What's new
What's new

Disassemble lodge & shipley

Corzolek

Plastic
Just purchased a l&s 16 inch model a physical sight unseen. After purchase was told we have to disassemble it to get it out the door. Can anyone share wisdom what order to disassemble and handling tips?

Probably need to say which 16" L&S - they started in the 1890s and were still making manual lathes in the late sixties - very different from the oldies

From pictures I believe it is a model A, has 3 squeeze handles on top to change gears.
Has to be taken apart to get thru door ways what original owner said.
The machine is on ground level so no steps.
Also no forklift on site to lift pieces onto trailer.
Guessing based on limited info total weight is roughly 7000lbs.

From pictures I believe it is a model A, has 3 squeeze handles on top to change gears.
Has to be taken apart to get thru door ways what original owner said.
The machine is on ground level so no steps.
Also no forklift on site to lift pieces onto trailer.
Guessing based on limited info total weight is roughly 7000lbs.

Hire a rigger! Unless it has an overhead drive system height should not be a problem for a regular door, that leaves width which depending on dimensions of machine and doorway might require removing a rear mount motor, or possibly the carriage or taper attachment, if it still does not fit maybe gear change levers, if it still does not fit rip out the door frame. No forklift to load, too small of a doorway to fit thru, I hope its a well tooled cream puff!

(Never mind, not the same machine) :D

I'll guess the "A" in the serial is really a "4" making it mid fifties - which matches up with the higher spindle speeds - older A models going about half that

The 7000 seems like a good guess - the '47 brochure being somewhat less at 6100 for a 30" centers machine.

Not sure what disassembly would do for you going thru a door - unless you are talking TOTAL disassembly and standing the bed on end

Head stock and the leg under it will be the widest parts back to front - I'd guess the head stock at 2000 and the leg at 700

This was the auction. The owner told the auctioneer that he had to remove even the legs. Looking to understand if there is any documentation how to take apart down to bare bed if anything is out there.
Pardon Our Interruption

Its like others in general - and I have never heard of a "how to do it"

The best approach is to assume that every part will somehow be related to its close neighbor with stuff you have to attend to - before you can get either off

For instance, you cannot get the carriage off without attending to all the shafts and lead screw (passing thru apron) that are firmly attached to the gear box that is attached to the side of the bed under the head stock

Or...before you ever start to get the head stock off you will have to remove all the left end gearing attached to it

Or... before you ever get to the bolts in the left leg holding it on the the bottom of the bed - you will very likely have to have the motor out

Or... the huge time gobbler of documenting all this so you have some hope of actually putting it back together properly

Just the act of removal of a head stock was a major planning exercise

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ry/rig-lift-place-184019/?highlight=headstock

good luck

Have you seen the doorway it needs to fit thru? Dimensions of doorway and machine? Are they going to leave an overhead hoist so you can lift the parts? Lathes are not terribly complicated to disassemble, but if you've never done one, and you are under the gun to get it out NOW, your going to need help and some luck.

Again I say get rigger to look at it, even if you have to tear door out and pay to repair it you might be better off.

Price wise I think you did pretty well, now if you can just figure out how to get it out:scratchchin:

The door could be a garage door at 9 foot wide by 6 foot tall. My 20" L & S lathe I bought from John Oder took up almost the full width of that door way. And it took a rigger to place it in my garage and to take it out. Ken

I think a site visit is in order. Report back with good pictures and dimensions of the route to the door . With more information we may be able to help you but at this point there simply is not enough information to comment on. My first though is what went in will come out unless the building was modified in between . I would be very surprised if the machine was taken apart to put it in the building but again without more information we can only speculate.

Owner to Rigger: "I have this old lathe in my machine-cave that I want to remove so I can sell it, can you give me a bid?"

Rigger to Owner (after seeing 4ft square hole): "$5k cash job we can start tomorrow"

Owner to Rigger: "But! Its not worth that much to sell, I can't pay you that, it will be a big money loser!"

Rigger to Owner: "I suggest you give it away or donate it and make the moving a condition of new ownership, we're busy with other paying work at present"

Owner to Rigger (google searching for local auctioneer): "That's a Great Idea!"

Bottom line is I think you paid someone $175 to solve their expensive rigging problem.

How I would fix it were I in the same situation and assuming you intend to continue...(I mean hey, we've all made a bad deal from time to time and got some new experience out of it)

- acquire stanley 25' powerlock tape measure and notebook
- acquire gopro camera and wire tags, ziplock backs, label machine, 5 gallons of degreaser and huck towels.
- acquire gantry crane which is good for 2 tons plus chainfall and possibly also lever chain hoist, soft slings and shackles, possibly eyebolts and swiveling hoist rings
- acquire pallet jack and wooden framing materials plus circular saw, impact tool, GRK -RSS screws
- acquire machine skates

I'm going to WAG that the headstock and tailstock have to come off and the bare-bed with apron still attached can skate thru the door. That's what the tape measure is going to confirm before you go deeper into the list.

So, you'd carry in the gantry and assemble it, after major disassembly & documentation, remove headstock, tailstock, electric motor and a bunch of shafts. Place these on pallets and pallet-jack to daylight.

*Potentially* one could also use the gantry to pick one end of the bedway up at a time thru the Airy points and place skates under the feet. May need 6 skates if there's a center support. Armed with several helpers, skate this out thru the door to daylight.

Put all of your gear on a pallet and pallet-jack to daylight.

Finally, rent a forklift to load all of the pallets and then the bedway onto a truck/trailer, possibly pay the rigger a considerably lower amount to do this once they are all easily accessible. Unload at your destination and reassemble.

Back