(Desperately) Need Some Advice/Help - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have always liked the quote about "Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment". At 20, you need some experience. :-)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Plenty of good advice already.

All I can add is that it might be wise - since you have been given it - to TAKE IT!

Anything under $1,500, each end, for any "real" rigger's work is run-away-from scary.

Too cheap!

Experience, proper equipment and gear in sound condition, quality of staff & supervision, insurance coverage, fiscal soundness, honesty, or such just may not "be there".

It's all "portal to portal" as to their costs.

TIME for staff, TIME for equipment, TIME of apportioned overheads all start running when they schedule the dispatch, leave their yard, do not CEASE running until they get BACK to their yard.

Only reason an auction house can provide that lowball $500 is off the back of a shared slice of the larger pie of a rigger going onto the site once, then doing "many" loadouts, same day or three before machine recovery back to starbase alpha.

Use that gift or lose it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Plenty of good advice already.

All I can add is that it might be wise - since you have been given it - to TAKE IT!

No No !
    You don't understand whom your addressing....
    A "here's your participation trophy" millennial.

We are to "lighten up"....

Maybe the OP should instead..."move on down the road" to where coddling
    is preferred...over any meaningful help.

4. Likes Dualkit, ptsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    No No !
    You don't understand whom your addressing....
    A "here's your participation trophy" millennial.

We are to "lighten up"....

Maybe the OP should instead..."move on down the road" to where coddling
    is preferred...over any meaningful help.
    Being kinda harsh. He SAID he had forked himself up.

Didn't specify he was a Russian ass-ette 'bout to run for Pretzel-dent as an undefendent.

6. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think we must have a You Tube generation issue. They see stuff done by well equipped professionals and think "That looks easy" . How any one would even consider moving a 8100# machine for their first attempt at moving something that could cause bodily harm or financial liability is beyond insane.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I think we must have a You Tube generation issue. They see stuff done by well equipped professionals and think "That looks easy" . How any one would even consider moving a 8100# machine for their first attempt at moving something that could cause bodily harm or financial liability is beyond insane.
    The EAA community has suffered (when HF brought out the $99 flux core welders) of people attempting "EMT and gasless Flux Core Airframes"

I think "Steel Studs, Ag roofing panels & self drillers" would make a dandy
    plane....No welds to crack nor pesky knowledge or training needed....

9. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What do we pay for with a rigger:
    Insurance on site, during transportation and unloading, proper Equipment and the Experience to use it.
    Some factories don't allow you in to remove equipment with out proof of policy, (min. million).

I'd have the Rigger do it-- especially with the close cost of forklift rental and delivery.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No wonder our society can't do SQRT-JACK-SHIT these days.

Mere $500 load-out? Under 10K Avoir? Piece of cake, this one is.

"Risk" is the first human as was ever starving-desperate enuf to have et a live LOBSTER, alien-ugly, angry as Hell, and fighting back, each crunchy BITE.

Damned Bugs can be deadly toxic, raw, y'see. Or not.

You'd have to know "risk".

Or maybe just "hungry"?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ya’ll are just blowin a bunch of hot air here, most have missed the point entirely.

To the OP, you are not an idiot for bidding 4$ on this, but you are for thinking you won it before the hammer drops.

The correct question is “IF” I bought a... THEN how would I move it..

you did get some good advice here, As to your direction in life, I think you may be going in the right way for you, and I think it’s really great that you are considering making actual things in metal for a living, I really do! However, consider getting a little more experience on OTHER people’s gear under your belt before saddling yourself with 4 tons of iron.

If you already own your land, own a used machine, and have the money, it’s already a risky proposition on account of the setup costs, as others have said.

Good luck, I admire your spirit, keep posting here!

13. Likes dalmatiangirl61, Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For another option look at getting a roll back tow truck, the kind that tilts down to the ground. Call around to find one that can carry the weight, most are made to just carry a car. I have moved my old 8000 lb forklift with a local tow truck no problems. If there is space around machine the truck should be able to back up to it, tilt the bed down, winch it on and drive away, then slide it off at your place.

This youtube shows moving smaller mill and lathe on one:
    YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just the rated stuff to secure it to the truck (loadbinders/ 20k# or better rated straps) will be expensive.
    Do you really need the machine, can you power it up, can you afford tooling??? (Vices, endmills, tool holders, just the coolant could run $1000)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you’re seriously debating about quitting school to be a machinist and can hack it in physics (junior and senior level classes, no 100 or 200 level stuff), then you might consider engineering.

And on that note, a next-to-free way of having the use of a mill without all the headaches is to befriend the SAE formula team. You will likely have to exchange time for access (build them components), but it’s almost free.

17. Likes motion guru liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Really? Hearing stories of stuff that my dad and other people of his generation did makes renting a forklift and truck capable of handling the weight for your first attempt seem down right responsible.

19. Likes BGL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Am I the only one thinking that a 1985 CNC machine can rapidly turn into a large money pit ? Especially if it gets knock around a bit by some who's just read " Rigging For Dummies ".

Remember CNC years are like dog years. Just saying.

Regards Tyrone.

21. Likes James H Clark liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Am I the only one thinking that a 1985 CNC machine can rapidly turn into a large money pit ? Especially if it gets knock around a bit by some who's just read " Rigging For Dummies ".

Remember CNC years are like dog years. Just saying.

Regards Tyrone.
    1985 is ALREADY a money-pit. But if you are 20 raging-hormones-years-old, studying some unrelated field, do not yet have a genuine grasp on what you want to do, can do, or will do? And whom among us is liar enough to claim WE did, either, in our turn?

