What's new
What's new

Does a "good" rolling floor jack exist that will get under 3 1/2" ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
(minimum 2 ton capacity) I have a crappy one (see pic) that will*, but would be nice to have a proper one.

*at least it will after removing the rotating grip

IMG_9337.jpg

Particularly annoying on this one is the separate lowering valve...a proper floor jack you simply turn the same handle you pump with, to lower.

3 ton Low Profile Rapid Pump(R) Floor Jack

Hate to say it, but this jack from HF has served me fine in the home garage for vehicle service/repair the last 4-5 yrs. Doesn't drift, pumps up quick, and good reach. It's been used on my compact car, 1/2 ton trucks, diesel truck, van, lawn mower, quad, no problems.
I don't daily drive mine. If you do it might be worth researching more name-brand units.

Of course, always use jack stands (NOT from HF).

HF's "Daytona" models are decent. They are the same as SnapOn's apart from stylistic tweaks. They allegedly both come from the same factory.

I'll second the Daytona model. I have the Yellow Daytona, it's heavy duty, 3 year warranty, and it has not let me down.

I would say it is even better than some of the older American made jacks that I have had. I would say it compares to my old Walker jack (I bought that used)..

"Since 1958, AC Hydraulic products have been manufactured to the highest quality standards in Denmark"
- This is seen if you click on the "AC Hydraulic" link towards the top of the page

3 ton Low Profile Rapid Pump(R) Floor Jack

Hate to say it, but this jack from HF has served me fine in the home garage for vehicle service/repair the last 4-5 yrs. Doesn't drift, pumps up quick, and good reach. It's been used on my compact car, 1/2 ton trucks, diesel truck, van, lawn mower, quad, no problems.
I don't daily drive mine. If you do it might be worth researching more name-brand units.

Of course, always use jack stands (NOT from HF).

OLDER version of THIS one, "Pittsburgh" branded in silver(y) paint, but no longer showing in the H-F line, was but TWO Ton capacity.

Daytona™ Long Reach Low Profile Heavy Duty Car Jack

OTOH? low profile it assuredly is (was?).

Just went and measured my one. 2 5/8" - possibly 2 1/2" for a hard minimum.

Downside? It is sooo low-profile it is constantly dragging-belly on any uneven deck just getting it TO the task before you pump it up at least a skosh.

From the look of it, wot they did that causes the belly-drag was swap-in undersized front roller-wheels!

I'm au fait wit' dat' It ain't my one and only.

I can see it now.....Milacron's own line of jacks.
Make 'em air powered, and a single hand control.
Rotate the twist grip to steer the front wheels, push buttons for up/down.
Might as well put a small air motor to the rear wheels as well, it will
be VERY ergonomic.

OTC LDJA2 2-ton aluminum needs 3.25”. I bought for the light weight (41 lb) and physical size. I am happy with mine, got it on amazon.
Wow... I like that one...but already bought the Horror Fright Daytona 3 ton low profile....which is amazingly nice so far. Can't believe I've done without one of these all these years because I thought they all could not get under a 4x4...so much more convenient than a toe jack for raising machines already on timbers or machinery skates (like to remove the skate and lower machine onto 4x4.. or vise versa). Especially CNC machines where you need to get far under the coolant guarding to get to the iron base.

Wow... I like that one...but already bought the Horror Fright Daytona 3 ton low profile....which is amazingly nice so far. Can't believe I've done without one of these all these years because I thought they all could not get under a 4x4...so much more convenient than a toe jack for raising machines already on timbers or machinery skates (like to remove the skate and lower machine onto 4x4.. or vise versa). Especially CNC machines where you need to get far under the coolant guarding to get to the iron base.

We bought 2 of those when we started our move, we used them in the shop, on the trailer, out in the dirt a few times, they were rained on, snowed on amd left out more times than I care to admit. We were making the 18 hour drive in one shot with a midway nap sometimes and caring for the jacks wasn't the top priority, in the end one is still quite good and the other isn't but all things considered I had expected to need another pair before we finished, they are pretty good for what they are and they fit in small spaces.

I don't like the aluminum ones. I bought one for the light weight. I loaned it out, and it came back bent. I replaced it with the yellow daytona, which is a fantastic jack. I knew someone who lost their job and just needed to finish the years and retire, he worked at HF so he could do that. He told me don't buy any jack but the yellow. He said they were the best they had. So I listened. He wasn't wrong.

my aluminum jack, not sure what they guy did that borrowed it, I suspect he didn't chock the wheels, or did something stupid like lifted it on a driveway (not level). but the twist was not removeable, I tried. it took a set and won't give it up. The daytona has so much beef going for it. the way they bend over the top of the jack sides for support. My old walker was not up to this jack. The only thing I don't like is the rapid lift. I find it makes it harder to lift. my walker required many more pumps, but they were so easy to pump. this hf has two pumps, I assume when you are out of rapid pump and have more pressure it bypasses to the smaller pump.

Don’t know if these are sold in the usa:
2 - 3 ton : 2T-C
Very good quality. Mine used to be my dad’s and must be nearing 40 or 50 years and it is still good. Overhauled the seals once and parts are still available.

I've got an old Walker (50's era) 4 ton long frame jack. The pad will go under any thing the front wheels will,about 3" and will lift over 24". It is about 200lb and kind of awkward to use. I had some old lathes that I could lift at the balance point,1/8" off the floor and move them all around easly. They still make them but are over a grand new or $400 rebuilt.

So HF is showing the yellow jack with a min height of 3-3/4". A "standard" 4x4 is only 3.5". Will it actually somehow get under something sitting on a 4x4, or do you have to crib the object up a little more than that?

Back