What's new
What's new

Clark Waukesha 155

Stewdog

Plastic
Does anyone have a diagram or picture of the routing of the oil lines that run to and out of the oil filter. I bought a forklift and to my disbelief, the previous owner removed the oil filter and bracket and I'm pretty sure they just connected the lines together.

Its just a bypass filter,so removal isnt a big deal.....The normal routing for a bypass is feed from the oil gallery via a 1/8npt tapping (sim oil pressure gauge line),and return to a tappet cover ,or any hole in the block that connects to the sump.......Usual reason for removal of a bypass is the elements are no longer available......They do keep the oil nice and clean ,tho....but are reputed to remove additives .

If it is a bypass filter then when it was removed the oil lines going to the filter should have be plugged off.Otherwise you are just leaking oil pressure back into the oil pan . Partial flow filters, filter about 20 percent of the oil as they only filter some of the oil and return it to the oil pan . If you are willing to change the oil on a regular basis you could run without a filter with no ill effect. Bill

Oh I see. Is it possible to add an oil filter adapter and filter onto this engine.

Seems so. Google it as such: oil filter kit Waukesha lift- truck motor"

Or wotever. They were built for other-maker house-branding too. Allis-Chalmers, Hollingsworth, possibly several others.

Easiest is probably a third-party upgrade kit.

Somebody else having done most of the work to see to it it can be applied, that much less to 'invent".

Not that it needs as much kinky-fuckery as rocket-insemination.

"Personally" I'd not bother. As already suggested, just change oil at reasonable intervals. Connecticut shouldn't be as challenging as a dusty, gritty, middle-eastern desert or abrasive laterite dry-season Vietnam.

The normal bypass element is just a perforated tin can stuffed with shredded rag......the element is changed when the oil starts to appear dirty......Normally ,there is a restrictor in the take off fitting in the oil gallery to limit flow to the elements......Once upon a time ,cars and trucks had nothing but bypass elements ,because owners couldnt be trusted to change oil and filters ,and a full flow filter blocking would affect the engine,a bypass blocking is hardly noticeable.......many moons ago ,I borrowed an uncles 47 Ford pickup which had never had detergent oil ,nor even an oilchange .....just topped up.......Anyhoo ,I used my employers detergent diesel oil in it ,and it started to smoke so bad ,I had to hone the bores and fit new rings to stop the smoke.

This is good to know, I have no issue with regular oil changes. When I split the engine from the transmission I lost a couple of quarts of atf. When re-mating the two do I just top off the transmission or do I need to add atf seperately into the bell housing.

Back