It can just SIT there, looking all ugly and technical, "dreaming", but not eating so much as a single curry bun the next five years.

WHEREAS... one Hell of a lot RISKIER "money pit" mought be pubs, brothels, fast cars, broken motorbikes, slow horses, drugs, rioting in the high street, or bad marriage equivalence-to, any or all of which in any combination "seemed like a good idea at the time", yah?

He's got his priorities right. Learning, growing, making new friends and wise.

Mentors matter more than money, most months.

Dumb like a Fox?

DAMHIKT, either!

23. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyhoo,a guy who lifts a machine with a fork aint a rigger IMHO.......a rigger is a guy who builds steel shed frames 100ft high........a forklift operator is just some dummy off the street who s done a 3 hr forklift ticket course to comply with the regulations made by some WHS inspectors.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

okay, lets give the kid a little break. Been there, did that.

Call cullinan. they are the premier rigging company in the area. They have moved at least 2 dozen machines for me. top qualitu work.

Dont drop out. find your niche. I have done all the classes you have done, and ended up where you will be. PM if you want some life advice.

26. Likes LockNut liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So your not stupid, your foolish. Welcome to the club.

You want to be a machinist but love physics and are good at math.

And, your already on the way to a degree.

And your only 20 years old.

Well if you want to drop out and very quickly reach an income plateau, get little appreciation from degreed 'engineers' who have a diploma and little imagination but make about 60% more than you - be my guest.

If you want to be a machinist/engineer/physicist and work on some seriously high tech and eventually make an income that you can afford to get a newer and better machine and pay for a proper rigging and transport - stay in school.

Tomorrow morning go to the physics departments machine shop and inquire about a job, be humble, listen and work hard, get that diploma while making connections with faculty you are making parts for while getting that diploma - these people appreciate skilled bright people and the connections you make doing that work along with that piece of paper with a bunch of latin and your name on it will open a hundred doors of opportunity.

Don't do what I did and drop out - its only four years, my car is ten years old and my cnc mill twenty six. It took me to be forty seven before I could afford a serviceable machine of my own. I'm fifty nine now. Still have the same machine.

BTW - I paid a crew of three expert riggers $1,200.00 to lift, transport less than two miles and place the machine. It was worth every penny.

B

28. Likes motion guru, dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I greatly appreciate all of the useful feedback, and the comments about being young and foolish but on the right track warms my heart. I'd like to think I'm different from most kids nowadays, most I know talk about how much they hate their studies and want get them over with so they can get a high paying job that they also hate.

I guess growing up in a family where I barely see my father because he's at work making a quarter million a year as a doctor has taught me how little happiness money can actually buy you, and it looks like a lot of people are going to learn that the hard way too.

As of right now, seems like the plan is to pander to my parents to dish out the money to get this thing running.

In terms of setup, running the thing, tooling, vices, all that, I do indeed know what I'm getting into, but I'm a cheapskate and ebay carbide has been good enough for me so far. I'm thinking making my own vices and fixturing wont be too hard. I've got my school's machine shop in the meantime to make equipment.

In terms of it being a money hole, from what I have heard the thing is in excellent condition, the gunsmith who owned it taking very good care of it, plus there's a Matsuura manufacturing facility a few blocks from my school, which is a short drive from my home, so I wont have to deal with freight shipping on parts, unless they're huge then I'll get my uncle's truck.

Also, thanks Digger Doug and friends for providing some entertainment. I guess I'll go back to being the snowflake, idiot millenial I am, back in the machine shop and physics labs.

I dont really like to instigate but it is quite fun. Draco dormiens titilandus est.

Sorry for reposting, tried to edit and my phone didnt like that and deleted the post instead. Removed the quotation marks from foolish, since that is definitely the correct, all encompassing word here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by UselessPhysicist View Post
    I greatly appreciate all of the useful feedback, and the comments about being young and foolish but on the right track warms my heart. I'd like to think I'm different from most kids nowadays, most I know talk about how much they hate their studies and want get them over with so they can get a high paying job that they also hate.

I guess growing up in a family where I barely see my father because he's at work making a quarter million a year as a doctor has taught me how little happiness money can actually buy you, and it looks like a lot of people are going to learn that the hard way too.

As of right now, seems like the plan is to pander to my parents to dish out the money to get this thing running.

In terms of setup, running the thing, tooling, vices, all that, I do indeed know what I'm getting into, but I'm a cheapskate and ebay carbide has been good enough for me so far. I'm thinking making my own vices and fixturing wont be too hard. I've got my school's machine shop in the meantime to make equipment.

In terms of it being a money hole, from what I have heard the thing is in excellent condition, the gunsmith who owned it taking very good care of it, plus there's a Matsuura manufacturing facility a few blocks from my school, which is a short drive from my home, so I wont have to deal with freight shipping on parts, unless they're huge then I'll get my uncle's truck.

Also, thanks Digger Doug and friends for providing some entertainment. I guess I'll go back to being the snowflake, idiot millenial I am, back in the machine shop and physics labs.

I dont really like to instigate but it is quite fun. Draco dormiens titilandus est.

Sorry for reposting, tried to edit and my phone didnt like that and deleted the post instead. Removed the quotation marks from foolish, since that is definitely the correct, all encompassing word here.
    and we will do a 180. in all honesty, you need a mentor. if you want to see what it really takes to be a player in this game let me know. I know the comments on here can be harsh, but it is coming from a world of experience you cannot fathom at this point. Rigging is day one. There is a world past that you cant even imagine yet

31. Likes TMS8C8 liked this post