What's new
What's new

Does Forklift Rated Capacity Decline with Age?

Palak

Aluminum
We are looking at buying an older (1980s) Cat forklift with a rated capacity of 15,000 lbs (Cat V150). We would be using it to lift loads close to or at its capacity. The forklift is in fair condition.

Would it be reasonable to assume, if all hydraulic hoses are in good condition, that the forklift would be able to still perform at its capacity? Or, as forklifts "age", does their capacity decrease?

Thanks in advance.

We are looking at buying an older (1980s) Cat forklift with a rated capacity of 15,000 lbs (Cat V150). We would be using it to lift loads close to or at its capacity. The forklift is in fair condition.

Would it be reasonable to assume, if all hydraulic hoses are in good condition, that the forklift would be able to still perform at its capacity? Or, as forklifts "age", does their capacity decrease?

Thanks in advance.
most fork truck the forks will go down slowly over time. i have seen ones in need of repair where forks would go down over a 1" per minute with no load and with a heavy load will go down much faster
it might need inspection and repairs

The lifting capacity of the forklift depends on the setting of the pressure relief valve. If it has weakened it can be readjusted to original specs.

But I would not consider regular lifts at or near capacity with a 30 year old used forklift to be a good or safe practice. Forklifts are built to a price point. They are disposable. If it is at all in your budget, look for something newer or something with more capacity. I'd much rather make a 1/2 capacity lift on a 30 year old machine than a full capacity lift. In either case, the machine needs a complete inspection by a competent mechanic.

Yes and no.

If the machine was well maintained by owners it should still work to rated capacity. If on the other hand it was not well maintained it may be "iffy" even at 1/4 to 1/3 rated capacity.

Others have mentioned hydraulics but if it is a model with lift chains severely worn chains can be an issue. The chains "stretch" as the holes in the plates wear and chains worn past certain limits are unsafe. There also can be issues with mast bushings and supports, carriage and fork wear, etc.

Professional lift truck mechanics are required to measure chain stretch, fork thickness, etc. and have standards for when replacement is required. They also inspect for cracks, impact damage, etc.

If you are serious about buying this unit and using it other than lightly you may want to hire a service firm to perform an inspection before buying. Most mobile service techs can do this at the seller's place and if they balk at an inspection ...........

The rated capacity of a forklift is more than just hydraulics. The lift cylinder, forks, mast, tires, frame and even the counterweight together comprise a "package" that is capable of lifting the intended load. Compromise any part of the package and the capacity goes down. Tires and hydraulics can "deteriorate" over time but the "hardware" components aren't going to lose capacity with age. That said, when using an older machine at or near its maximum rated capacity you want to be damn sure that the mechanical parts; especially the forks and mast, do not have cracks or defects that could cause a sudden, catastrophic failure. Leaky hydraulics that allow a load to settle slowly to the ground are a lot less dangerous than a fork that suddenly snaps and drops a load from several feet off the ground.

In practice there are thousands of old--some really old--forklifts used every day right around the world. As with any machine operated by humans the key to safety is to be aware of all the things that can go wrong and operate as if one of them could happen at any time. Dropping a 15,000 lb. load from 10 ft. off the ground isn't going to hurt anyone if they're standing out of the way...

ever pickup too much with fork truck and rear end goes up ? usually it accelerates fast and operator after sensing rear end 3 or 6" in the air puts the load down fast which of course rear end of fork truck drops like a rock.
tends to give operator whiplash as they do not put big shock absorbents or springs in for trucks. fairly easy to max out fork truck til rear end goes up. i do it ever day especially if load toward end of forks too much

Thanks for the replies thus far.

If the rated capacity is stated as 15000 lbs with load at 24" on center, and lift height of 144", for example, how does the rated capacity change if load lifted is only 72" high? I assume it would be less "taxing" at a lower lift height, but not sure.

Yes, I'd imagine.

More hours on the pump, tired seals and in general more wear.

I have an old 25k Hyster, just judging by the general design I'd say it's a 60's or 70's machine. Its been arround the block a few times, but I don't think its ever been abused.

That being said I'll bend the forks (it's only got 2.5" forks on it), before it can't left something. But I run the machine mabey 20 hours a year, lifting at capacity 8 hours a day 7 days a week is different.

The lift height is going to effect the stability of the forkift, driving around with the load up in the air. The distance the load center is at is the big factor. Like the load radius of a crane.

If the pump and engine are good, I'd imagine new seals would make a weak/drifting forklift a lot better.

"Does Forklift Rated Capacity Decline with Age?"

Absolutely! I have an ancient forklift and the spec plate now reads "CAPACITY = 0000". No kidding.

If the rated capacity is stated as 15000 lbs with load at 24" on center, and lift height of 144", for example, how does the rated capacity change if load lifted is only 72" high? I assume it would be less "taxing" at a lower lift height, but not sure.

The lower to the ground you are, the less stress on the tilt cylinders. Some lift trucks have greater capacity at lower lift heights. The way your load chart is written though, 15k is still the max.

We are in the machinery moving business. We have a 12k lift that's a 1978. She will do every bit as much as when it was new. It all depends on how they are treated and kept up. Hoses can be replaced, cylinders rebuilt, mast rebuilt.

