Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought an old 1960s diesel Hyster 80 at a coal mine closure auction......it had six inches of coal in the tank.....no it wasnt steam.........anyhoo ,tranny had problems ,dragged badly in forward......never fixed.......ran for 15 years in my engineering business,sat 10 years in the weather behind my house,used another 4 years,has again sat recently....In that time ,I have maybe replaced a couple of hoses with used ones,and if I needed it again,I would get it going....never had any brakes,so I always drove it myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    With all that work you did I would think you would have done the seat also?
    ????? What am I missing?

3. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roosa Master pump it will probably start with fresh fuel. Plunger pump like Cat will probably have to be disassembled. Unit injectors may be stuck. Tapping and fiddling may free them, but reman usually not to expensive. johnk's tips on half oil in a detroit and heating the injectors are good. I wonder if the heat would free a stuck Cat pump?

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

had a strange accident (almost) with a D9H ,the inline pump has a small oil pressure boosted governor,and the tiny piston in the governor can stick in the full rack position when the engine lies idle.......water in the oil is common with D9s,gaskets leak when the liners sink in the block.....anyway ,young Dave ,started the engine with the turbo pipes off,and it began to slowly pick up revs,and fill the shop with black smoke......I yelled to get clear ,shes gonna blow,and Dave went to block the intake with his belly.......it would have killed him.....I managed to find a old car hubcap ,and blocked the intake with that....The motor was already over revving,and the shop was filled with dense black smoke,then with the air blocked , choking white fuel mist.....We were lucky that day to all be in one piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In your first post you mention fixing the seat twice so I thought you were especially proud of it so I poked a little fun at you
    Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    fuck pump shops. They are all ripoff artists.

Most pump shops are masters at BS and glass beading parts.

Shitty forklifts are expensive to make good. I did a 1977 Hyster 30 up and it was an undertaking. Cylinders, hoses, seat, paint, mast chains and rollers, seat, wiring, battery. Then you have the engine and tranny to fix up.

A decent, cared for older forklift for $3k-$5k is a pretty sweet deal in comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    With all that work you did I would think you would have done the seat also?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    ????? What am I missing?

7. Likes Ox, CBlair liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    had a strange accident (almost) with a D9H ,the inline pump has a small oil pressure boosted governor,and the tiny piston in the governor can stick in the full rack position when the engine lies idle.......water in the oil is common with D9s,gaskets leak when the liners sink in the block.....anyway ,young Dave ,started the engine with the turbo pipes off,and it began to slowly pick up revs,and fill the shop with black smoke......I yelled to get clear ,shes gonna blow,and Dave went to block the intake with his belly.......it would have killed him.....I managed to find a old car hubcap ,and blocked the intake with that....The motor was already over revving,and the shop was filled with dense black smoke,then with the air blocked , choking white fuel mist.....We were lucky that day to all be in one piece.
    Did the hubcap keep it from putting a window in the side of the block? BTDT 3306 Cat.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nope,the motor wasnt damaged,far as I know.....Tractor was a 90V series with a D353TA motor.