What's new
What's new

Diferent style jib crane pole is an I beam

Bill D

Diamond
I saw this jib crane on craigs list. It looks like a standard wall or vertical support post mount. But it comes with an I beam vertical post welded to a base plate with gussets like a regular pole type. It only swings 180 degrees or so.
Seems like the vertical post is less critical since the bolted on hinges could be shimmed level if needed? I mean if the base settles uneven over time.
Bill D

Attachments

• jib crane.jpg
    jib crane.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 290
I think that is a home made unit from steel that was laying at hand. No engineering in evidence.

Probably a H-beam/universal column rather than an I-beam/rolled steel joist. As in larger flanges and smaller web than the RSJ, so it has similar stiffness front/back and site/side,

I would think a I-beam would be cheaper to buy the a round column for an equal strength. Just seems harder to roll land weld a tube. For steel a solid round is the cheapest form and other shape seems to cost more per pound. Of course the round pole has equal strength in all directions. The I-beam would be different strength at 90 degrees
Bil lD

I would think a I-beam would be cheaper to buy the a round column for an equal strength. Just seems harder to roll land weld a tube. For steel a solid round is the cheapest form and other shape seems to cost more per pound. Of course the round pole has equal strength in all directions. The I-beam would be different strength at 90 degrees
Bil lD

But it's not "Equal strength"....I've seen many commercially avail I-beam job cranes, however the vertical portion turn on the hinges, keeping the bending momement in line with the web.

Bil lD

The material in the center of a pillar adds nothing to the bending strength. Its not the cost per pound that matters, its the cost/lb of useful material.

I don't think you can find a wide flange beam that is any stiffer in the weak axis than 1/2 the strong axis, where some are less than 1/30 the stiffness.

Open sections such as a I/H beam have very poor torsional stiffness. Torsional stiffness has to be considered with jib cranes with powered rotation.

I think that is a home made unit from steel that was laying at hand. No engineering in evidence.

I think you are correct. The square plate looks larger then I would expect. Fewer triangle braces then normal. I think there is a welded angle brace half way up the pole. It might be a gib brace instead.
Bill D

More research has shown some good companies using an I beam for a column crane bolted inside a building. The jib seems to be bolted solid to the vertical beam, But there is a bearing top and bottom on the I beam so that avoids the different loading on the web.
Bill D

More research has shown some good companies using an I beam for a column crane bolted inside a building. The jib seems to be bolted solid to the vertical beam, But there is a bearing top and bottom on the I beam so that avoids the different loading on the web.
Bill D

Very different scenario. The building column is not cantilevered, it is attached at each end. The columns I'm familiar with the upright is faced with a heavy piece of c channel, leg in, to withstand the forces when the beam is swung perpendicular to the rafter.

Back