Another thing to consider is most forklifts 15k and above don't usually get used near as much as say a 5k lift. Most plants that have big lifts only use them every once in awhile for big lifts, the rest of the time they just sit. Other people that are in the machinery moving business use them in slow speed short operations and don't rack up many hours either.

I think forklift capacity goes up with age.

2 reasons-

When it's an old lift you don't care as much if you bend a fork or tweak something.

New lifts with computers won't let you lift more than capacity.

I've lifted 4500 @ 18" with my S2500 Hyster and well over 7500 @ 24" with an 80's 5000 hyster. Atleast once a month I hang 1800 off the end of one fork on my S2500.

I've had the rear tires off the ground a lot using lifts pasts capacity, but I've never dropped the load and slammed the ass down. It always seemed pretty controllable and easy to comp for.

FYI the rated capacity is to ensure safe operation on a daily basis over an extended period of time. Most operators have at one time or another lifted loads well above the rating at fairly low height and have moved loads (carefully) where the steering felt light. In such cases it is a matter of judgement based on experience.

This link explains the principle involved in load stability which is known as the Stability Triangle. It's all about leverage and never letting the load get close to balance with the lift truck.

http://liftright.net/stability-triangle.htm

There is a LOT more to it than the ratings plate and age...
My first concern would be repair dollars. If you really need to lift 15,000lb, I would sure want a 25,000 lift truck.
Repairs on a 30 year old truck plus purchase will likely put into or over the price of a much newer machine.
I was nursing an old Clark 4,000 lb machine for WAY too long. When it finally puked out and we started adding up repairs... Transmission, brakes, lift cylinder, we would have been $8,000 deep into a 40 year old turd that still would have been an old truck of marginal usefulness. Put a little money with that and got a 2 year old lease return that is an excellent machine. No problems, no worries.

Yeah as someone who runs only junk, working on tired iron isn't fun. Having to depend on tired iron to preform is even worse.

Worst feeling in the world is having a truck waiting to be unloaded and a machine deciding it's a good time to take a rest....

That being said, once the bugs are all chased out, it can be dealt with, just depends on your use. Case in point, my Hyster. I got it for a very good price, but it was sick. Lift cylinder had to be repacked as did the steering cylinder and it needed new tires.

Figured out how to repack the cylinders myself, and lucked on to some truck tires that would fit the machine (they are bit light, but serviceable), did fluids and filters and it worked.

It's still got it's issues; I still need to fix the parking brake, it's got no seat and sometimes if you try to just shove it in gear it gets suck, simple matter to just pull the shifting lever, take a big screwdriver and move the gear box to neutral. But over all it's a solid old lift.

All fine and good and pretty much the only way a gobber like myself would have a 25k forklift, but would not work for someone moving stuff around day in and day out.

If I were buying used, I'd buy as big as I could, (more room to work on it and bigger machines just take more abuse) and I'd want one with a standard transmission. They really are simple machines, not much too them, just lots of iron in a small footprint.

Here's mine, that's the heaviest thing I've picked up with it, about 17,000lbs at a 48" center or so.

Attachments

• 7419616963dae6bdf1d62529a2aef748.jpg
    7419616963dae6bdf1d62529a2aef748.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 419
We've got a Cat v140 that we mainly use on the yard. It's pretty much the same as the v150.

They are pretty decent machines but the mast on them are a little light IMO. Personally I'd rather have a 15k Hyster of the same vintage but they aren't a bad machine. A lot depends on how much they are asking and the overall condition.

IMHO,

If a 1980's something forklift can't pick up its rated capacity there is something seriously wrong. My big Hyster is a generation or two older that the one above and it lifts stuff near capacity regularly. I think the older forklifts were built better and with less emphasis on carving every detail to the bone. Sure things wear, parts get replaced and, systems need adjustments. That is standard operating procedures on lot of stuff. Forklifts are not like airframes with life limits.

Lifting equipment is or at least was built for long service life. The Union Pacific Loco shop in Green River Wy has one of the original Shaw Box 100Ton bridge cranes built in the 1880's still in use. While I agree a nice shinny new forklift IS the ideal way to go, it is easy for the gallery to spend other folks money. A well maintained older forklift offers good value. The big warehouses buy or lease forklifts just like the big trucking companies do so they have warranty coverage. Yes if you use a forklift 8~20+ hours a day, day in day out, new is certainly the way to go. If you use a forklift a few hours a week does it make sense to buy new? Only if you can justify its value implicitly or intrinsically.

Steve

If personal hobby use it is one thing but if for commercial use may need certification.

Check with your insurance guy to see what yiu need before doing anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Quite right. They may need certification and the drivers, who are generally the weak link in forklift use, will need sufficient training to use the unit properly. Forklifts are one of the most potentially dangerous machines in use in modern industry. I've personally witnessed several accidents on forklifts in places where I worked. One fool tried to climb a hill in the rain carrying a large valve. It wasn't the weight of the load that got him, it was sliding backwards and falling off the edge of the road into a ditch that did it. He was uninjured, but they had to use a crane to get the forklift out.

There are dozens of forklift accident videos on YouTube.

I know of no forklift certification rule, but there may be some state's laws out there I don't know about.

What you are required from OSHA is to have daily and annual inspection reports. You'll never need them until you have a accident but then you better have them on file when OSHA shows up.

Every forklift should be able to raise it's rear tires off the ground. May not be a bad idea to test it out before purchase if there is any question.

Back