What's new
What's new

Clark Utilitruc issues

Mr.Green

Cast Iron
For a while now my big old Clark, 1963, has been running a bit rough. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, didn't make much difference. Finally did a compression test, #1 is a bit low, #4 is basically just along for the ride.

I am going to venture a guess that the valves need adjusting. Too bad you have to pull the manifolds for that to happen.

May try some oil down the plug holes and hope its just a sticky valve.

If that doesn't work, probably time to refresh top end, head gasket, valves, etc.

Engine is a f209 continental, seems the same as a f226, etc

Where can I find gaskets for these?

Maybe my local NAPA?

e723b63613d882cc7df56d782bad4df8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Common problem with the Continentals was burnt exhaust valves ,and the adjacent head gasket would also be burnt ,generally betwwen 3 and 4........I used to look after a whole fleet of Hysters with the 6s,and I can thoroughly recommend silastic on the head gasket as a sure fire cure for many of the problems.

Common problem with the Continentals was burnt exhaust valves ,and the adjacent head gasket would also be burnt ,generally betwwen 3 and 4........I used to look after a whole fleet of Hysters with the 6s,and I can thoroughly recommend silastic on the head gasket as a sure fire cure for many of the problems.
Its #4 that has hardly any compression. Visually, it looks like that exhaust valve is hanging up and won't seat. Need to push some air into that cylinder and see if its leaking out the exhaust. #3 cylinder has about 120psi. Engine does not use any coolant, hoping that's a good sign of a good head gasket.

Top end gasket set ordered. Probably take it apart this weekend after i load and delivery some stuff this week. Both large lifts are currently down at the moment.

Broken valve spring on #4 exhaust
Looks like its been rebuilt at least once, pistons are stamped 060 on them.
b7566468f22e20984db07371004f5dd6.jpg
e14494713ba7dd6b0184ed28361324b6.jpg
1b20d9561ee95a0038d3669ee2fa7a67.jpg

I bet its super fun getting the keepers in with the engine in place.

Woof.

Ken Tool -KD etc made some special tools for keeper installation. Also that series engine could have 3 different styles of keepers[retainers] /standard,free valve or positive rotation all with different style keeper systems.

That sucked, but spring is replaced. Now to clean everything up, adjust all the valves, put it back together and change the fluids.
16ccb9e3df92bec8e92fd9aaf9b738a6.jpg

As I recall from my younger days, we would compress the spring and retainer, smear grease on the keepers and 'stick' them to the valve stem, then slowly release the compressor, wiggling it as you do to help guide the retainer over the keepers. It really isn't that hard. Be sure to hold your mouth right or it won't work.

Stuart

As I recall from my younger days, we would compress the spring and retainer, smear grease on the keepers and 'stick' them to the valve stem, then slowly release the compressor, wiggling it as you do to help guide the retainer over the keepers. It really isn't that hard. Be sure to hold your mouth right or it won't work.

Stuart
I made a clamp out of unistrut and two pieces of all thread.

I used grease as well to get them to stick in place.

And its alive. Re- torqued head bolts twice after running, need to adjust the timing a little bit.

Time to patch the big hyster back together until I get the gears for it.

Back