What's new
What's new

Come along ratings - 2 ton unit pulling 3T mill up a 2 degree grade slab?

JasonPAtkins

Hot Rolled
Hi all, could someone please confirm or dispel my paranoia? I've never used a power puller before. I am going to need to pull a 3 ton Tree J425 rolling on pipes up a 2 degree (8" rise over 32') ramp to get it into my shop. That same mill was pulled up an implement trailer's much more steep ramps with a (I'm sure much more powerful) electric winch, but here, the incline is so gradual, and since it'll be rolling on pipes, I can't imagine it would be a problem. However... I don't like pulling a 3 ton object with a device rated for only 2 tons. I *assume* it means 2 tons of pulling force, in other words the force that would be required to lift that mill straight up in the air, if it only weighed 2 tons. If that's the case, it certainly won't see anything close to that much force to pull the 3 ton mill up such a gradual ramp, and especially when rolling on pipe.

I'm pretty sure I'm right about this, but still want to double check because: 1) it's dumb to violate safety ratings you don't fully understand, and 2) 6000# rolling back down that ramp uncontrolled if something goes wrong sounds like a recipe for a really bad day.

(The puller in question is a Maasdam, not a fancifully rated Chinese piece of HF junk.)

If it's in good shape, with no damage to cable or frame, and anchored correctly on both ends, you'll be fine*.

*Don't sue me when it breaks free, rolls into the street, and crushes a bus full of orphans.

Hi all, could someone please confirm or dispel my paranoia? I've never used a power puller before. I am going to need to pull a 3 ton Tree J425 rolling on pipes up a 2 degree (8" rise over 32') ramp to get it into my shop. That same mill was pulled up an implement trailer's much more steep ramps with a (I'm sure much more powerful) electric winch, but here, the incline is so gradual, and since it'll be rolling on pipes, I can't imagine it would be a problem. However... I don't like pulling a 3 ton object with a device rated for only 2 tons. I *assume* it means 2 tons of pulling force, in other words the force that would be required to lift that mill straight up in the air, if it only weighed 2 tons. If that's the case, it certainly won't see anything close to that much force to pull the 3 ton mill up such a gradual ramp, and especially when rolling on pipe.

I'm pretty sure I'm right about this, but still want to double check because: 1) it's dumb to violate safety ratings you don't fully understand, and 2) 6000# rolling back down that ramp uncontrolled if something goes wrong sounds like a recipe for a really bad day.

(The puller in question is a Maasdam, not a fancifully rated Chinese piece of HF junk.)

Yeah, you'll be just fine. The unit won't see anywhere near its two ton capacity in this scenario. Just send it

I wouldn't be too surprised if you and two friends could push it up that flat of a grade.

Another option would be to push it with an ATV/pickup, or use a long prybar to inch it up. Just have blocking handy in case something goes wrong.

8 " rise over 32 ' run? You could use a pinch bar and a stop block.

Thanks, guys. I have a good pinch bar, but thought the come along would be a little less room for error, having a more positive lock to the ratchet vs. the possibility of the stop block or wedge somehow coming loose.

I think I'm in good shape. Thanks for confirming.

usually they give you "lifting capacity" and/or "pulling capacity". i would not pull 3 tons up a slope with a winch rated 2 tons for pulling.

It's going to take 120 lb. of force to pull the mill up that grade, at least to overcome the change in elevation. There will be additional force due to friction. At any rate, your 2-ton winch should have no problem.

If your device is rated at 3 tons, its means it can exert and withstand a 3 ton force, in any direction. Straight up and down, 3 tons is three tons. On an incline you can get a good approximation by dividing the rise by the run to get an approximation of the force reduction, assuming zero friction. e.g. 8" over 32" would be 25% - a 3/4 ton force would pull the mill up the incline. I know you said 8" over 32' in which case the force becomes little more than friction - about 2% or 120 lbs of force (again, zero friction). Friction will be something, but you've minimized it with rollers.

Keep the bus load of orphans out of the way and do your own DD for anything safety or lifting related....but I'd say a come along with a fraction of that 3 ton capability would be just fine.

I agree with everyone who says to just push it up the hill.
To make a simple safety to keep it from rolling downhill make some wood wedges that get tall enough to wedge it when it is up on your pipes. Tie some soft string to these and let the machine tow them on the way up. If it goes bad and the machine starts to roll down hill the wedges will be a few inches back and the machine will just wedge itself and stop.

If your device is rated at 3 tons, its means it can exert and withstand a 3 ton force, in any direction. Straight up and down, 3 tons is three tons. On an incline you can get a good approximation by dividing the rise by the run to get an approximation of the force reduction, assuming zero friction. e.g. 8" over 32" would be 25% - a 3/4 ton force would pull the mill up the incline. I know you said 8" over 32' in which case the force becomes little more than friction - about 2% or 120 lbs of force (again, zero friction). Friction will be something, but you've minimized it with rollers.

This is a good explanation. Some people are able size up a situation like this instinctively, some of us have to use the math. This is what I love about PM, always someone who understands and can explain what is needed!

You will find the biggest risk is from rollers coming free and dropping out of position,something that must be guarded against or the mill may tip over forward or back off rollers ......One reason why a puller is a good insurance,the excess of force can "right" the situation by dragging the mill back onto the rollers ....something you'll never do with a pinchbar ,unless you have a dozen strong helpers.

In this task keeping the pipes fed is the bigger deal.
Many friends around helps.
Also many pipes under the load. Some will skid, some will twist which is where the many friends comes into play.
A 2 ton should be no problem at all and overkill.
One does not want going back downhill. This is easy, safety straps, plain ole cheapo Harbor Freight straps that you tighten as the load come up. Again friends and family on those.
Bob

The key is putting the cable on the bottom...and a pulley at the top, then just drag it with a pickup.

My preferred way of moving things in the pre-forklift era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back