Cost to have someone load / unload 1,700lb band saw into box truck? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forklift is your easiest most rock solid way.

Ideally you want the box truck as level as possible when you start pallet jacking...whatever you do don't jack it up with the back end lower than the front....

Bigger challenge imo is how to secure the load to the thin fiberglass walls....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Moto-Mucci View Post
    Curious what it will cost to have a large machine loaded and unloaded from a box truck?

It's a 1,700 lb Doall V-36 bandsaw - 66" x 36" x 78".

I'm moving my motorcycle shop 700 miles and renting a 24' box truck to do it. This is the only thing I can't load on my own and I'm wondering if it's worth keeping or selling. I assume I would want to have it loaded first / put it towards the cab as much as possible.

I was thinking of renting a box truck to move my 3900 lb Rivett lathe this past Tuesday. Glad I abandoned that idea and rented a stakebed truck. The stakebed truck I rented came witha 1600 lb liftgate.

For such a heavy and large machine, I would go with a stakebed. There are Ford F450 and Isuzu stakebeds for rent from Enterprise and others. The smaller box trucks typically do not have good tie down points for something that heavy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by matt_isserstedt View Post
    Forklift is your easiest most rock solid way.

Ideally you want the box truck as level as possible when you start pallet jacking...whatever you do don't jack it up with the back end lower than the front....

Bigger challenge imo is how to secure the load to the thin fiberglass walls....
    I'll let others make their own moral decisions, but some brands of rental trucks have wooden decks. If the machine is properly secured to some suitable timber in advance, one can drill through that timber, through the floor, and then lag in place with some threaded rod, washers, and jammed nuts. Obviously watch out for frame rails and anything else. A couple segments of oak dowel glued and pounded into place, then cut and sanded flush, are virtually invisible even after sweeping the trailer clean.
    Those nice long boards you lagged the machine to also make it much easier to roll the thing on pipes inside the truck, onto the tilt bed wrecker that can put it back on the ground, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A wrecker tow truck can load it, the semi wrecker with a good operator can place it pretty far into the box. I've seen it done before and they usually charge $100-200 to come out depending on where and which wrecker you need.