What's new
What's new

Clark Forklift Resurrection Help!

55razor

Plastic
Hi all,
I'm trying to help my uncle with an old Clark lift truck that he has.
Per the serial number plate, it is a Model C25P, with a Continental Y112 engine. It is currently set up for propane, and has run in the past. He wants to start using it again, and wants to change it to run on gasoline, as it will only be run outside to move firewood and such, and he already has gasoline around for his other equipment.So, obviously the carburetor will have to be changed. In my research it looks like the gas version of these had a Zenith 68-8 carburetor??? But, there is also Zenith 12522, and others, listed for a Continental Y112 engine. And then, NUMEROUS Marvel-Schebler carbs in the cross references. So, I was hoping maybe someone here would know exactly what gasoline carburetor was originally on the lift truck. Maybe you have this model truck, and could tell me what carburetor brand and model number you have??? Or????
Thanks in advance.

I converted mine from gas to propane about 6 months ago, although I have the Waukesha d115 motor.
I still have the carb but have no clue on the make and model.

Came off a clark c500-45 1970's era

Keep it on propane, less headaches, ran horrible with the gas coming from the factory tank. Caused the valves to stick and I had to rebuild the top end of the motor.

Max,
I'll let him know what you said about keeping it on propane, and see if that's a possible option for him. Thanks!

There is a good chance it will run on BBQ cylinders, my old cat lift ran on them for years and a buddy has a clark that is on BBQ cyls. He loves it since he has those on hand for his BBQ and RV anyway. That would make it a little easier to swap bottles if that is a concern.
I did have one cyl that would not flow enough though, it would not work well on BBQ either....

I'm pretty sure propane cylinders meant for forklift duty have a dip tube which delivers liquid to the vaporizer which then supplies gas vapor to the carburetor, whereas a BBQ cylinder has no dip tube and could only supply vapor.

At least I believe that's how it works. Maybe using the BBQ cylinder merely means the vaporizer is on vacation as the work's already done.:)

Stuart

I would also recommend he just keep it on propane. Ya he has to go get some propane, but that should be about all you have to do other that get it running. Get a spare tank for when the main one runs out. Then you don't have to worry about switching a carb, and all the crap involved.

I'm pretty sure propane cylinders meant for forklift duty have a dip tube which delivers liquid to the vaporizer which then supplies gas vapor to the carburetor, whereas a BBQ cylinder has no dip tube and could only supply vapor.

At least I believe that's how it works. Maybe using the BBQ cylinder merely means the vaporizer is on vacation as the work's already done.:)

Stuart

My "newer" lift, a datsun will not work on the bbq tank like the old cat would. Buddies clark is also old. Yes, the liquid propane is converted to gas at the reg, but probably like you thought the vaporizer is on a holiday if it already has vapor.
Point is the OP should try the BBQ bottle before getting involved in a "real" tank, that may need repair or has filling hassles.

Our scissor lift is dual fuel and setup for liquid.

Someone cut off the hose, put a BBQ hose on and it ran fine, spent the money for correct hoses and picked up a couple tanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I would first check the condition of the inside of the gas tank and see if it is rusty as many dealers did not put any oil in them to stop that condition?
If you list the ser.# I will be glad to check the age and then then you can use the carb. of most C20 -25 trucks of that vintage which are the cushion or solid tire models.

Im with everyone else recommending to stay on propane.

I bet the forklift is similar to my avatar as I also have the Y112 continental power. Although...after I re-read, if its going to be used outside its gotta be the pneumatic tired version. The cushion tire won't do well off the pavement.

bigais, if I'm correct the serial number is >>>> C25P 234-550 7-83. Any information you can provide will help, in any regard.
So, it looks like I really need to talk to him about keeping it on propane!
Thanks to all for the replies.

My Ser.# Book shows that machine to be a 1963 MOD. that 7-83 which is stamped by the dealer before delivery is probably to be 7-63 which would be July 1963. Any C20 or C25 Mod. with a lot #550 carb. will fit and probably any other unit with a Y112 in that general age range.

bigais,
Thanks much for the information!That will help a lot if he insists on going the gasoline route.
I'm new to this forklift stuff; I'm more of a tractor guy.....But, I'm seeing crossover information, because of the widespread use of Continental engines in so many different applications.... It's interesting! Thanks to all for their replies!

Any downdraft carb off a similar sized/manifold fitting carb will work .....as mentioned ,the gas tank will be nothing but trouble ,and the lift pump will also need repair/replacement .......my solution is to get a truck air brake tank of 5 to 10 gallon capacity ,with chassis mounts,and attach it to the overhead guard about half way up at the back ,or alternately attach it to the counterweight .....the cast iron drills and taps easily.This should gravity feed the carb OK.

I would have thought that engine would have an updraft carburetor on it! They're a little more specific than a generic downdraft.

Stuart

Modern gasoline will go bad and separate with water at the bottom if it sits for too long. Too long would be a month or less. I would stay with propane which does not go bad sitting. Now every time I fill my lawnmower I decant the gas into a glass pitcher and let the water settle out before pouring the gas into the tank and the water /gas at the bottom onto some weeds.
If he goes to gasoline add a water filter and drain the tank completely once per year. Before each use drain some gas until it runs clear. like air craft owners do.
Bil lD

Stuart

If you use a BBQ cylinder, just use it upside down. That will allow the use of liquid. I you just run it on vapor, you won't have much power, as the engine won't get the fuel it needs when under load.

I agree with keeping it propane. Propane doesn't go bad like gas, no plugged carburetor jets, and less spark plug problems. Propane engines are just much less troublesome. Now I understand if you just can't get propane in your location, but you'll be much happier leaving it propane.

New bbq cyls have a float valve in them that shuts off the flow if not upright. Old ones did not and you could get liquid out if flipped upside down.
I didn’t know that. I guess all of mine are old enough that will run upside down.

Back