What's new
What's new

Independent Machine Mover South Bend / Elkhart IN Area?

cinematechnic

Cast Iron
I'm moving my equipment from the NE to South Bend area where it will be stored. I have a Hardinge HLV-H in a Penske truck without a liftgate. It was loaded in at dock height.

I may be able to unload the lathe on the moving company loading dock, but still need to get it to the storage unit which is ground level. Can't leave it at the moving company and they are reluctant to put it on their lift gate for fear of tipping/rolling issues.

Way over budget on this move so I am particularly interested in independent movers that may be willing to give me a good rate.

Need is immediate.

Shameless plug: Please help out a longtime member in a tough situation.

Thanks!

Yeah.

IDK exactly what you mean by "independant", but my go-to in Mishawaka is Clover.
They are decent and reasonable.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Out of curiosity what has the pandemic done to rigging rates, with most shipping services charging more? I haven't paid a rigger in decades.

Lift gate trucks have been essentially unavailable for short term rental within 50 miles of Boston for at least the past few months. The entire inventory is tied up in commercial leases.

Call a few fork truck rental places and see what it would cost for them to meet you at the storage unit to unload. Check with a few riggers as well.

The next best option is to build a heavy pallet to put the machine on. Should be doable even with it sitting in the truck. Contact a tilt back tow truck and have them drag it onto their bed and then lower it to the ground. If you construct your pallet to take a pallet jack, shuffling in storage will be easy. Call the tow truck back when it is time to move it out.

I just moved did a similar move of a tilt back. It was a 1500lb machine that I would normally do on a lift gate, but such a truck was unobtanium. Roughly 35 mile round trip. Local rigger wanted $1400. Tow truck was $300 plus a generous tip because the driver was thoughtful, patient, drove 55 mph on the highway and avoided a known bumpy road without asking.

Lift gate trucks have been essentially unavailable for short term rental within 50 miles of Boston for at least the past few months. The entire inventory is tied up in commercial leases.

Call a few fork truck rental places and see what it would cost for them to meet you at the storage unit to unload. Check with a few riggers as well.

The next best option is to build a heavy pallet to put the machine on. Should be doable even with it sitting in the truck. Contact a tilt back tow truck and have them drag it onto their bed and then lower it to the ground. If you construct your pallet to take a pallet jack, shuffling in storage will be easy. Call the tow truck back when it is time to move it out.

I just moved did a similar move of a tilt back. It was a 1500lb machine that I would normally do on a lift gate, but such a truck was unobtanium. Roughly 35 mile round trip. Local rigger wanted $1400. Tow truck was $300 plus a generous tip because the driver was thoughtful, patient, drove 55 mph on the highway and avoided a known bumpy road without asking.

Do not rent one
Have it collected and delivered by a transport compagny
Thats what I do at least
Might be different in the US But I have machines delivered in the US with tailgate service Well it was crated to be honest
But yes Over here some compagnies do not take on new customers because they are bussy as it is

Peter

Peter

Around here, very few "movers" touch machinery unless they are specialized movers or riggers which cost $$.

He could put it on a pallet and drop it off at the closest freight depot with lift gate delivery to the storage unit. Personally if I already have made the run to get the machine, I am not going to risk the shuffle through the freight depot.

This is why I suggest a tilt back tow or see if there is a reasonably priced fork truck available. The advantage of a tow truck is they often have high availability and can come out within a few hours if needed. OP is probably trying to get this thing out of the truck so he can stop paying for the truck.

It just occurred to me that a boom tow truck might be able to lift it out and place it on a pallet at ground level. I assume an HLV has some acceptable lifting points. That should is likely the cheapest/fastest option.

Thanks for all the replies, and sorry I have been absent. The move was very tough and I had to take a few days off (got a bad cold).

Clover ended up being the solution. They offered to unload and store for a reasonable fee.

Thank God for good 'ol American industry! At least in the Heartland, you can still get things done without spending your last Dollar and borrowing more.

I have heard the same: Liftgate trucks are unavailable now.

Back