Continental and may have been old enough that it didn't have a filter or someone removed the can type unit that had oil lines running to it from the block? they later used 2 tilt cylinders and I think it was then that they uprated it from a 15" LC to a 24" LC.AGAIN THAT IS 60 TO 65 YEARS AGO AND THINGS ARE GETTINGF FUZZY IN THE MEMORY DEP't.? The Tr (Trucloader) 1000# machine used the Cont.N62

Yep if it has a "Y 400 casting # on it it will be a Y-91 or Y-112. If it has a oil filter it will be a bypass type.You find one take the ellement out and flop it on the counter of a real parts store like NAPA . And the counter body has a clue he/she can do a little measuring and find a replacement.

Back