What's new
What's new

Clark utilitruc power steering cylinder

Mr.Green

Cast Iron
The PS cylinder on my 1963 hut100 clark is pissing fluid out the ram end.

According to the build sheet I got from clark it says PS cylinder is a 325490.

It is a welded unit, looks like it has been replaced at some point (its painted white).

From what limited info I can find, it looks like they need cut open to repair, I think I found a replacement, but they are 700 bucks.

I have been running PS fluid in the pump for it, but maybe ATF or a heavier hydraulic fluid may keep it from leaking so much?

I am sure I could find a place to repair it, maybe.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Replace it with a standard cylinder of similar size
Not sure that is possible.

It's not quite a typical cylinder, by the time I tried to modify an off the shelf one, I would have way too much time in it.

It looks pretty close to this:

9584b2fcaa5264eabdbae6fad919af7e.jpg

Is that the "steering box" built into the cylinder end? Does the cylinder body screw into the box?
The first picture shows the end that hooks to the drag link for the steering, which looks like a typical tie rod end that threads on and clamps. There are 4 bolts right there by where the steering arm attaches to it. You turn wheel, pitman arm travels to pull that arm forward or backwards. The PS cylinder has it's own pump and two lines that run to cylinder.

I would guess that is technically a steering box.

It's an odd set up.

I am planning on pulling it out tomorrow. Figure I will use every swear word I know before it's out.

5 hours later, sacrificed exhaust, completely covered in grease and grime it's out.

It won't let me upload picture of end of ram, but there is a snap ring that must hold that seal in. I will take it to my favorite hydraulic shop tomorrow and see if they think I should completely rebuild it.
6994dca3e4e50cefaddb45ea49a9e0fd.jpg
ce28cfb4db5b5bf4a60d25263d0ce747.jpg
9e9565f1e5c14d917d207a54ab12e345.jpg

Am I missing something, or does this cylinder function solely from the back end? If so, that indicates to me that there'a an internal passage for retract. That's usually done by an inside tube for the piston and the outside tube for fluid for in and out.

Here's an old post that may apply. The link in that post no longer works.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...fix-280727/?highlight=ford+901+power+steering
Yes, I believe you are correct.

That vickers steering cylinder/valve is not hard to rebuild. The cylinder separates and can be machined apart at the weld closer to the valve assy. Be careful to save the two square seals between the cyl/valve section. The valve is just normal orings but are fussy when it comes to adjusting the spring. The cylinder has generic an style wiper and a TP style rod seal, some have a single case iron piston seal (reuse it) or a 2-piece Teflon piston seal.

Edit: correction TR rod seal

That vickers steering cylinder/valve is not hard to rebuild. The cylinder separates and can be machined apart at the weld closer to the valve assy. Be careful to save the two square seals between the cyl/valve section. The valve is just normal orings but are fussy when it comes to adjusting the spring. The cylinder has generic an style wiper and a TP style rod seal, some have a single case iron piston seal (reuse it) or a 2-piece Teflon piston seal.

Edit: correction TR rod seal
It would probably be in my best interest to just have it rebuilt by my usual shop. They can fix, make, build anything hydraulic related. Great old shop.

Vickers, thank you.

No real help..just a war story.

I bought a old forklift with that same cylinder. The cylinder was DOA and steering was 'armstrong' only. I farked around and ended up rebuilding the cylinder and all was COOL, except the machine was in a constant left turn. After more farking and adjusting, things were resolved and the steering was perfect. Those units are quite sensitive to set correctly...and a forklift with a 3" ground clearance is a real bitch to work under!:cryin:

Stuart

I’ve done plenty of them. Figure out if the leaks are in the valve area or the cylinder, both don’t need to come apart. The valve adjustment is touchy so best not to mess with it if it doesn’t leak and it works ok.
The cylinder rod seals can be easily replaced without taking apart the whole unit, but most units need a new chrome plated hyd rod shaft fabricated because of worn chrome.
I have some NOS parts on some of these units if you get in a jam.

There are several different sizes of these p/s units and vickers used different strokes when building them.

I’ve done plenty of them. Figure out if the leaks are in the valve area or the cylinder, both don’t need to come apart. The valve adjustment is touchy so best not to mess with it if it doesn’t leak and it works ok.
The cylinder rod seals can be easily replaced without taking apart the whole unit, but most units need a new chrome plated hyd rod shaft fabricated because of worn chrome.
I have some NOS parts on some of these units if you get in a jam.

There are several different sizes of these p/s units and vickers used different strokes when building them.
The only leak I could actually see was from rod seal end. Everything was filthy under this thing, but a lot of that is from seeping hoses going to this and the PS fluid reservoir leaked like crazy. This cylinder has been rebuilt once, it has been painted white over the original clark green.

I may just try to replace seals and packing on rod end and give it a go.

No real help..just a war story.

I bought a old forklift with that same cylinder. The cylinder was DOA and steering was 'armstrong' only. I farked around and ended up rebuilding the cylinder and all was COOL, except the machine was in a constant left turn. After more farking and adjusting, things were resolved and the steering was perfect. Those units are quite sensitive to set correctly...and a forklift with a 3" ground clearance is a real bitch to work under!:cryin:

Stuart
I think there is about 6" under this one, I blocked under the mast and picked up the ass end with my other lift so I could block it.

About 13k pounds I believe.

Back