(Desperately) Need Some Advice/Help - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m16ty View Post
    It wouldn't be all that unusual for that machine to sell for $4. Lots of CNC machines of that age can't even get a bid at auction. Sure, somebody could always sell it for scrap value, but scrap prices are really low right now, and somebody has to deduct the price of them loading it and hauling it to the scrap yard.

Scrap price around here is about $90 per ton, if not lower for unprepared scrap. That makes that machine worth about $360, so even if somebody gets it for free, they have to load it and haul it to the scrap yard for only $360. If you have to pay the on-site rigger to load it for $500, you are already in the hole. I've got the insurance and the means to load and haul that machine, and somebody would have to pay me to haul it off for scrap. In other words, it cost more to deal with it than it will bring in scrap money.
    Seriously, you must think I am real stupid. When I implied someone would buy it for scrap I assumed everyone would understand that person has to have their own rigging equipment to make the venture profitable. I guess not. Also the electronics are worth something, the value just isn't in scrap iron.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While the the machine is long in the tooth, if I had to buy an old machine it would likely be a Matsuura or a Haas. The shop I apprenticed in is still running around 15 MC600 s and making money doing precision work. Matsuura does support these.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I might also point out that just because you are offered $90/ton,that is not what the regulars get,,,,,the yards generally work on a margin of around $100+ a ton for heavy steel,and the big players like Simmsmetal with hedged contracts get considerably more again......the regulars dont cop any loading fees either ,they generally drag the machine out,and load up onto a tilttray or crane truck.....All the scrappies I knew wernt above giving auctioneers a helping hand ,bid wise,at onsite auctions.