What's new
What's new

Detroit Diesel 2-71 awakening

Just helped a friend get a 1969 3-53 running on Sunday. It has sat since the 1980's. Pulled the lines off the injectors and pumped ATF through them. Pulled rack off and beat the living hell out of the plungers and fuel control rods with a brass drift and hammer. Fired right off and of coarse, went wide open. Choked it off with plate over intake. Hammered on fuel rods again to unstick them. Re-installed rack and cycled rack with vise grips 50,000 times until rack was smooth again. Put back together and fired right up, vise grip on rack to shut down in case it tries to stick again.

Wish it had a tach on it. Ran the rack wide open (no governor) for awhile. Sounded like it was zinging up there pretty good, but can't really tell with a detroit. Noisy, heavy, leaky, gutless little turd.

I've bought a few welders with running 2-71's in them for a few hundred bucks. Never got much for the motors. Even scrapped one of them in nice running shape.

I like my 2-71 powered welder. Nobody bothers me when I'm welding. When I start the engine everyone seems to disappear.

Nothing like a noisy Detroit diesel. Having worked two summers on a power skiff towing the end of a seine net with a 3-53 running 1800 rpm with an open stack, I learned to live with tinnitus and the onset of hearing loss from a young age.

Driving home last night I passed an old GMC cracker box cab ramp truck with a tractor on the back. It was doing about 55 and had dual stacks. Sounded like it had a 8V-71 and it was by far the loudest vehicle I have heard in a long time. The driver was wearing over ear hearing protection and looked like he was having a great time and the two stroke sounded like it was spinning well over 2 grand which makes for quite an angry sounding racket if you haven’t heard one before.

Nothing like a noisy Detroit diesel. Having worked two summers on a power skiff towing the end of a seine net with a 3-53 running 1800 rpm with an open stack, I learned to live with tinnitus and the onset of hearing loss from a young age.

Driving home last night I passed an old GMC cracker box cab ramp truck with a tractor on the back. It was doing about 55 and had dual stacks. Sounded like it had a 8V-71 and it was by far the loudest vehicle I have heard in a long time. The driver was wearing over ear hearing protection and looked like he was having a great time and the two stroke sounded like it was spinning well over 2 grand which makes for quite an angry sounding racket if you haven’t heard one before.

Airport had an auction a few years back...I almost bought a crash truck (would be GREAT ! for the daily commute...) had an 8v-92 silver series in the back.

O-60 mph RIGHT NOW !
However, even though it was 4x4, it was not an Oskosh, it was a Walters, and parts are non existant.

Having worked two summers on a power skiff towing the end of a seine net with a 3-53 running 1800 rpm with an open stack, I learned to live with tinnitus and the onset of hearing loss from a young age.
Last summer went through 700 - 800 gallons so probably 2000 miles with a 6-71. Dry stack but had mufflers and I put a fair amount of work into quieting the thing, it wasn't half bad. And it always started right up. No electronics :)

Nice engine in a boat or a bus. Truckers are less pleased with them.

I saw a rag stuffed in the outlet up top.
They can idle for a fair amount of time with no water circulation without damage. They blow so much air through the motor that it's actually hard to get them up to temp at idle.

I lost a raw water pump in the middle of Malaspina Strait, piddling along at idle made me nervous but worked out okay. Not something you'd want to do often and the 92's are real sensitive to heat but ....

At low speed without a load they can go a long time without heating up, but under-load not so much, I had to use very large rads on the gen-sets I built with the 2 stroke monsters...Phil

At low speed without a load they can go a long time without heating up, but under-load not so much, I had to use very large rads on the gen-sets I built with the 2 stroke monsters...Phil

Yes, I've heard this too.
However over 5 minutes of running, and allot sounded like on "high idle" ?

Why risk burning up an engine ?
Oh, it's going to the auction.....screw it.

Should be good for some time I'd guess with that Rustoleum Rebuild.

OK, so now what'chew gunna doo with it?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back